Are Positano steps very strenuous?

ebs0303

We will be on Celebrity Reflection in July and on our Naples day have signed up for an excursion that would take us to Positano and Capri. It is marked as "strenuous" and I assume that because of steps in Positano? Has anyone done this excursion? My wife is in great shape (52), I feel like I am in ok shape (51) though overweight, but do Peloton and exercise regularly without issue. Are those steps a significant issue? We climbed the steps to Mount Royal in Montreal last summer, and did fine, though I did have to take a couple of brief breaks. I've gotten winded on more big hiking type incline paths and had to take breaks (going up Bright Angel trail in Grand Canyon, snakepath of Masada). I don't recall any issues climbing up to the Acropolis a few years ago.  The description on the excursion says should be able to walk 2.5 mi over cobblestone, inclines, on steps, etc. I don't think it would be a problem for me, but assume its not one straight 2.5 mile hike/walk. I want to make sure I can keep up! Any other insights?

Also, the excursion is listed as a photography excursion - have not done one of these before, assume they make plenty of stops for photos?

You shouldn't have any problem, based on your self description. 

I would as about the specifics for this excursion as cruise lines are notorious for obfuscating with their descriptions.  Many cruisers discover that their stop at Positano is nothing more than a photo opportunity from the road above, with no time in the village itself.  Buses cannot enter the village.

38 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You shouldn't have any problem, based on your self description. 

I would as about the specifics for this excursion as cruise lines are notorious for obfuscating with their descriptions.  Many cruisers discover that their stop at Positano is nothing more than a photo opportunity from the road above, with no time in the village itself.  Buses cannot enter the village.

This was pricey enough and the description states: "Departing from the pier in Naples, you’ll soak in magnificent views of Mount Vesuvius while making your way south along the Amalfi Coast toward the picturesque village of Positano. The village boasts a patchwork of flat and domed roofs, vine-covered stairways which tumble down toward a beautiful beach, and a lovely bay dotted with vibrantly-coloured fishing boats. Enjoy leisure time to explore and photography this elegant town and its collection of designer boutiques, shops, and seaside cafés."

Not sure how much time we get there, but seems clear we have time to walk around. I understand your point though, many of these descriptions are purposefully vague.

I'm sure you'll be just fine.  Positano is less steps and more incline.  Go at your own pace.  All the stores offer pretty much the same goodies.  There are several eating spots looking out to the water that are lovely, even if you just stop for a drink.  Be prepared for crowds.  If you're on a big bus, you'll have to walk more than a smaller guide.  But absolutely gorgeous!  I can't comment on Capri - we haven't been there. 

We've booked the independent tour guide Italy Sharing (aka Joe Bananas) several times and have had great success.  We keep it to no more than 12 people and do the Sorrento, Positano, Ravella tour that includes lunch.  It's fabulous.  Enjoy!

I will echo Euro Cruisers caution about cruise line excursions to Positano.  Tour buses are not allowed into the town.  Unless the excursion is in a much smaller vehicle, they would need to drop folks along the Amalfi Drive which overlooks Positano. It is a long walk down to the lower part of town, although there is a public bus line that is permitted into the village.

The posted tour description leaves me confused as to what they provide.  For tours that get you in to Positano, we have long suggested finding a very small group tour (try you CV roll call) where a few folks share a car/driver or small van.

Hank

We stayed on the Amalfi Coast  for 7 nights. We took the local Sita busses and ferries everywhere we went. Positano required a lot of steps to get into town from the highway. More so from one end of town than the other though. Either end required a number 0f steps, with one an extensive number. I would sure want to know a bit more if I were worried about this as Positano from the hwy is lovely, you really do need to get into the heart of the town to experience it. 
There are public ferries that transport people up and down the coast from Naples. Maybe it’s worth a look at seeing if that is an option to entering Positano from the coast rather than the upper highway if stairs are a serious concern. I don’t know current status on this idea but the ferries are a pretty cool way to explore the Amalfi Coast. 

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will echo Euro Cruisers caution about cruise line excursions to Positano.  Tour buses are not allowed into the town.  Unless the excursion is in a much smaller vehicle, they would need to drop folks along the Amalfi Drive which overlooks Positano. It is a long walk down to the lower part of town, although there is a public bus line that is permitted into the village.

The posted tour description leaves me confused as to what they provide.  For tours that get you in to Positano, we have long suggested finding a very small group tour (try you CV roll call) where a few folks share a car/driver or small van.

Hank

Appreciate the caution. I'm going to contact Celebrity to clarify, though the description does say "enjoy leisure time to explore". Probably not unheard of but that would be very misleading... Its a (relatively) more expensive excursion, so I'm thinking that means not a big bus of people but I could be wrong. Will also plan on confirming with the excursions desk once we get on the ship, though will need to have a backup plan - any issues with getting ferry tickets to Capri a week in advance?

27 minutes ago, ebs0303 said:

Appreciate the caution. I'm going to contact Celebrity to clarify, though the description does say "enjoy leisure time to explore". Probably not unheard of but that would be very misleading... Its a (relatively) more expensive excursion, so I'm thinking that means not a big bus of people but I could be wrong. Will also plan on confirming with the excursions desk once we get on the ship, though will need to have a backup plan - any issues with getting ferry tickets to Capri a week in advance?

I believe there still two separate ferry lines between Molo Beverello and Capri (someone else can confirm or correct me).  Tickets are only for one particular line and not accepted by the other.  We have always just walked over to the Molo Beverello ferry port and bought tickets in the next high speed ferry.  As soon as we arrive on Capri see stop at the ticket office, check the return schedule and buy our return tickets.  We have no experience in buying in advance since we prefer to keep our options open until we see the weather.   

I am sure others here disagree :).  

Hank