Seattle hotels near port

emmajo

My searches for this topic have been unsuccessful because the results I have found are somewhat outdated. I am looking for recommendations for a pre-embarkation hotel that isn’t going to break the budget (under $300). We plan to fly into Seattle a couple of days before our cruise in October. For those more experienced than us, do you stay closer to the airport or the cruise port? Any favourite hotels?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

There are many threads here on hotels. You may think they are outdated because the cruise season in Alaska has just started within the last week, so there are no 2023 experiences yet. And, there are two ports...Pier 66, which is in the downtown, and has several hotel near by, and Pier 91, which is outside of the downtown, and doesn't really have much close. In either case, the true "downtown" is a fairly compact area, and Uber and taxi rides are very short and inexpensive.

And yes, downtown can be expensive, particularly during cruise season. Only you can decide if you need to stay by the airport. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is an option to meet budgetary needs. Also frequently discussed here.

Thank you CruiserBruce for the links to these updated responses. Clearly, I hadn’t found this during my search. My idea of outdated was the many posts and reviews I saw which were at least 5 years old. Much has changed in our world since then!

I appreciate your help. Thanks again!

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are many threads here on hotels. You may think they are outdated because the cruise season in Alaska has just started within the last week, so there are no 2023 experiences yet. And, there are two ports...Pier 66, which is in the downtown, and has several hotel near by, and Pier 91, which is outside of the downtown, and doesn't really have much close. In either case, the true "downtown" is a fairly compact area, and Uber and taxi rides are very short and inexpensive.

And yes, downtown can be expensive, particularly during cruise season. Only you can decide if you need to stay by the airport. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is an option to meet budgetary needs. Also frequently discussed here.

If you are flying in a couple of days before the cruise you obviously want to visit Seattle and see some sights.  This would be impractical if you stay south of Seattle in the SeaTac or Renton area.  The only way staying south of Seattle would be reasonable would be if you got a rental car to get you around.

If you want to explore Seattle on foot and with rideshare, then a Seattle downtown hotel is a must.  The prices might take your breath away, but you should be able to find a room for less than $300/night, but the Fairmont Olympic, Edgewater and a few other high end properties will be off the radar.  There are a few decent properties in the lower Queen Ann neighborhood.  The Mediterranean Inn is nice and prices are generally good for a downtown property.  You'll be closer to most of the tourist activities there, too.

You have lots of options on where to stay.  Any chain brand will be just fine.  There is a lot of hotel room competition in Seattle, so the vast majority of the hotels are clean and well kept, especially the chain/franchise brands.  Google is your friend when looking up hotels.  If you are a member of a chain loyalty program, don't be afraid to book direct with the hotel and get your points and stays.

My recommendation is to determine what you want to see while in Seattle and then find a hotel location which is within walking distance of your most important points of interest.