Cell phones in the Baltic

I seem to have a lot of questions to find answers to before doing a Baltic cruise. I'm trying to figure out the best phone service. I 've been told to get a new sims card but am hoping there is a less expensive option. I'm due to get a new cell phone so is there a certain type that I might be better able to use while there? I know I saw some information (before I knew that I would need it!) about certain types of cells. I'm with Verizon.

Verizon is my carrier also, and I just checked with them this past weekend about alternatives since I am going on my Baltic cruise in June. The only way to get your Verizon phone to work in Europe is to get a phone that is both CDMA and GSM (the European protocol) capable. These phone are rather expensive...the Verizon store I visited called it a "World Phone", and it was $399 with a new 2-year agreement. You can then use your Verizon phone in Europe by switching into GSM mode, but you'll be roaming, so the per-minute charges are expensive. Going this route, you do not need a SIM.

Since I will probably be making at least 2 more trips to Europe over the next 12-18 months, I opted to buy an unlocked GSM cell phone and a pre-paid SIM. I found a company that had a package for $199 that included a tri-band unlocked GSM phone, a pre-paid SIM with $60 worth of calling time, a dual voltage charger, and a couple of other little goodies. The air time on the SIM is good for 12 months, and if you re-charge the SIM with more air time you get 12 more months from the date you buy the additional time. The best thing is that incoming calls are free in most countries, and the per minute rates were significantly cheaper than going with Verizon. There are other options as well, such as a rental if you don't plan on going back to Europe anytime soon.

I think if you spend a little time doing some online research you'll find the option that best suits your needs without having to pay Verizon a small fortune in the process!

We traveled all over Europe prior to our Baltic cruise in September. We purchased the mobil phone for $49.00 and it worked in every country (17) that we went to. It was great in St. Petersburg to be able to call the office and check on everything, they were also able to contact us any time they needed us. It did not work out to sea but anytime in port it was great. I'm glad we purchased it as we will be taking it back to Europe in May. This is the website http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

We traveled all over Europe prior to our Baltic cruise in September. We purchased the mobil phone for $49.00 and it worked in every country (17) that we went to. It was great in St. Petersburg to be able to call the office and check on everything, they were also able to contact us any time they needed us. It did not work out to sea but anytime in port it was great. I'm glad we purchased it as we will be taking it back to Europe in May. This is the website http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

looks real good and pretty cheap. how are you billed?

thanks,

Kurt

lionheart..... The site says that the calls are billed to your credit card.

Any information on the new calling service offered onboard some ships, while at sea, using your own cell phone?

Thanks.

I'm doing a comparison right now on the cost difference.

We have Cingular.

Comparing it to the GSM World Phone mentioned on this Thread.

For example:

World Phone call from Russia to USA = $8.95 per minute

Cingular Cell Phone call from Russia to USA = $2.29 per minute.

World Phone from Estonia to USA = $1.95 per minute.

Cingular to USA = $2.29 per minute.

This is without purchasing an international plan from Cingular.

If a plan is purchased (I think it is $3.99 per month) the calls are a lot cheaper.

My DH get A LOT of calls on his cell phone every day. Many dozens.

If he uses his cell phone, he will need to keep it off, so that he is not being charged for calls coming to his phone all day.

This prevents his office from being able to call him and reach him when they need to.

I know, he is on vacation. But, being self employed, it is a little different.

With the GSM World Phone, you buy the phone and they give you a number. So, the only people who can call you are the people you just gave the number to. (The office, family emergencies)

When not traveling internationally, you turn the phone off and do not use it. No monthly fees or usage minimums.

This is information I pulled from the site listed above.

We have T-Mobile and all of their phones you can use overseas. The only thing is that you have to register them for overseas(International) use. It doesn't cost anything to register. There are different rates for each country. In all the countries that the Star Princess goes to in the Baltic it is .99 a minute with the exception of St. Petersburg which is 4.99 and Estonia which is 1.99.

I am a bit confused. If you have a cell phone in your home country, why not just have service on your current cell phone add international calling during the time you are away?

Julia

Because the type of service is different. Europe is gsm, which is fairly new to the US. Unless you have gsm service (does your phone have a sim card), it cannot 'talk' to the switches in Europe.

We have T-Mobile and all of their phones you can use overseas.

Hmm, no. Not all of the phones they sell are dual-band or triple band. Check with the phone's manufacturer to be sure (although the T-Mobile web site is mostly accurate).

I am a bit confused. If you have a cell phone in your home country, why not just have service on your current cell phone add international calling during the time you are away?

Julia

Because not all US carriers offer international calling. In our case we would have to switch to T-mobile and that would do us no good at home. So it is much easier to buy an international phone with a sim card that will work in every country.

Lionheart - you are billed on your credit card, the nice thing is you are only billed for your calls and there is no billing for the months that it sits turned off. For the peace of mind it gave us to be in touch with our office it was worth every cent

Because not all US carriers offer international calling. In our case we would have to switch to T-mobile and that would do us no good at home. So it is much easier to buy an international phone with a sim card that will work in every country.

Lionheart - you are billed on your credit card, the nice thing is you are only billed for your calls and there is no billing for the months that it sits turned off. For the peace of mind it gave us to be in touch with our office it was worth every cent

Just one clarification. International phones with sim cards do not work in EVERY county; only gsm countries. That should cover most of Europe, but you might want to research to be sure.

Just one clarification. International phones with sim cards do not work in EVERY county; only gsm countries. That should cover most of Europe, but you might want to research to be sure.

The one from mobal works in 147 countries. Pretty much everywhere I will be, it does not work in the US but I don't need it here since I have my Sprint cell phone for the US.

Archived