Seattle Car Rental Near Terminal

We have an extra night in Seattle after our cruise.  I am considering renting a car and explore the area other than downtown (we stay there two nights pre-cruise).  May possible drive to Olympia to see relatives.  Will stay at a hotel by the airport for that night.  Has anyone ever rented a car close to the cruise terminal and returned to the airport?

In years past a couple of car rental companies had kiosks at the cruise terminals (which one are you using?) that would shuttle customers to their downtown locations.  Evidently these didn't survive Covid, so you'd have to take a cab or Uber to one of the downtown offices and get the car there.  Not a big deal - there are numerous offices for the various companies in the downtown area.

That said, some (all?) of the companies have taken to adding a one-way drop fee for cars collected downtown and dropped at the airport.  It will likely be cheaper to go to the airport from the cruise terminal and get the car there, but you can do some dummy bookings to find out.

1 hour ago, notatubaplayer said:

Has anyone ever rented a car close to the cruise terminal and returned to the airport?

Agree with what Gardyloo said-- the one way drop costs are significant and now they usually just bake them into the rental cost so as to avoid having to call them a fee. This can cause your rental to be 2-3 times what it would be as a round trip from either downtown or the airport. I just looked on my Avis app and it was $300 for a one way from downtown to the airport vs $100 for the same card if you rented and dropped off at the airport. 

I agree with just taking an Uber to SeaTac and renting it there round trip. Your drop off at SEA will be a lot easier than if you rented round trip from downtown.