Dance hosts

mia mom

It seems there will be dance hosts on some voyages, but not all. It you want to be sure it is probably best to call Cunard directly and ask about your specific cruise. However some dance leads are dancing with ladies who don't have a partner even if there are no Cunard appointed dance hosts, and that was happening on the QV during the cruise to the Canaries that returned yesterday morning.

2 hours ago, mia mom said:

Are dance hosts back on the ships this summer?  just wondering  if I should pack dance shoes.  thank you 

Yes, certainly pack you dance shoes there are many solo gentlemen guests, excellent dancers like myself who attend the 12 noon dance lessons where you can be sure of male or lead partner . 

My information is also some but not all cruises on QM2 and QE. I've heard nothing about QV. However, if Cunard is sourcing hosts from a UK agency rather than an American one, my sources aren't as good. I also agree with Bell Boy, there there are often solos who dance.

We need to know more about you. American or International style? What level? Non-standard dances like Salsa or Argentine Tango?

Maybe posting on the Roll Call for your specific cruise would help?

thank you for your replies. I plan to do  the northern light cruise on the QV which is later in the year. Hopefully  they will have hosts on board.   I do both American and International  and most non-standard dances including Argentine Tango but good at nothing.  I just dance for fun. 

Roll call is a good way to find out. Once my cruise is firm I will try roll call.   

That is simply not true.  I know some dance hosts who have been invited to be on board a Cunard cruise from the UK in early June. I presume that the agent you talked to in Canada did not have current information concerning UK departures.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
Added sentence

• 4 weeks later...

In North America when you call Cunard you get the Princess/Cunard call centre in California. I suspect they have been asked this question before and their answer shouldn't be ignored, although it probably is incomplete and US-centric.

One possibility- the hosts were invited by a dance group, not Cunard.

Another possibility- the UK sailings, Cunard is responding to the bitter complaints from UK ladies about the poor quality of the hosts and are only ordering from the UK agency/agencies. While the US agency claims to have some (rather minimal) standards, they also earlier say don't worry, dancing is not really necessary. Many US hosts are used to huge, uncrowded US studios and simply can't cope with Cunard dance floors. I've never heard of them placing US couples. I don't know what standards the UK agency has but they must be higher.

All of which doesn't predict QV later this year, the OP's question.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, mia mom said:

Are dance hosts back on the ships this summer?  just wondering  if I should pack dance shoes.  thank you 

Just off Queen Elizabeth and there were dance hosts mostly male and one female. That was Yokohama to Vancouver don't know if that will apply during summer but don't see why not.

• 2 months later...

I would quite like to do this when I retire but I'm a woman so not sure there is much call for me!   

But there is a definite gap in the market for someone to be good company for older solo ladies, you know things like make sure they aren't sat on their own in the bar, someone to play cards with or attend the quiz, a lady who could help that lady zip up evening dresses.  Somebody to see her safe to her room at the end of the evening.  What a job that would be!!