What happened to Brilliant Lady

Wildcatllamas

1 hour ago, trippingpara said:

I don't think what you're seeing on Google Maps in BL, I think that is RL.  If you notice the 4 life boats sitting on both sides aft overhang the sides.  On BL, the lifeboats are tucked in to be flush so she can fit in the Panama Canal.  If you zoom in on Google Earth, you can clearly see that it is RL as you can zoom in enough to see the name.  Both Google Earth and Google Maps are not current satellite photos as they have to be processed and cleaned by Google before they can upload them.

Thanks for the great spot. 

im sure Google used to date the image capture at some point, but for the life of me cannot remember how to check. 

Got some uplifting information today, Virgin has started paying out commissions for the Dec Sailings, so I would think that's a good indication that the ship will be on schedule.  Doesn't say anything about April, but it's a start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trippingpara said:

I don't think what you're seeing on Google Maps in BL, I think that is RL.  If you notice the 4 life boats sitting on both sides aft overhang the sides.  On BL, the lifeboats are tucked in to be flush so she can fit in the Panama Canal.  If you zoom in on Google Earth, you can clearly see that it is RL as you can zoom in enough to see the name.  Both Google Earth and Google Maps are not current satellite photos as they have to be processed and cleaned by Google before they can upload them.

You have to look at the dates. Some have to be BL because they are within the past few months. But you think pictures from beside the boats are satellite?? They are not and do not get cleaned up and they are user-submitted. 

58 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

You have to look at the dates. Some have to be BL because they are within the past few months. But you think pictures from beside the boats are satellite?? They are not and do not get cleaned up and they are user-submitted. 

I was referring to the top down view, not the street level view.  The top down general view is old and is a satellite.  The street level views are as you said, user uploaded so the dates will range from new to old.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mbot222000 said:

The aerial view is from 4/14/2022... You can check using the "history" or the little time dial / stopwatch thingie...

The pictures on Google Earth / Maps are of the Resilient.
But you can use google earth and see other people's pictures.

This one was taken in August, and it dawned upon me based on the position that this had to be taken from on the Brilliant.

Link to all the pictures  (you may have to cut and paste it into browser)

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/116607257405043313332/photos/@44.4238049,8.8433579,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e2!3m5!1sAF1QipM2QtRhi8TCZbo2SqlHYQgVRd-4XeO_4YBfLFU!2e10!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM2QtRhi8TCZbo2SqlHYQgVRd-4XeO_4YBfLFU%3Dw365-h273-k-no!7i4128!8i3096!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1?entry=ttu

2023-09-02_12-49-59.jpg

On 9/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, DrSch said:

Got some uplifting information today, Virgin has started paying out commissions for the Dec Sailings, so I would think that's a good indication that the ship will be on schedule.  Doesn't say anything about April, but it's a start.

And just to be a downer, someone who is on SL right now said that a bartender told her, "They have shuffled all the crew around who were supposed to be on Brilliant as they might postpone the launch."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

And just to be a downer, someone who is on SL right now said that a bartender told her, "They have shuffled all the crew around who were supposed to be on Brilliant as they might postpone the launch."

Uh oh....Staying tuned til 9/7 for clarification (we hope!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranger1227 said:

What is the significance of the 9/7 date?  Is virgin making an announcement?

Yes, according to their marketing person in the article in travel weekly. Let’s just hope we get a definitive answer on the BL TA - one way or another. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Interesting. Both BL and RL are scheduled to stop in Zeebruges next summer. 

Correct! Although, only BL is booked into Amsterdam, so likely to be the ship based in Portsmouth. Also, the fact that it says ‘Brilliant For You’ at the bottom of the advert is probably quite a big hint!

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

Correct! Although, only BL is booked into Amsterdam, so likely to be the ship based in Portsmouth. Also, the fact that it says ‘Brilliant For You’ at the bottom of the advert is probably quite a big hint!

