Changes for South America cruises in Dec 2024 and Winter 2025

Ex-Airbalancer

2 hours ago, hobbsie65 said:

I think the Falkland's are more miss than hit tbh. We will cancel & do Patagonia by land spending a month going from Santiago finishing in Rio. We just booked a back to back to back from Singapore to Vancouver for 2025 so happy to mix it up with a land adventure as well. 

A land vacation in Patagonia is a better way. I would love to visit Torres del Paine someday. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

We had such a nice time at the Sheraton Miramar in Vina Del Mar the day before the cruise we didn't even venture out.

image.png.083c343c033f75d4e2ef3ab31101d2e9.png

We stayed there as well for three nights before our cruise. Interesting architecture. This is before they were acquired by Marriott. 

32424957552_2722965bf5_z.jpg

Sheraton, Viña del Mar, Dec 2016

Edited by mahdnc

Dang, that new itinerary doesn’t appeal to us.  We want more time in Patagonia. We’re thinking Chile, Patagonia, Iguazu for about a month, land travel. Maybe a bit longer and spend time in a warmer place in the southern hemisphere during the northern winter months.  We need to think more about if we still want a Dec departure or perhaps shift to Jan-Feb time frame. If we do Antártica it is going to be expedition style, so other itineraries on large cruise ships that cruise by there aren’t of interest.  Well, guess this means back to the planning. 

Anyone find a land itinerary they like? I speak Spanish so we’re rather adventurous in our South American travel…..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

@Wrk2cruise - Thanks for all the information on DIY how to see the falls.  I'll file it away for our trip!

I’ve been to the Foz three times. I endorse most of what Wrk2cruise said. For our most recent trip, we stayed in smaller more reasonably priced hotel closer to downtown Puerto Iguazu for two nights. The first day we had a private guide who picked us up, took us to the Brazilian side (and retrieved us several hours later.) The cab from airport to hotel came back for us the second morning, dropped us at the Melia hotel, from there we spent the day on the Argentine side, overnight at the Melia, then the cab returned for us in the afternoon to go to the airport to fly to BA to board our cruise 2-3 days later.

By the way, reasonable fluency in Spanish is a plus.

However you do it, go to Iguazu, spend time on both sides, don’t try to squeeze in a quickie before or after a cruise.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Thanks.  Staying on both sides sounds good.  I speak "tourist level" Spanish.  So we could try to get around.  I can ask directions, day hello, etc.  Could not carry on an in depth conversation.

3 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Thanks.  Staying on both sides sounds good.  I speak "tourist level" Spanish.  So we could try to get around.  I can ask directions, day hello, etc.  Could not carry on an in depth conversation.

Just to clarify, we have stayed on the Argentine side except for our day trips across to Brazil.

And just in case you think of renting a car and driving yourself… Note that on the Brazil side, there is a walking path that starts about a mile downriver from the falls. A driver/ guide can drop you there, meet you when you get to the visitor center near the falls. It would be much less convenient if you drive yourselves!

Stan

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Just to clarify, we have stayed on the Argentine side except for our day trips across to Brazil.

And just in case you think of renting a car and driving yourself… Note that on the Brazil side, there is a walking path that starts about a mile downriver from the falls. A driver/ guide can drop you there, meet you when you get to the visitor center near the falls. It would be much less convenient if you drive yourselves!

Stan

OK - I see what you are saying - two hotels (airport + Melia) both on the Argentine side, then a day trip to Brazil side?  

7 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

OK - I see what you are saying - two hotels (airport + Melia) both on the Argentine side, then a day trip to Brazil side?  

Well, close! Two hotels on the Argentine side. But the first, hotel A, was near the downtown area, maybe 10 miles from airport. First night.  Our time in the area Included the day trip from hotel A to Brazil, next day. Then time in/around the town. Still that next day. Then second night overnight in hotel A. Next morning, taxi to Melia, hotel B, early check in. Off to tour the Argentine upper falls area plus some down lower. Overnight there at hotel B. Next morning, early afternoon some more exploration on the Argentine side, then taxi to the airport for the flight to BA.  FYI, our hotel A was Selva de Laurel, a nice comfortable place.

[Our story actually got a bit more complicated. Bad weather in BA, our flight back there was cancelled. The driver who had dropped us off at the airport was still hanging around, he made some calls, found us a low-cost hotel to stay that night, took us there, hotel C, got us back to the airport the next morning for our replacement flight. You should hope you don’t need hotel C.]

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Also, note in the shore booking area, the days are listing the updated itinerary but the shore excursions are still for the old itinerary (e.g. on Falkland Island day still showing excursions for Puerto Madryn). The cruise still triggers an error in the My Reservations area.  So don't get too excited to make plans!

• 2 weeks later...