Excursions/hiking in Skagway

crazycatlady82

Hello! Our hiking tour (Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float) was cancelled due to severe storm damage. We were automatically booked on the Dyea Trail Hike & Float tour and am wondering if anybody has done this one....or if anybody has other suggestions. We're fairly active in our 40s, heading to Alaska on the Carnival Miracle in August. 

We're also open to suggestions for other tours in Skagway. We're comfortable booking private excursions. We've also looked at the rail tour also--open to thoughts and suggestions! 

TIA!

2 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

Hello! Our hiking tour (Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float) was cancelled due to severe storm damage. We were automatically booked on the Dyea Trail Hike & Float tour and am wondering if anybody has done this one....or if anybody has other suggestions. We're fairly active in our 40s, heading to Alaska on the Carnival Miracle in August. 

We're also open to suggestions for other tours in Skagway. We're comfortable booking private excursions. We've also looked at the rail tour also--open to thoughts and suggestions! 

TIA!

The bridge to access the trail was washed out.  The alternate tour will take you around the Dyea townsite and probably to the slide cemetary.  It is very interesting, but mostly flat terrain in the same area. You will then drive to where the rafts put in for a float down the river.

We got the same news about our excursion last night. I'm debating canceling or switching to just the float tour and trying to add something else. I was really liking the idea of the more strenuous hike that went directly to the where the rafts load in.

For those of you familiar with the area, is the Dyea townsite mostly in the trees? Besides being flat, is the scenery, flora, etc. pretty similar?

6 minutes ago, Alaska-vegan said:

For those of you familiar with the area, is the Dyea townsite mostly in the trees? Besides being flat, is the scenery, flora, etc. pretty similar?

About a decade ago the NPS began more work in the Dyea townsite locating where the buildings were located.  A number of the buildings no longer exist as lumber was re-used in Skagway and the environs.  You will see broad open areas lined by large trees.  These were the major streets which had trees planted on the sides of the streets.  You are asked not to deviate much from the trail system as some of the now gone structures had basements which have been overgrown  by enough ground cover that they are obscured.  But you could still fall into them.  There is also the slide cemetery.  But I find it interesting to walk out along the Chilkoot Trail for an hour or so.  

It is actually a pretty area.  There are picnic tables and a campground.  We have stayed at the campground which is rather primitive.

@wolfie11:  Actually a few of the store fronts and partial remnants of the Dyea buildings are left.  I really shouldn't admit it but we have some photos of me, off the official trails, in front of several of the remaining building remnants.  A number of the buildings had root cellars and rudimentary basements, so deviating off the "official" paths is what a historian does when she is being very, very bad.  

The setting of Dyea is lovely.  For those who are interested just google "Dyea" for more info.  And walking out onto the Chilkoot Trail even for a brief time just makes my skin crawl given the history of the Klondike Gold Rush.  Just can feel the ghosts of those stampeders and their stories.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We didn’t book any excursions for Skagway as we just wanted to walk around the town.  We did some Geocaching and found a nice trail in the Smugglers Cove area. It was peaceful and quiet. Take the Skagway footbridge off of State St. and at the end of the bridge turn left.  There is some trail maintenance going on now so I don’t think you can do a loop. We did an out and back hike. Sturdy shoes and a walking stick would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been hiking in Skagway for many years. Depending on what type of hiking 🥾 you want to do. Lower Dewey lake is a easy hike, Upper Reid Falls is moderate. I would say (4-5 hours) round trip for me last year. Upper Dewey Lake is a difficult hike but we’ll worth it if your in good physical condition!! Amazing view of the lake and surrounding snow cap mountains ⛰️!! My favorite place to get away from everyone and just be at peace ✌️ with nature.. Google these for more information. Anywhere you can hike in Alaska will be a treat to enjoy!! Good luck 🍀 

• 2 weeks later...

We did the revised "Dyea Hike and Float" last week through Skagway Float Tours. The "hike" was more of a nature walk through forested areas on flat ground. We still enjoyed it a lot. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the plants and trees in the area and we got to learn about the Klondike gold rush as we walked. The river float afterwards was quite beautiful and peaceful.

If you are looking for more of a strenuous or longer hike, I'd book something different or add it on to your plans. We did a slightly more moderate, but short hike from the Skagway port area to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's cove after our excursion.

I'm glad we did the Dyea part though before the float. It was nice to just walk around and learn about the area and the rafting part may have felt too short.