I was just in the middle of mapping all of that out..   Amsterdam is over night from the way it appears

image.thumb.png.6725a9021a499e53bd36cf139686873c.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrSch said:

I was just in the middle of mapping all of that out..   Amsterdam is over night from the way it appears

image.thumb.png.6725a9021a499e53bd36cf139686873c.png

I also was expecting an Amsterdam overnight, as this would line up with what VV have offered in the past. With the first call scheduled for 7th May, should we say that the first cruise will depart Portsmouth on 6th?

That would leave 5 days between the proposed end of BL’s TA in Lisbon and her first scheduled cruise from UK. It takes 2 days to get to Portsmouth direct from Lisbon, so let’s just say that they extend the TA until 4th, that would leave 2-nights before the first cruise. They would have enough time to do a quick 2-night press event to possibly build hype for the season, which they usually like to do. HOWEVER, the first thing to be confirmed is whether the TA will actually happen or will she just launch from UK?

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

I also was expecting an Amsterdam overnight, as this would line up with what VV have offered in the past. With the first call scheduled for 7th May, should we say that the first cruise will depart Portsmouth on 6th?

That would leave 5 days between the proposed end of BL’s TA in Lisbon and her first scheduled cruise from UK. It takes 2 days to get to Portsmouth direct from Lisbon, so let’s just say that they extend the TA until 4th, that would leave 2-nights before the first cruise. They would have enough time to do a quick 2-night press event to possibly build hype for the season, which they usually like to do. HOWEVER, the first thing to be confirmed is whether the TA will actually happen?

Just now, diva.diva56 said:

Extending the T/A would not be a good option for those of us who are unable to extend it......... An announcement  by Virgin as to the status of this cruise would be  so helpful to all.

I agree, but it has happened before and will potentially happen again! I suppose if they do decide to do this then they could give people the option to disembark in Portugal. Why wont they just tell us, it’s so frustrating! 😤

4 minutes ago, diva.diva56 said:

Extending the T/A would not be a good option for those of us who are unable to extend it......... An announcement  by Virgin as to the status of this cruise would be  so helpful to all.

Could get off in Lisbon I bet. I have another cruise for May 5th out of Rotterdam and have to meet up with my hubby there😀.

Edited by librarylady19

Just yesterday a friend reached out to me all excited that she had just seen Brilliant Lady being in Iceland in July of 2024. She said she had seen the itinerary and it was out of Portsmouth. When I asked where she had seen it she couldn't remember. I wonder if the Saturday night Labor Day party was a bit to much for her.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, diva.diva56 said:

What I have seen so far, is that they are selling shore things for the Brilliant for both December, and January (as the days get marked off).  They have also paid out c omissions on the first few Brilliant Cruises, and are still selling the December - April cruises on her.  So if they are going to cancel it, they better do it soon, as at this point people are getting airfare and hotels, and these are not covered by the insurance Virgin offers.  They are trying to build a customer base, but if they piss off too many people, they won't come back.  As a TA I have almost $100,000 in sales on the Brilliant for January.. if they cancel those on me now, I have wasted a year of my life selling their stuff, and I won't bother in the future. 
As to the Trans-Atlantic.. I have booked airfare, post cruise hotels and such, and would love to know if I should cancel this stuff before it becomes too late.  If the ship isn't going to make it here for Dec/Jan, I doubt they will have it come here on a TA.. 

And nothing says whether or not they are going to say anything about the Brilliant, other than starting to sell cruises on her out of Portsmouth starting in late April.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

Just yesterday a friend reached out to me all excited that she had just seen Brilliant Lady being in Iceland in July of 2024. She said she had seen the itinerary and it was out of Portsmouth. When I asked where she had seen it she couldn't remember. I wonder if the Saturday night Labor Day party was a bit to much for her.

I am almost at the point where I think they are putting out fake stuff to keep those of us hunting satisfied.. .

• Haha 2