Vaping on NCL Star

jay888

On 4/23/2023 at 3:29 PM, fshagan said:

The NHS supports vaping over cigarette smoking, so this doesn't surprise me.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:19 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

3rd no one "supports: either of these dangerous activities.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:58 PM, fshagan said:

The NHS, the health agency of the country the OP comes from,  does recommend vaping nicotine for smokers over smoking cigarettes.

"Nicotine vaping is substantially less harmful than smoking. It's also one of the most effective tools for quitting smoking."

https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking/vaping-to-quit-smoking/

11 hours ago, UKstages said:

they were, at best, imprecise in the language they used in their vaping "recommendation."

I have quoted the pertinent statements. Please let me know where you see that I said anything other than what the NHS says. The passenger is FROM the UK where the NHS guidance is pertinent.

I specifically stated that the NHS supports vaping over cigarette smoking. They actively encourage nicotine vaping over smoking because they believe it is much less dangerous.

I understand you two are on a crusade about vaping, but I was just stating facts and did not include my opinion. I am not attempting to argue with advocates for either side.

The reason there is a difference between the NHS and America is that the NHS is taking a harm reduction position. The US takes a precautionary principle position. I have not indicated which one I support.

This will be my last off-topic post on this subject. I just wanted to clear up that I did not say anything pro or con vaping, but simply reported the facts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Please let me know where you see that I said anything other than what the NHS says.

i didn't say that and i didn't criticize you; i criticized the NHS and said they were imprecise in their language.  any guidance that "encourages" people to vape and talks about the "full benefits of vaping" is misleading, at best. it creates confusion and instills confidence in the public, who may mistakenly believe that vaping is "safe." it is not, whether done on a cruise ship or on shore.

pertinent to this topic, it creates the impression for those sailing on NCL ships that vaping is socially acceptable and can cause no harm to those around the ones who choose to vape in nonsmoking areas, which is what i'm most concerned about.  i've seen a lot of surreptitious vaping on NCL ships by people who think the rules don't apply to them. i've inhaled the vapors against my will. it is both annoying and harmful.

14 minutes ago, fshagan said:

I understand you two are on a crusade about vaping...

i can only speak for myself, but why on earth would you conclude there is a crusade of some kind?

i've seen the list of toxic chemicals and cancer causing agents and hard metals in electronic cigarette vapor and concluded that it was harmful to those vaping and to those around them, on or off cruise ships. that's not a crusade, that's science.

i don't care if somebody smokes or vapes, as long as they don't do it where it's not permitted.

17 minutes ago, fshagan said:

The reason there is a difference between the NHS and America is that the NHS is taking a harm reduction position.

the reason there is a difference between the NHS and america is because one is a government health agency and one is a country. as for the "harm reduction position," that is a curious thing to say, as it ignores the NHS's questionable documentation on vaping and the cancer causing agents that have been found in the vapor emitted.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:58 PM, fshagan said:

"Nicotine vaping is substantially less harmful than smoking. It's also one of the most effective tools for quitting smoking."

This is 100% false.  Vaping nicotine is far more dangerous than smoking a cigarette.  First off liquid nicotine is so harmful that handling it requires a full hazmat suit.  The steam/vapor from vaping gets far deeper into the lungs than the solids from smoking a cigarette.  I know a fairly large number of people who work in the industry, specifically in R&D. Anyone who is vaping thinking it is 'safer' than smoking tobacco or a good way to quit smoking is sadly misleading themselves.  Smoking (whether a traditional tobacco cigarette or the electronic version) is nothing more than committing suicide on thr time delay plan.  Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

This is 100% false.  Vaping nicotine is far more dangerous than smoking a cigarette.  First off liquid nicotine is so harmful that handling it requires a full hazmat suit.  The steam/vapor from vaping gets far deeper into the lungs than the solids from smoking a cigarette.  I know a fairly large number of people who work in the industry, specifically in R&D. Anyone who is vaping thinking it is 'safer' than smoking tobacco or a good way to quit smoking is sadly misleading themselves.  Smoking (whether a traditional tobacco cigarette or the electronic version) is nothing more than committing suicide on thr time delay plan.  Enjoy!

My vape has gone in the bin, turmeric capsules all the way for me now