Budapest Thermal Baths

joy1rn

We are sailing the Romantic Danube with Viking June 24. I really want to go to the Szechenyi baths but Viking tells me they go to one of 3 baths depending on ??? Can anyone who has done this cruise recently tell me what baths they went to. Thank you. 

On past cruises Viking made excursions available to the Lukács Baths. We have been to these baths on our own and found them to be very nice and reasonably priced. Not as famous or iconic as the Gellért or Széchenyi spas but not as busy either. Many locals will be found here. 

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, joy1rn said:

We are sailing the Romantic Danube with Viking June 24. I really want to go to the Szechenyi baths but Viking tells me they go to one of 3 baths depending on ??? Can anyone who has done this cruise recently tell me what baths they went to. Thank you. 

I can confirm that when I went on the Grand European in October, we did use the Szechenyi. I believe they only use the other baths when the Szechenyi is fully closed, as one of the baths was closed for renovations during our time but the spa was still fully open.

• Thanks 1

In 2018 Viking did not take us to Szechenyi even though it was open.  Broke DH's heart; he lived in Budapest when he was young and was looking forward to going back to Szechenyi.  Hopefully Nosdrachir is right about the change.

Last November we went to Gellert baths, and as we were leaving a small tour was following the Viking Lolipop.   They were checking out the fancy entryway, it didn't look like they were entering.  Maybe a special walking tour.

As far as Gellert goes, it was convenient, but crowded and noisy, with teenagers taking selfies in the pools.  In no way relaxing.

We're on a November Viking Grand European ending in Budapest and it does list Szechenyi baths as an optional tour, for a hefty price.  It is pretty easy to get to using public transportation if you want to go it alone.  The zoo is nearby and a nice way to spend time if you are castle/cathedraled out.

• Like 1

We did Viking Danube in April and went to Szenchenyi Baths.  Our tour was combined with another Viking ship group (we were ending; they were starting.)  Our cruise director put together bags (we got to keep the bags) with towels, robes and slippers.  The other ship's group only got towels.  May not matter as much in June, but the robes were great for walking to/from the outdoor pools, and we could keep our towels dry for changing later.  Fabric slippers not helpful (we left them in our cabin to take home later); bring your own waterproof flip flops!  (If CD doesn't provide robe for Baths, or you just want robes and slippers for during your cruise, you can ask your cabin steward for them!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1