Travel Documentation

Apologies is this has been asked before, I searched but could not find anything too recent.  I have done a wonderful thing and lost my passport.

I am a British Citizen - U.S. Permanent Resident Alien for many years. I can not locate my British Passport prior to my cruise.

The cruise line is Carnival - I called and spoke with a rep and asked if I am able to cruise from Florida --> Mexico --> Florida, per their standards, with just my resident alien card (I-551), and no passport. The rep sounded very unsure and said I need a passport, I inquired if she means to get off in Mexico, or to initially board the ship. She went back and forth with someone on a chat and stated I can get on the cruise with just the I-551 resident alien card, with the obvious disclaimer of recommending a passport and to check with the British consulate.

I am aware I would not be able to disembark in Mexico without the passport, but if I were to stay on the ship the entirety of the cruise would this suffice for entry onto the cruise ship and back into Florida? If I recall correctly, I have only had to show my resident alien card for boarding the cruise and returning back to the USA, passport only for entering the port of call. Does anyone know for certain or point me in the right direction? I have checked multiple sites and it seems possible but always reverts back to.. check with the embassy and/or check with the cruise line. I feel very uneasy with the response from the Carnival representative. Thank you for any help.

41 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but I don't think that link provides clear information.

At the end of the first section it says: "On occasion, U.S. Permanent Residents may be asked to surrender their Permanent Resident Card and/or passport at time of check-in. This document will be returned upon completion of the immigration inspection at the time of debarkation."

So they may take your Permanent Resident Card and Passport and keep it until completion of immigration inspection at the end of the cruise.

Then they say, "Guests are required to carry a valid Permanent Resident Card (also known as ARC or Green Card), that includes a photo I.D." Then later they say,

"Cruises that Visit Martinique and Bermuda

Visiting Martinique: To go ashore, guests must carry a valid Permanent Resident Card and a valid, unexpired passport from their country of citizenship.

Bermuda Cruises: For the entire cruise, guests must carry a valid Permanent Resident Card and a valid, unexpired passport from their country of citizenship."

It is kind of hard to carry the Permanent Resident Card and Passport when they have taken those things away from you for the duration of the cruise.

Hopefully someone who has actually been in the OP's situation will provide some guidance.

If your green card is acceptable for boarding then it is acceptable for going ashore as well. As I understand it the green card is accepted for re-entry to the US, so as far as the US government is concerned it is acceptable for a closed loop cruise. The kicker, and the question that we probably can't answer, is does Mexico require passports of British citizens on a cruise ship. If that answer is no then you are likely good to go. If that answer is yes then you likely wouldn't be allowed to board. I'm hoping that your passport turn up, it didn't just get up and walk away (as my mother used to say).

• Like 1

Generally speaking, cruises won't allow you to board if you aren't allowed to get off in the ports. There's no "free zone" on the ship. The ship still enters Mexican waters and goes through Mexican immigration. I don't know if you can cruise with your green card only. But you can either cruise with it and get off in Mexico; or you can't get off in Mexico so you can't cruise. 

• Like 1

I'd imagine you can't get off the ship in Mexico.

I'm not sure how old you are, but does it not stress you out to not have a passport to hand in case you need to go back to the UK urgently? I'm a dual citizen with two dual citizen children, so my life is what feels like a constant renewal of passports, but if one of them expires I feel really unsettled until the new one is back in my hand again.

• Like 1