Bronx Cruise: June 20, 2023

GTJ

For those persons who will be in New York City on June 20, 2023, Open House New York (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization) will be sponsoring an evening cruise from Manhattan to the Bronx and return. According to its description, the cruise will be “highlighting capital projects, housing, and industrial development that are shaping neighborhoods and shorelines along the East River. Passing by Randalls, Rikers, and Wards Islands on the way to the mouth of the Bronx River, this tour will offer participants the chance to see waterways rarely traversed by tour boats.” It certainly cannot be overemphasized the rarity of this type of cruise (though with NYC Ferry now serving both Soundview and Throgs Neck, one can now see a bit of the Bronx from these ferry vessels as well). I think that anyone who has a true interest in seeing and understanding New York City, beyond the usual tourist circuit, would get much out of this evening cruise, either a prelude or encore to a longer cruise from New York City. I had previously taken a similar cruise, also sponsored by Open House New York, from Manhattan to the New Jersey industrial shoreline and return, and seemingly everyone—myself included—came away so satisfied with the excursion. The cruise will be operated by New York Cruise Lines through its brand Circle Line Cruises. http://www.ohny.org/activity/building-capital-to-the-bronx-and-back

That Open House New York cruise is likely to have a more interesting/interested crowd on board than the typical three hour Circle Line round Manhattan cruise - but I doubt it will show more waterways - just provide detailed info on the shorter route covered.