Embarkation schedule

Milaandra

Just so everyone is aware, Ambassador allocates rigid embarkation times 21 days out from the cruise, and those times are based on cabin category and deck, according to their customer service.  You can't get that time changed even if the ship isn't full. (I've tried twice)  Just know that if you stay at a hotel you may have to arrange late check-out, and if taking flights/public transportation you may have to either rearrange your tickets or wait to book after you know your allocated embarkation time.

I know this won't bother many or most people, but I hate it! 😒 (grumble, grumble)

Oh, well. Off to try and rearrange our transport...  

• Thanks 1

If you get the shuttle coach from Victoria coach station, you go straight into embarkation when you arrive at Tilbury. We usually get given an embarkation time of 12.30 - the coach leaves Victoria at 12.30!

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:18 PM, Milaandra said:

Just so everyone is aware, Ambassador allocates rigid embarkation times 21 days out from the cruise, and those times are based on cabin category and deck, according to their customer service.  You can't get that time changed even if the ship isn't full. (I've tried twice)  Just know that if you stay at a hotel you may have to arrange late check-out, and if taking flights/public transportation you may have to either rearrange your tickets or wait to book after you know your allocated embarkation time.

I know this won't bother many or most people, but I hate it! 😒 (grumble, grumble)

Oh, well. Off to try and rearrange our transport...  

And of course, the situation is exacerbated due to the location of the terminal at Tilbury. There are so few places to 'waste time' if you arrive early. Tilbury Town is a dump with very limited parking. The local pub just along the road from the terminal has just closed down.

I spent a 'delightful' 45 minutes in Macdonald's with coffee and a pastry to make sure I arrived on time. At least there I could keep any eye on my luggage-laden car...

For our 2 Ambassador cruises we were about an hour early and killed a bit of time in the Asda store near the terminal, picking up a few last-minute bits that we needed. On both occasions we got to the terminal about 15-20 mins before our allocated time and joined the queue - no-one asked what embarkation time we were allocated and we were through check in and onto the ship in about 10 minutes. 
I appreciate if you were hoping for a early time and end up with mid-afternoon that’s probably not going to make much difference, but if you’re there within reasonable time I’d say it’s worth giving it a go. 

20 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

I appreciate if you were hoping for a early time and end up with mid-afternoon that’s probably not going to make much difference, but if you’re there within reasonable time I’d say it’s worth giving it a go. 

I was able to reschedule our transport, and since it was cheap to begin with, the extra it cost is still pretty low.  We're just the type of people who like a large window and having a booked time just one hour before embarkation closes just keeps me worrying that something will screw up.  (Yes, we also come back on board early on shore days, too!)  We like to get on the ship, have lunch, settle in, explore the ship, unpack...and then we can truly relax.  I'm mostly unhappy that it didn't matter what I wanted.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:30 PM, Milaandra said:

I was able to reschedule our transport, and since it was cheap to begin with, the extra it cost is still pretty low.  We're just the type of people who like a large window and having a booked time just one hour before embarkation closes just keeps me worrying that something will screw up.  (Yes, we also come back on board early on shore days, too!)  We like to get on the ship, have lunch, settle in, explore the ship, unpack...and then we can truly relax.  I'm mostly unhappy that it didn't matter what I wanted.

Most of the UK-based cruise lines operate strict embarkation times these days. American lines seem more flexible.

• 3 months later...

I think I have worked out my embarkation at Bristol at 12.30, from home with Military precision.

Leave home in Wales at 10am, along the M4, bearing in mind 50MPH now along stretches of the M4, ongoing roadworks and anything else that can hold me up.

I should arrive at the Cruise terminal at 11.20, approx 1 hour early.

If they are as strict as some folks say they are, I'll kill time at Gordano's service station, about 10 minutes away.