internet service aboard Nautica

Winrich

Oceania is a wonderful cruise line. I am on my third cruise with them. I have absolutely no complaint with their food or service. However I am severely disappointed with their WiFi access. They promise free WiFi access on board. And Wifi access is indded free throughout the ship but it is only per cabin. Thus if one travels with one's spouse or partner( as most passengers do) only one person can be on WiFi at a time. Given that one has to pay for two people, then restricting wifi access to one person at a time is unexpected and totally unacceptable. If one pays for a cruise with free WiFi access one naturally expects the free wWiFi is available for every passnger one pays for. Don't be mislead by the free WiFi advertising of Oceania. Be aware of their cheapskating. If you want to have simultaneous access for the second person , you have to pay and pay dearly.

• Like 2

While most on these boards would agree that we would like to see Oceania advertising become more transparent (and new information suggests that management is working on this,) a few quick points.

1.  While the upper suites are a small percentage of cabins, they do allow more than one free user;

2.  We felt it was quite clear On the Oceania website that free WiFi access is limited to one per stateroomat a time which as far as we could see is still pretty much on par for premium lines which are not specifically geared to a younger, tech or connected generation;

3.  While Star link is now on the new Vista and being rolled out on the other ships, it has been quite clear, as evidenced by many threads on these forums that if Internet Access was important to you, you have probably not been a Oceania fan thus far.  Usually of course the concern was usage and streaming more than number of longing but I am sure that as well.

We believe this is improving but from what I have read even Vista will limit logins to one per cabin for free in most staterooms.

19 hours ago, Winrich said:

Oceania is a wonderful cruise line. I am on my third cruise with them. I have absolutely no complaint with their food or service. However I am severely disappointed with their WiFi access. They promise free WiFi access on board. And Wifi access is indded free throughout the ship but it is only per cabin. Thus if one travels with one's spouse or partner( as most passengers do) only one person can be on WiFi at a time. Given that one has to pay for two people, then restricting wifi access to one person at a time is unexpected and totally unacceptable. If one pays for a cruise with free WiFi access one naturally expects the free wWiFi is available for every passnger one pays for. Don't be mislead by the free WiFi advertising of Oceania. Be aware of their cheapskating. If you want to have simultaneous access for the second person , you have to pay and pay dearly.

If it is unacceptable to you, consider another cruise line.  Problem solved.

• 11 months later...
On 5/17/2023 at 12:10 AM, Winrich said:

I completely agree. It should be per paying passenger.
I suppose you can hotspot the other person but that does slow it down a bit.
I notice this thread is almost a year old and wonder if that has changed.

• Like 1

Just now, tigerfan75 said:

Yes, it has changed.  Two accounts per stateroom.

Oh well that makes much more sense.

I guess they must've gotten enough complaints and listened.

7 minutes ago, tigerfan75 said:

Yes, it has changed.  Two accounts per stateroom.

I probably miss-stated this.  It is two devices per stateroom.

2 minutes ago, tigerfan75 said:

That's how I interpreted it. We only take our phones now anyway.

5 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

It is actually 2 accounts (each with own log in) with 1 device online at a time for each account....

• Thanks 1