River Cruise Roll Calls

It seems river cruise roll calls are catgorized as All Other Roll Calls. I created one with the title Ama Flavors of Portugal and Spain May 2023. What is the easiest way for someone to find this roll call? Searching by the month of May doesn't seem to work?

11 hours ago, bfamily9 said:

So once the roll call has been created, how does someone search for it? As I said, searching by the month of May doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, when creating the roll call, there is no way to tag it with a specific month other than by putting the month in the title.

6 hours ago, bfamily9 said:

So once the roll call has been created, how does someone search for it? As I said, searching by the month of May doesn't work.

I see the thread you created there when I search for "May" with the drop down.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 161753.png

Edited by auntmeg

20 hours ago, bfamily9 said:

It seems river cruise roll calls are catgorized as All Other Roll Calls. I created one with the title Ama Flavors of Portugal and Spain May 2023. What is the easiest way for someone to find this roll call? Searching by the month of May doesn't seem to work?

11 hours ago, bfamily9 said:

Hello @bfamily9

Your thread has been moved to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum where it will be on topic.

@auntmeg is referring to their search using the Roll Call Finder Tool located at the top of the first page of most ROLL CALLS forums. Here is a clip of the one on the top of the All Other River Cruise Roll Calls forum:

image.thumb.png.fdfef5dab1d7609ccd0422c02f61de8c.png

The key for the search to work correctly is that the thread title must contain the month. And the year is most helpful for when a member is looking for their specific cruise. This is explained in 

How To: Create A New Roll Call. Please note the following portion:

•  In the Title Box, type the name of your ship, your sail date and year. 
    • When you create a new ROLL CALL topic, you MUST include the sail date in the subject line, and here's the suggested format:    Example: January 1, 2016
    • Please note the suggested date format with the month first and spelled out completely will ensure your new Roll Call topic appear in search results

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

21 hours ago, bfamily9 said:

To be honest, roll calls don't really work for river cruises. First, when excursions are included there isn't really a need for a roll call to find people to share excursions with. (It is also difficult to coordinate your own excursions because timings of river cruise boats are quite fluid.) Second, when there are fewer than 200 passengers on a boat (and frequently considerably fewer) the chances of finding someone on your particular sailing are slim.

In general, most entries in the river cruising roll calls are for specific routes rather than a particular sailing. Sometimes they are split by company, sometimes the route and its ports are common to a number of companies. They discuss the excursion choices, and any optional excursions, and people weigh in with suggestions.

That said, much of the discussion goes on in the regular river cruising forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/