Spent our wad in Cozumel cabana...what to do in Progresso

snorkler8

Carnival Breeze in May 2023....We booked a nice private cabana in Cozumel so our 11 month old grandson can have a nice beach day and still get in his nap.  Now what is a good option to do in Progresso? I think our son and DIL (4 months pregnant) have decided against doing a ruins tour...another beach day??  If so what do you recommend? TIA!

Probably not much help, as I've only been to Progresso once, but we did a cheap beach day there.  You take the free bus from the port, down the 4-mile pier, and park a couple of blocks from the beach.  There's a little market area where the bus stops for trinkets and such.  The beach is pretty good, and chair/umbrella rentals are reasonable.  We walked a bit down the boardwalk and negotiated free chairs/umbrellas for agreement to buy food and drink from the restaurant.  Incessant vendors were really the only negative.

The next time we go, we will probably take the trip to Merida.  My understanding is that the bus ride isn't too expensive and Merida is a pretty cool historical city.

• Like 1

Thank you!  

I think this was the beach my DH and I got a massage on the beach?...so many years ago so I'm not certain.  There were lots of people lined up to offer you a massage.   We were pretty greasy afterwards but it was fun lol

• 4 weeks later...

Remind to all that the place is called Progreso with one S. Progresso is a soup. 

May is the hottest time of the year here (temps are currently in high 30's and low 40's (celsius of course) so keep that in mind. A/C and or water are a must as the sun is killer.

• 4 weeks later...

There are several decent resorts with day passes that are not too expensive.  The water at Progreso is not the gin clear water that you see at Coz, plus, the wind always blows there.  A resort with a nice pool and AI should fit your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

We just walked from the bus station to the beach.  It was actually one of the best beach days we had.  Paid $10 or so for chairs and umbrella then ordered a bucket of beer.  I will say that there were people trying to sell items or wanting to play songs for us on the beach.  We just politely said no thanks and they moved on.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/11/2023 at 6:24 PM, clackey said:

There are several decent resorts with day passes that are not too expensive.  The water at Progreso is not the gin clear water that you see at Coz, plus, the wind always blows there.  A resort with a nice pool and AI should fit your needs.

We are using this option in Cozumel, have done it before and loved it, but haven't seen any for Progreso on the site we use (Resort for a Day.) Do you have any specific recommendations? 
My main reason for doing this would be to have AI and not worry about cash (outside of tips) and not be bothered by the beach vendors I hear a lot about. 

On 6/26/2023 at 1:27 PM, stoddaj1 said:

We just walked from the bus station to the beach.  It was actually one of the best beach days we had.  Paid $10 or so for chairs and umbrella then ordered a bucket of beer.  I will say that there were people trying to sell items or wanting to play songs for us on the beach.  We just politely said no thanks and they moved on.

We may end up doing this- do you recommend bringing pesos, or was USD okay? Do they come to you on the beach with menus, or how does it work to order food & drinks? Who do you pay for the umbrellas? I've heard of scams when you sit under an umbrella and someone comes to collect money from you who actually has no right to charge for the umbrellas.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:33 PM, mamaneedsavacay said:

We are using this option in Cozumel, have done it before and loved it, but haven't seen any for Progreso on the site we use (Resort for a Day.) Do you have any specific recommendations? 

We went to Reef Yucatan Resort many years ago.  It was pretty good with a big pool, swim-up bar, and buffet.  There was a good stretch of beach and volleyball net.  They also had a trip to the Xcambo ruins just a short distance from the resort. I would do it again.  I have seen reviews on Tecnohotel and Slicer, but have not made it to them yet.

• Thanks 1