QM2 Kennel Trip for a Senior Dog

HighSeas75

Hello. A question for those who have traveled on the Transatlantic with senior dogs. My spaniel is almost 12 and I'm wondering if it is safe and healthy for him to be in a kennel for 7 nights, even in summer. I have been staying in the UK for a few years and the flat I'm in is quite damp, though I use a dehumidifier - but it has caused recurring ear infections. Recently he had a lengthy seizure. With medication he is much better, but I won't live without aircon in a damp location anymore. Trying to decide if the kennel trip would be safe of if I should fly with him (in cabin). I have traveled on QM2 with dogs before, but they were younger. 

Thank you Wagtail adventures. I have seen senior dogs onboard before, and I traveled with one dog when he was 10 or 11. Up until a month ago my current dog was running around like a puppy with boundless energy. I guess whether ship travel is a good idea could depend on how healthy they are.

I think you will find that the kennel spaces get booked many months out, so it may not be possible to make a last minute booking.

Have you actually checked with Cunard for availability?

Interesting question that I am grappling with.  I have a 12 year old dog who has done 10 crossing and always loved it.  We have a trip planned in the fall.  The difficulty is that my dog has developed congestive heart failure but the vet (a canine cardiologist) says she is healthy enough to go.  Complicating this, my dog has developed a tendency to faint (for lack of better word) if she gets overly excited or stressed or just out of the blue.  Vet can’t pinpoint a reason.

I will probably end up cancelling cause I don’t want to risk her health.  Bad run of luck for me and the QM2: COVID, then had to cancel the past two years due to health problems in the human family and now the dog.   

My dogs always loved the kennels but I have seen dogs who have had a hard time.  

The kennel masters always take good care with the dogs and cats!

• Like 1

Hello tag1000. I travelled constantly overseas with my previous dog and he developed a serious immune illness. I now think it may have been because of too frequent Rabies vaccines. So I will now reconsider traveling with a dog unless it it for a move. Too bad because I loved taking them with me to Europe/UK and back. And yes both my dogs have enjoyed the kennels. They get a lot of attention from people and playing with other dogs. The kennel masters are always great and the dogs love them.

I hope you dog recovers. I am trying to get my pup in top health with better food and a less humid environment (the high UK humidity with no aircon gives him ear and skin problems). Pet food now has become questionable, so I try to feed mostly natural plus vitamins. Good luck with your travels.

Edited by HighSeas75
  • Like 1

Hello Host Hattie. Every time I have traveled or am about to I see the vet first. I need a health certificate, so he has to be well before he can travel. But yes, I'll remind myself to ask the vet for advice about taking him via ship. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, there is a fair bit of stress for the dogs, although it does vary considerably by breed and individual.  I doubt it’s as stressful as flying in cargo but it is obviously more prolonged.

For a senior dog one particular issue is that they are locked away when the kennel closes at 8.30pm and not let out until 8 am the following morning, which is nearly twelve hours, or nearly thirteen on the westbound with the clock change.  Accidents are common the first night, but most dogs adjust thereafter; this might be difficult for a very senior or otherwise less than healthy dog.  Also note that there is no vet on board and therefore you are on your own if there are any medical issues.

Although the kennels book out very early, a fair few of the owners I have met on my four doggie TAs have actually booked relatively late, as cancellations are very common.  If you can travel at short notice - unusual with a pet - there is very often a space, and I have only once known the ship to sail with every cage full. 

Hello IB2. Yes you're right, they are locked in that kennel at night for a long time. I don't think I will be taking my dog over by ship, though he is looking more like his youthful bouncy self again. Even in summer there can be wet weather and he would not be kept dry enough. A younger dog who has not just been ill can handle it.