APEX - ROOM SELECTION HELP

jules815

Hello everyone, 

We haven't sailed on X since pre-Covid, but I'm on the Celebrity website now getting ready to book a transatlantic on Apex for next year. We have a wedding in Ft. Lauderdale next year in April. Thought it would be nice to tag a cruise onto the end of that. Wasn't expecting to do a TA, but oh my gosh this looks so good. And we're newly retired (66 and 62), so why not, right? We've always wanted to go to Portugal, and we'd be there on my birthday. Seems meant to be, right?

Anyway, we usually sail in suites, but since this wasn't expected, going with a veranda this time. I'm fairly familiar with the fancy balconies with the windows that open from watching a Ben and David YouTube video, but can anyone tell me about the port hole verandas? I know some of the ocean is obstructed due to the circular cut out, but that wouldn't be a problem for us. How are those rooms? We prefer being forward and higher up and that's where those are. Wouldn't rule out one of those fancy extended balconies I mentioned if you say they're wonderful.

Would love to book today. Any help is so much appreciated!

7 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Hello everyone, 

We haven't sailed on X since pre-Covid, but I'm on the Celebrity website now getting ready to book a transatlantic on Apex for next year. We have a wedding in Ft. Lauderdale next year in April. Thought it would be nice to tag a cruise onto the end of that. Wasn't expecting to do a TA, but oh my gosh this looks so good. And we're newly retired (66 and 62), so why not, right? We've always wanted to go to Portugal, and we'd be there on my birthday. Seems meant to be, right?

Anyway, we usually sail in suites, but since this wasn't expected, going with a veranda this time. I'm fairly familiar with the fancy balconies with the windows that open from watching a Ben and David YouTube video, but can anyone tell me about the port hole verandas? I know some of the ocean is obstructed due to the circular cut out, but that wouldn't be a problem for us. How are those rooms? We prefer being forward and higher up and that's where those are. Wouldn't rule out one of those fancy extended balconies I mentioned if you say they're wonderful.

For instance, is it considered obstructed because of the shape of the balcony opening?

We had an Aft Port hole view balcony on Apex and thought there was plenty ocean to be seen through the opening. The balcony itself is small but big enough for two to sit on. I'd go with that category again.

We like the Infinite Verandas and would do one again if we couldn’t  do a suite.  The IV can be a plus on a cool weather itinerary or when there is bad weather, as the cabin is larger and the floor to ceiling window lets in plenty of light. 
We did the Beyond TA in October and unfortunately the weather was cold and rainy we were not able to use our veranda or the Retreat Sun Deck. 

The amount of  time do you spend on your balcony is a factor.  The porthole verandas do get you outside but are cramped, the chairs sit facing each other.  If they meet your balcony preference and the location is what you like it should be a winner.

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

Hello everyone, 

My Travel Agent sent me a great deal on that exact TA not to long ago. It didn't fit my calendar, but I do recall that the group rate with the All Included package he quoted me was like only 620.00 more than the Celebrity's website rate for the same room without the All Included. For a 13 night TA with so many sea days that would have been a no brainer for me. Wish I could have gone. Before you book, you can email me if you are interested in more info. rbine0525@gmail.com

Edited by binro01

Thanks everyone!

We're booked. Still can't believe we're doing a transatlantic. We did one back in 2016 on a RC ship and loved it. 

Since we booked with a sale, we opted to go a little nicer with the cabin without going suite class. We'll be in a Prime Edge with Infinite Balcony on deck 9. Funny though, the Celebrity website is selling this as a cruise on APEX. After I booked, my booking confirmation came back saying we're sailing on ASCENT. I called Celebrity, and she confirmed we're on Ascent and not Apex. I told her that it really makes no difference to us, same class ship, newer, we're good with it, but they may want to have someone in IT change their website. 

Anyway, all good we're booked and very excited. We've never been to Portugal, but got close when our last (and only) TA had an emergency evacuation just off the coast of Funchal at 2am. We also have a stop in Tenerife (new to us) and Malaga. We end in Barcelona and will spend a couple of days there before flying home to Chicago.

Very excited to be sailing with Celebrity again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

we're sailing on ASCENT

Ascent is more akin to Beyond than Apex. It's resort deck and sunset bar is much nicer! You will love the ship I'm sure! Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, binro01 said:

Ascent is more akin to Beyond than Apex. It's resort deck and sunset bar is much nicer! You will love the ship I'm sure! Enjoy your cruise!

Oh that's great to hear. We love the Sunset Bar on the other Celebrity ships we've sailed on. I really thought the ships in that class were all the same. I usually do all my research on ships prior to booking, I'm going to have to get busy.