Sim cards for US and Canada

Good day all

Can anyone give us some pointers in using our mobile phones for our trip to Alaska this year.

We land in Vancouver then seven nights cruise finishing in Whittier. We then fly into Seattle for a few days before

travelling back to Perth.

What are the best options for sim cards and prices. We need the phone for booking taxis,using maps and calling 

each other when we get lost in the stores.

Any info would be welcome

albannach

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Albannach said:

Good day all

Can anyone give us some pointers in using our mobile phones for our trip to Alaska this year.

We land in Vancouver then seven nights cruise finishing in Whittier. We then fly into Seattle for a few days before

travelling back to Perth.

What are the best options for sim cards and prices. We need the phone for booking taxis,using maps and calling 

each other when we get lost in the stores.

Any info would be welcome

albannach

Firstly, you need to have a SIM before you board.  I made the mistake of thinking I could buy one at the first port we reached…you can’t.  Try to avoid buying/using a Canadian specific sim whilst you are in Vancouver.  Canada is one of the most expensive countries in the world to buy a prepaid sim.  If you must, have a look at the Lucky sim…(we needed it for 5 weeks skiing too - black spots are a bigger issue than Australia) but roaming is likely to be a better option.  Verizon or AT&T has slightly better coverage in port towns in Alaska.  We used AT&T in July 2022 and had reasonable coverage throughout - but not going up the inside passage and not on the Klondike pass.  I have now purchased an OPTUS prepaid sim for our next 3 month trip (trans-Pacific to Hawaii next month) which allows you to top up zone 1 data and other services as you need them, rather than daily roaming.

I will also be getting g a Verizon eSIM off the internet again as soon as we arrive Hawaii.

Also, Simcorner and other internet retrailers like them do have specials from time to time, on (AT&T) sims delivered to your address in Australia before you go, if you want to avoid an eSim, or shopping when you get there. I do like, and regularly use, these as it saves time and effort when you get there.

• Like 2

Is your phone unlocked? If not you are stuck with roaming. 

What phone do you have? If you have an eSim capable phone (just google your phone) then  consider eSims. I've not used them yet - but I am for an upcoming trip to Canada and the USA. The USA is a bloody nightmare in terms of getting a physical SIM so the eSim is far easier. Download the app, buy a plan - its cheap ie. US$4.50 for 1GB /7 days in the USA follow the instruction, should just connect when you turn your phone on after you land. There's a bunch of  companies but Airalo gets good reports and seems pretty cheap. 

Do you need access to your Australian phone number/text (some banks will text you if you use a card overseas)? Its a huge pain.  I train people to contact me using whatsapp/messenger whatever. I use Skype to call a landline (there's a charge but its minimal). If you have a new iPhone with dual sim capability then you can use your Australian SIM  for calls/text and use the eSim for data.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have explored SIM options for our upcoming trip to USA, which we are also staying at Hawaii.

It was important that our SIM has access to remote USA areas including Hawaii and I know Simcorner has a variety of options.

Some of them include:

- Particular amount of data for use in USA, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada and Mexico - this would be beneficial for you as you are travelling to both Alaska and Canada, but check specifically the coverage in Canada via the map provided

- Unlimited calls and SMS to USA, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada and Mexico mobiles and landline numbers - this would allow you to book taxis, call each other (if another person had a USA SIM Card)

- Unlimited SMS to international mobiles in 100 countries (including Australia) - so you could stay in touch with family back home