Are Cunard cutting down on number of Gala nights

Windsurfboy

On 4/30/2023 at 5:03 AM, exlondoner said:

it does seem to me that, if you are going to go to the trouble of packing dinner jackets and proper shoes, etc, you may as well get some use out of them, and have lots of formal nights.

Precisely!

• Like 1

Could it the reduction in formal nights be a money saving exercise? I know a lot of cruisers expect to see a higher level of food in the MDR on a formal night. So if you reduce the number of formal nights you also reduce the food bill. It's not much but when your ledger is billions in the red every little helps.

I also suspect that Cunard aren't as bothered about the opinions of existing passengers as they are about the opinions of potential passengers. It's no good catering only to your shrinking pool of existing customers to the exclusion of new passengers or you'll eventually go bust. So if potential passengers are saying that formal nights are offputting they'll get rid.

I was worried before my first trip with Cunard but find its something that I enjoy now. But I did have to buy a lot of dresses for that first trip because like most people my age, I don't own a lot of formal wear. It's just not called for these days.