Cunard pre-boarding covid test

alc13

We are booked on a QE cruise in Japan next month that is on the enhanced requirements list.  Specifically, "All guests regardless of age are required to take a self-administered Lateral Flow Test within 24 hours OR a PCR test within 48 hours of embarkation..."  plus vaccination.

We travel with our own tests and we planned to use them the day before we embark to satisfy the requirement.  But a thread on another forum indicated that Japan could restrict port entries if covid cases exceed some threshold.  So it seems that Cunard would reduce the risk of being turned away by requiring certified test results.  Can anyone confirm that a self-administered home test result is acceptable?  

Hi @alc13 I think we're booked on the cruise following yours (May 24) and have been trying to keep up with Cunard's Covid test requirements — as well as Japan's. Per the March 24 update on Cunard's website (here) it does say that a self-administered antigen test taken within 24 hours of embarking is acceptable with the following "proof" thereof provided on embarkation:

For Rapid Antigen (RAT)/Lateral Flow results:

• One (1) photo which shows all together, the Lateral Flow negative test result, government issued photo ID (such as your passport) a clock displaying the time (e.g. a watch, mobile phone, wall clock) and date of testing written on a piece of paper.

That said, I'm sure "official" PCR results from a clinic/testing center would be an even safer bet, and we're currently looking into testing options in Tokyo with that in mind. Please keep us updated if Cunard offer any more specifics!

Thank you, @maybealexislost! I hadn't seen that information.  

Are you excited about the cruise?  I am.  We booked it originally for early 2020.  I told Mr ALC that if we have to cancel it I will immediately find another, and he said it's my white whale.  He's got a point.

3 hours ago, alc13 said:

Thank you, @maybealexislost! I hadn't seen that information.  

Are you excited about the cruise?  I am.  We booked it originally for early 2020.  I told Mr ALC that if we have to cancel it I will immediately find another, and he said it's my white whale.  He's got a point.

Yes, we also first booked our trip in 2020! Three reschedules later (with some nice FCC increases from Cunard  along the way, haha!) and we're counting down the days — it's a first visit to Japan and later to Alaska for us, as well as our first voyage on the QE. Here's to making sure there's no Covid-related shenanigans!

If you need a supervised test, Rapid Test and Tracing is good to work with. I used them before two cruises. You supply your own test, and they watch you on a video connection. IIRC, they used Google Meet. You have to write your initials and the date on the test so that you can't swap with a previous negative test. I think the self-certify rules should require that to keep people from reusing or sharing a negative test. And taking a picture of your watch??? That proves nothing. 

On 3/28/2023 at 5:31 AM, maybealexislost said:

Hi @alc13 I think we're booked on the cruise following yours (May 24) and have been trying to keep up with Cunard's Covid test requirements — as well as Japan's. Per the March 24 update on Cunard's website (here) it does say that a self-administered antigen test taken within 24 hours of embarking is acceptable with the following "proof" thereof provided on embarkation:

For Rapid Antigen (RAT)/Lateral Flow results:

• One (1) photo which shows all together, the Lateral Flow negative test result, government issued photo ID (such as your passport) a clock displaying the time (e.g. a watch, mobile phone, wall clock) and date of testing written on a piece of paper.

That said, I'm sure "official" PCR results from a clinic/testing center would be an even safer bet, and we're currently looking into testing options in Tokyo with that in mind. Please keep us updated if Cunard offer any more specifics!

Hi All. Also on Queen Elizabeth on 19 April. Taking a test 24 hours before embarkation is very specific: we haven't yet received any information about our embarkation time...

3 hours ago, OldeEngland said:

Hi All. Also on Queen Elizabeth on 19 April. Taking a test 24 hours before embarkation is very specific: we haven't yet received any information about our embarkation time...

I know, no boarding times yet, and 24 hours is a narrow window anyway when you're en route to the port!  We arrive the day before and will get to Yokohama that afternoon.  We'll take the tests that evening or the next morning.

We are being more careful than usual to avoid covid risk for the next 2 weeks.  It's almost as bad as quarantine.😷

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alc13 said:

I know, no boarding times yet, and 24 hours is a narrow window anyway when you're en route to the port!  We arrive the day before and will get to Yokohama that afternoon.  We'll take the tests that evening or the next morning.

We are being more careful than usual to avoid covid risk for the next 2 weeks.  It's almost as bad as quarantine.😷

Yup, doing just the same: in virtual lockdown from now on! But we've got 3 nights in Tokyo before the cruise, so here's hoping the flight over isn't carrying Covid. Good luck to you, too!

