Reykjavik taxi question

alyssamma

I'll be in Reykjavik on a cruise and planned to take a taxi from the port to the Sun Voyager statue (using that as a base for a self-guided walking tour).

Does anyone know the approximate cost for a ride like that?

Also, when it is time to return, is the Sun Voyager a good place to pick up a taxi or should we look for someplace else?

Is the Old Harbor a good place to catch a taxi back to the port?

TIA

Edited by alyssamma

Taxis in Iceland are expensive to start, so even short rides aren't cheap.  I don't know current fares but the Taxi Fare Finder site worked well for us when we last used it for Reykjavik a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Taxis in Iceland are expensive to start, so even short rides aren't cheap.  I don't know current fares but the Taxi Fare Finder site worked well for us when we last used it for Reykjavik a few years ago.

How easy was it to get a taxi once you were downtown?

Just now, alyssamma said:

How easy was it to get a taxi once you were downtown?

We ended up walking when we saw the fare and realized our destination was about 45 minutes away by foot and we wanted to see the city, so we didn't try to get a ride

• Haha 1

We took a taxi downtown and I asked the driver where the best place is to pick up a taxi for the return and he indicated the taxi stand near the park with the founders statue  (map attached.)  There is a sign there at the taxi stand. 

If your walking tour ends up in center downtown this would work.   If not, I would ask your driver how to catch a taxi back.

This is a good question to ask as I didn't really see a lot of taxi's  -  several available but not an over abundance so you want to know where to go to get one.   

taxi stand.jpg

16 hours ago, CCJack said:

We took a taxi downtown and I asked the driver where the best place is to pick up a taxi for the return and he indicated the taxi stand near the park with the founders statue  (map attached.)  There is a sign there at the taxi stand. 

If your walking tour ends up in center downtown this would work.   If not, I would ask your driver how to catch a taxi back.

This is a good question to ask as I didn't really see a lot of taxi's  -  several available but not an over abundance so you want to know where to go to get one.   

taxi stand.jpg

Thanks! I saw this reply in another thread and this is what I plan to do.