First Time MSC Cruiser With a Few Questions

pirate4me2

Hello everyone!

After sailing on 25 Carnival cruises, my next sailing will be aboard an MSC ship. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by knowing NOTHING about this line since I know my "usual" line like the back of my hand!  I am sure as my sailing gets closer I will have a few more questions pop up, but for now can you all help put my mind at ease with the ones weighing heavily on it? 

1. We are staying in the YC, and have a drink package. On Carnival they make you sign a receipt for every single drink....does MSC do this as well?

2. I see the YC has it's own special restaurant....do we HAVE to eat there, or can we go to the regular dining room if we don't like the YC menu one night? 

3. Do they have regular bottled water in the YC area that would be included with our drink package, or do we need to bring our Yetis to refill from a bar/buffet? 

4. Does MSC allow you to sit at the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink in your hand, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line? 

Thank you for any info you can provide! 

33 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Hello everyone!

After sailing on 25 Carnival cruises, my next sailing will be aboard an MSC ship. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by knowing NOTHING about this line since I know my "usual" line like the back of my hand!  I am sure as my sailing gets closer I will have a few more questions pop up, but for now can you all help put my mind at ease with the ones weighing heavily on it? 

1. We are staying in the YC, and have a drink package. On Carnival they make you sign a receipt for every single drink....does MSC do this as well?  Within YC, no you will not sign for any drink, unless you get one of the few they have for an upcharge.  Outside of YC, they may run your card or bracelet, but you will not be charged or have to sign (unless you order something that there is a charge for (Johnny Walker Blue label is an example).

2. I see the YC has it's own special restaurant....do we HAVE to eat there, or can we go to the regular dining room if we don't like the YC menu one night?  The concierge or your butler can get you a table in a MDR, but they will try and discourage you.  They can have anything on the MDR menu brought to the YC dining room.  Unless you are meeting friends outside of YC for dinner, there really isn't a need.

3. Do they have regular bottled water in the YC area that would be included with our drink package, or do we need to bring our Yetis to refill from a bar/buffet? There will be unlimited supplies of still and sparkling water in our room and in YC bars (or free from any bar on the ship)

4. Does MSC allow you to sit at the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink in your hand, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line?   This will vary on ship and policy by the YC Director.  We've been on where they didn't want any glassware by the pools (e.g. a beer bottle).  Lately, as long as you have your drink in a plastic glass (which is what they have for all drink service in the One Pool bar), you are most likely fine with your plan.

BTW, I like to think of the One Pool Deck like a very nice Serenity Deck that allows children in the area.  It is very well appointed, and generally there are not too many kids in YC (unless you are sailing during a school break period).  Enjoy it!  We switched from Carnival years ago and never looked back!

Thank you for any info you can provide! 

Answers in your text.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1