1 hour ago, OldeEngland said:

Yup, doing just the same: in virtual lockdown from now on! But we've got 3 nights in Tokyo before the cruise, so here's hoping the flight over isn't carrying Covid. Good luck to you, too!

And safe travels to you, as well!

Piggybacking in, as it seems like several of you are on this same sailing I am...

Any other American here concerned by this language in the email we received today?

"Please note, that the record card that is given out at the time of vaccination will not be accepted as proof of your vaccination status."

We don't have anything else in the US besides the CDC card.  I'm fully vaxxed, but that's all we have.  I called cunard and they said it is sufficient, but couldn't put it in writing for me.

Any guidance or advice?  I literally am beside myself and so upset.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheLindsay said:

Piggybacking in, as it seems like several of you are on this same sailing I am...

Any other American here concerned by this language in the email we received today?

"Please note, that the record card that is given out at the time of vaccination will not be accepted as proof of your vaccination status."

We don't have anything else in the US besides the CDC card.  I'm fully vaxxed, but that's all we have.  I called cunard and they said it is sufficient, but couldn't put it in writing for me.

Any guidance or advice?  I literally am beside myself and so upset.

What?!?  We haven’t received that email.  Bizarre.  As you say, the CDC card is all we have.  Have you called Cunard?

3 minutes ago, alc13 said:

What?!?  We haven’t received that email.  Bizarre.  As you say, the CDC card is all we have.  Have you called Cunard?

Hi - So yes, I actually called Cunard TWICE and they assured me it was fine and americans can use their CDC original cards, but they won't give it to me in writing.

The email I'm referring to came today with the title "

Important information for your upcoming voyage

Here is the relevant paragraph that has sent me into a complete panic:

Covid19 vaccination and testing requirements

Please visit our website for the most up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination and testing requirements for your voyage.

You’ll be required to show proof of your vaccination status (and booster where applicable) at the terminal prior to boarding, which will also be checked against your photo ID. Please note, that the record card that is given out at the time of vaccination will not be accepted as proof of your vaccination status. Unfortunately, failure to provide proof of vaccination at the terminal will result in denial of boarding at your own expense. You may also be required to show proof of a negative Covid‑19 test at the terminal.

4 minutes ago, TheLindsay said:

Hi - So yes, I actually called Cunard TWICE and they assured me it was fine and americans can use their CDC original cards, but they won't give it to me in writing.

The email I'm referring to came today with the title "

Important information for your upcoming voyage

Here is the relevant paragraph that has sent me into a complete panic:

Covid19 vaccination and testing requirements

Please visit our website for the most up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination and testing requirements for your voyage.

You’ll be required to show proof of your vaccination status (and booster where applicable) at the terminal prior to boarding, which will also be checked against your photo ID. Please note, that the record card that is given out at the time of vaccination will not be accepted as proof of your vaccination status. Unfortunately, failure to provide proof of vaccination at the terminal will result in denial of boarding at your own expense. You may also be required to show proof of a negative Covid‑19 test at the terminal.

I put a call into Cunard just now, too.  I do believe this is just bad wording somehow, but it would be good to get more clarification.  

• Like 1

While this will not impact all of Queen Elizabeth's cruises while she's based in/around Japan these next two months, the country appears to be lifting some of its Covid testing restrictions for travelers.

Via Time Out: "According to Kyodo News, those entering Japan on or after May 8 2023 will no longer be required to present Covid-19 vaccination documents with records of three vaccine doses or proof of a negative Covid-19 test upon arrival."

By my reading, this would mean the enhanced requirements Cunard has in place for QE voyages Q318/A/B (embarking May 15) and Q319/B (embarking May 24) need no longer necessarily apply? (Though ofc, it would be entirely at their discretion, and maybe complicated to roll back given the short notice etc.) My husband and I are on the latter voyage, so will keep this thread updated if we do receive any further information.

• Like 1

Hi upon reading the above, we are sailing (hopefully) on Queen Victoria 20th August for 12 days round the British Isles, does anyone know the Covid protocol on here. We are in the process of booking our 6th Vaccination.   We both had Covid back in March,  are the tests done at home adequate? They charge £50 plus here for a test if you go into a travel agency., some even more. Which is outrageous. That's £100 for two and more for a family. If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Username: Lady of the Nile.