Nieuw Statendam BB King Club, is it mostly Blues music? Any Ballroom dancing? Anyone have the daily they can post here?

gam888

We are considering the Nieuw Statendam in July to Europe. Just wondering if the band in the  BB King Club plays mostly Blues music, or do they play a mix genre of music. We enjoy doing some ballroom dancing, is there a chance we might be able to do a Waltz, Cha Cha or Rumba? The Rock and Roll club, do they play mostly high energy hard rock music?  Is there a "silent disco" event on the ship, or any pre-recorded ballroom music in a lounge at some point. Does anyone have some of the daily agendas they can post here.  Any info on the ship is welcome. Thank you in advance.

The BB King is a mixture of blues, Motown, rock and a couple other genres.

The Rolling Stone Lounge is rock, but the style varies by the talent they have. On a recent B2B cruise, they went from mostly medium 70s rock (think Eagles, BTO, Stones, etc)to a bit more metal (think AC/DC and similar) when a new lead singer was added at the turnaround port. On our cruises, there was a lot of dancing in both RR and BBK venues.

Thanks CruiserBruce for replying my post. Just curious, you mentioned there was a lot of dancing in the BBK venue. What kind of music were people dancing to? When we went on a Holland America cruise years ago, they played mostly Blues music in the BBK, and was not easy to dance to. There were very few dancers there. 

4 minutes ago, gam888 said:

Thanks CruiserBruce for replying my post. Just curious, you mentioned there was a lot of dancing in the BBK venue. What kind of music were people dancing to? When we went on a Holland America cruise years ago, they played mostly Blues music in the BBK, and was not easy to dance to. There were very few dancers there. 

I didn't do a survey. People danced to most all of the music, in my observation...different people to different styles. Every cruise will be different demographics.

In BBK, the pay list also driven by the talent skill set. It might be more of one genre or another on a given cruise, depending on the skill set.

In the BB King lounge on the Rotterdam in February the band played, blues, R&B mostly, but you can dance to it and a lot of people did, one couple did the cha cha cha on almost every song. The R&R group is much harder to dance to, although we danced to a couple of Steve Miller songs.

Every time we have passed by BBK, it is loud (very loud) and not ballroom dance music, but  it generates a lot of more free-form dance energy.  People seem to enjoy it a lot. If they also do slow blues, it would only be an occasional breather.

I have still occasionally seen some ball room dancing, but in the afternoon  - more tea dance? Something you can ask the cruise director to perhaps arrange specially, if venue and sound system is available.

Used to be more formal ballroom dancing and even had male HAL dance hosts, but that too is now in the past.

BB King is a full band including horn section that plays covers of top 40 hits from the last few decades.  It is a great dance  band and fun to listen to.  

onboard the NS now and they do have a ballroom dance band in the Ocean Bar.  It was a hopping place last night during dinner service.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:05 AM, gam888 said:

We are considering the Nieuw Statendam in July to Europe. Just wondering if the band in the  BB King Club plays mostly Blues music, or do they play a mix genre of music. We enjoy doing some ballroom dancing, is there a chance we might be able to do a Waltz, Cha Cha or Rumba? The Rock and Roll club, do they play mostly high energy hard rock music?  Is there a "silent disco" event on the ship, or any pre-recorded ballroom music in a lounge at some point. Does anyone have some of the daily agendas they can post here.  Any info on the ship is welcome. Thank you in advance.

We just got off the N.S. yesterday and I saw "Ballroom Dancing Hour"  many times on the daily schedule.  We didn't participate but I assume it was it was to recorded music.