Advantages/Disadvantages to paying your cruise off early

Linda W.

Just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages like other cruise lines to paying off in total your cruise early.  I know with other cruise lines you can sometimes get a reduced "fare" or OBC if the price goes down as long as you haven't paid off your cruise.  Unclear if there are any BENEFITS with MSC to paying it off as soon as possible.  (months prior to pay in full due date).   Will offers for upgrades happen after your have paid off your cruise if it is paid in full even if it is months (6-7) out?  Already in YC so just curious.  Trying to learn as much as I can as I go along. Thanks!😀

A disadvantage of paying in full before the final payment date is that MSC rarely will give you a  price drop without canceling and re-booking, so you will be waiting for a large refund rather than just the deposit.   MSC refund times are notoriously erratic. 

An advantage of paying in full is per the Terms & Conditions it locks out otherwise variable costs such as changing port fees, taxes and possible fuel surcharges. 

ETA: I've only received upgrade bid offers after final payment. 

Edited by Até

16 minutes ago, Até said:

A disadvantage of paying in full before the final payment date is that MSC rarely will give you a  price drop without canceling and re-booking, so you will be waiting for a large refund rather than just the deposit.   MSC refund times are notoriously erratic. 

An advantage of paying in full is per the Terms & Conditions it locks out otherwise variable costs such as changing port fees, taxes and possible fuel surcharges. 

ETA: I've only received upgrade bid offers after final payment. 

After final payment and your upgrade offers were they closer to the sailing date?

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I see zero benefit to paying in full early..YMMV. 

The only benefit I see is if you need to spend a certain amount by a certain time to get bonus points/miles on a credit card. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linda W. said:

After final payment and your upgrade offers were they closer to the sailing date?

On sailings I had booked long before final payment my offers were sent about a month before sailing.  Evidently MSC may now choose to send offers earlier, but currently I'm not booking before final payment.

• Like 1