Time on Alaska cruises

roadster08

Does ship time stay in sync with time zones during all Alaska cruises? 

Wondering if time on mobile phone will be reliable way to keep time on ship and in port or is it better to use a watch for ship time. 

Your phone should sync with local time.  Alaska is included in data/text/time/calls since it is part of the 50 states (although not contiguous).

Go to settings.  Turn on set automatically in your date/time.  The only problem you may encounter is Vancouver/Victoria.  You might need to set it manually if you leave cell range in Alaska.  

We bring along a wall clock that has a magnet on it and sticks on the wall.   It is always set to the time on the desk phone or " ships time".  Rememer ships time is the standard.  Local time mean nothing.  People have been left behind because they are not on "ships" time.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Your phone should sync with local time.  Alaska is included in data/text/time/calls since it is part of the 50 states (although not contiguous).

Go to settings.  Turn on set automatically in your date/time.  The only problem you may encounter is Vancouver/Victoria.  You might need to set it manually if you leave cell range in Alaska.  

Alaska is included, but the ship is not. This information is dangerous because using a phone and/or data on the ship will result in a huge bill! 

You can use your phone in port, but even with a roaming plan, the ship is not covered.

To keep up with time changes, watch for information in your cabin and do not rely on electronics. 

10 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Alaska is included, but the ship is not. This information is dangerous because using a phone and/or data on the ship will result in a huge bill! 

You can use your phone in port, but even with a roaming plan, the ship is not covered.

To keep up with time changes, watch for information in your cabin and do not rely on electronics. 

I was referring to cell service WHILE on Alaska grounds.  I remember my first cruise to Alaska (a very long time ago).  I had to find a Verizon dealer and ask if there were roaming charges.  He explained that I would see a different network, but was covered.  Back then, I didn't have unlimited Text and Talk and was very careful when using my phone.  

I am always on airplane mode when on the ship.  I make sure that I am on cell service when on land.  

When I cruise to and from Hawaii, I always manually set my calendar and time to current ocean time before going to sleep.  In the summer...that means changing my time zone 6 times (coming and going).  Fortunately, the ship ALSO changes the time on the same night.  I don't trust my phone to do it overnight (me not the phone).