Cabin types

This is my first time on Royal Caribbean. I just booked on Radiance of the Seas to join some family on that Alaska Cruise. I'm confused by the number of cabin types on the RoyalUp page. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any information on Royal Caribbean for all those types. Many aren't even mentioned. 

Other lines I've traveled on have little floor plans showing the typical layouts for their various cabin types. 

Is a Scenic Ocean View cabin bigger than a regular Ocean View cabin? What makes it different from the regular ocean view?

How spacious is a Spacious Ocean View? 

And an Ultra spacious Ocean View?

What is a Sunset Balcony? (I did find a thread where that was asked before, but it seemed that nobody knew the answer at that time.)

Then Balconies also have regular, scenic and spacious.

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

This is my first time on Royal Caribbean...Radiance of the Seas ... little floor plans showing the typical layouts for their various cabin types. 

...Scenic Ocean View cabin vs regular Ocean View cabin?

...Spacious Ocean View? 

...Ultra Spacious Ocean View?

...Sunset Balcony?

Then Balconies also have regular, scenic and spacious.

Enjoy your trip - This might help answer your questions.

The Information is available - I did a quick search, this is what I found.

For an Alaska cruise I would go for a cabin with amazing views.

The ships are smaller which allows them to move into tighter spaces, I have been on sister ships to Radiance of the Seas - I prefer larger ships but NOT for this cruise itinerary...smaller ship is better.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Royal Caribbean

image.thumb.png.de5aa563b625d31d9fde0e8da8477ef6.pngimage.thumb.png.1bed6ae75dbd4ac7eb66486e5f531e83.png

Edited by WeAreCruisingRUs
Added more pictures from Royal Caribbean website
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

This is my first time on Royal Caribbean...Radiance of the Seas. I'm confused by the number of cabin types on the RoyalUp page...I don't see any information on Royal Caribbean for all those types. Many aren't even mentioned...

If you cannot find the cabin category, It must be sold out.

What other cruise lines have you enjoyed?

• Like 1

Royalup is handled by a third party so don't be fooled by their photos.

I have never heard of a scenic OV cabin or a sunset balcony.

A spacious OV will have about 20 sq' of extra space.   

Ultra spacious OV cabins are great for families as they usually have a separate area for kiddos to sleep.  Much larger.  Usually at front of the ship, depending on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Royalup is handled by a third party so don't be fooled by their photos.

While Plusgrade handles most of the Royal Up process, the initial bidding still happens within RCI's control - it's RCI that provides the deceiving pics.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WeAreCruisingRUs said:

Enjoy your trip - This might help answer your questions.

The Information is available - I did a quick search, this is what I found.

For an Alaska cruise I would go for a cabin with amazing views.

The ships are smaller which allows them to move into tighter spaces, I have been on sister ships to Radiance of the Seas - I prefer larger ships but NOT for this cruise itinerary...smaller ship is better.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Royal Caribbean

None of those mention the "scenic" cabins nor the "sunset balcony". I'll be sharing the space with my granddaughter and we would be fine in a regular cabin but I'd appreciate a bit more space. I've been on two prior Alaska cruises and didn't spend much time in my room. Also, this cruise is more about traveling with the family and my son and daughter-in-law are getting a balcony so I expect I'll be in my cabin less time.

16 hours ago, WeAreCruisingRUs said:

If you cannot find the cabin category, It must be sold out.

What other cruise lines have you enjoyed?

The cabin types are all offered on RoyalUp so I expect not sold out. I was looking for the cabin type names on the deck plan so that wouldn't be affected by the sold out status of a particular cruise. 

Our first Alaska cruise was on Crystal - we got a good deal on a balcony guarantee that time but spent very little time on the balcony - like the upcoming cruise it was port intensive and on the scenic sailing days we preferred being on deck or in the lounge where we could change boat sides for the current view. Our first cruise was on Celebrity but that was a long time ago. I also did one cruise on Star Clippers and probably will use them again when going solo as they have a lot of no-solo supplement offers.

Most of my cruises including have been on Windstar ships. That includes a cruise from Japan to Seward followed by 14 days cruising from Seward to Vancouver.

18 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

None of those mention the "scenic" cabins nor the "sunset balcony". I'll be sharing the space with my granddaughter and we would be fine in a regular cabin but I'd appreciate a bit more space. I've been on two prior Alaska cruises and didn't spend much time in my room. Also, this cruise is more about traveling with the family and my son and daughter-in-law are getting a balcony so I expect I'll be in my cabin less time.

The cabin types are all offered on RoyalUp so I expect not sold out. I was looking for the cabin type names on the deck plan so that wouldn't be affected by the sold out status of a particular cruise. 

Our first Alaska cruise was on Crystal - we got a good deal on a balcony guarantee that time but spent very little time on the balcony - like the upcoming cruise it was port intensive and on the scenic sailing days we preferred being on deck or in the lounge where we could change boat sides for the current view. Our first cruise was on Celebrity but that was a long time ago. I also did one cruise on Star Clippers and probably will use them again when going solo as they have a lot of no-solo supplement offers.

Most of my cruises including have been on Windstar ships. That includes a cruise from Japan to Seward followed by 14 days cruising from Seward to Vancouver.

The only ship that has those 2 cabin types is icon.  Look at the deck plans for details. 

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Hi New_Cruiser,

I am just trying to help...Can you upload a screenshot of what you see on the Royal Upgrade offer? Please black out any information that is sensitive or necessary to keep private.

28 minutes ago, WeAreCruisingRUs said:

Hi New_Cruiser,

I am just trying to help...Can you upload a screenshot of what you see on the Royal Upgrade offer? Please black out any information that is sensitive or necessary to keep private.

I appreciate that - I was just trying to explain why I'm confused and what my goals are. Tone of voice is missing on-line and makes it easy to misinterpret. I've made some minimal bids so can't show the original offer screen. Here is what I can get.

RoyalUp.jpg

looks like an IT issue showing cabin types that don't exist. 

Also worth noting that royalup showing has nothing to do with if a class is sold out or not, they take bids on  fully sold out cabin types in case someone no shows or cancels.