Input on Highlights and Lowlights of 3 itineraries we are considering..

DW has been pouring over tons of itineraries for Norway next year. Some Princess ones she just found recently have her curious.

I've seen alot of very informed opinions in this Community about the various ports.

Just looking for people's experiences with the ports on any of the the cruises.

Trying to eliminate any consideration for cruises with fairly boring, uninteresting ports or poorly scheduled port times.

We won't be trying to climb any mountains or anything like zip lining. More looking for a bus ride or train ride up a mountain or to a fjord.

We definitely want at least one really nice cruise up a deep fjord.

Also if there are any problems like a certain town we are in on a Sunday will be closed or any of the days while there are a national holiday that might have

things closed or if the times scheduled in port are too short or problematic.

Also any of the must see things in any of these ports would be appreciated.

Sky Princess

Friday 6/13 South Hampton

6/14 at sea

Sunday 6/15 Edinburgh

6/16 at sea

Tuesday 6/17 Skolden/Sogneford  7AM-3:30PM

Wednesday 6/18 Olden   8-4

Thursday 6/19 Trondheim  9-5

6/20 at sea

Saturday 6/21 Honnigsvag  11-8

SUNDAY 6/22 Tromso 9-6

6/23 at sea

6/24 at sea

Wednesday 6/25 Alesund  8-5

Thursday 6/26 Hauegesund 8-5

6/27  at sea

Saturday 6/28 Southhampton

Sky Princess 

Saturday 5/24 Southhampton

5/25 at sea

Monday  5/26 Haugusund  9-5

Tuesday 5/27 Skolden/Sogneford  8-4

Wednesday 5/28 Olden  9-5

Thursday 5/29 Stavanger  10-6

5/30 at sea

Saturday 5/31 Southhampton

Emerald Princess

Tuesday 6/17 Southhampton 

6/18 at sea

Thursday 6/19 Bergen 12-7

Friday 6/20  Olden  8-6

6/21  at sea

Sunday 6/22 Svolvaer  7-6

6/23 at sea 

Tuesday 6/24 Honningsvag 8-6

Wednesday 6/25 Alta

Thursday 6/26 Tromso  8-6

6/27 at sea

Saturday 6/28 Trondheim  8-6

SUNDAY 6/29 Andalsnes 7-5

6/30 at sea

7/1  Edinburgh

7/2 at sea

7/3 Southhampton

Thanks in advance for any help.

None of your selected cruises visit Flam, which I consider the best way to “see” the fjords. The cruise in and out (to/from)  Flam is spectacular,  if you have the opportunity to take the Flambana (Flam train up the mountain to Myrdal and return),  that is the icing on the cake. My opinion, only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sky - Option 1 and 2 both have two deep fjords - option 1 is also an Arctic Cruise that includes North Cape (Honningsvåg).

- option 1 is midsummer and a midnight sun cruise.

Emerald option 3 is also Midsummer and Arctic Cruise that includes Lofoten (Svolvær) and the North Cape (Honningsvåg) - but only one deep fjord to Olden. Furthermore, Bergen is included.

Olden and Skjolden are both beautiful fjords - Olden has the Loen Skylift and Briksdal Glacier.  For the fjord sailings you must be at upper deck at sunrise (04:30 am) to enjoy the scenic views.
All three are good itineraries but Sky option 1 has both two fjords and the Arctic crossing.

Trondheim, Stavanger. Ålesund and Tromsø are all nice coastal cities.

Other ports I have not mentioned are not so interesting (or not in Norway)

I would choose option 1 - Two deep fjords as well as the Arctic Circle crossing and the North Cape. Option 2 seconds.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

None of your selected cruises visit Flam, which I consider the best way to “see” the fjords. The cruise in and out (to/from)  Flam is spectacular,

The iconic deep fjords are into the ports of Geiranger (Hellesylt), Flåm, Olden and Skjolden. In fact, Skjolden and Flåm are in the same fjord system (Sognefjord) - the fjord to Olden is not that long.
The World Heritage Fjords are the fjords into Geiranger and Flåm - already today there are restrictions on emissions from ships in these fjords - from 2026, 'zero emission zones' will be introduced at Geiranger and Flåm - then very few ships will be able to visit these ports - work is being done to permit ships that sail on Bio-LNG. I assume that some of the cruise lines with LNG ships might be able to visit Geiranger and Flåm at least until 2030.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

None of your selected cruises visit Flam, which I consider the best way to “see” the fjords. The cruise in and out (to/from)  Flam is spectacular,  if you have the opportunity to take the Flambana (Flam train up the mountain to Myrdal and return),  that is the icing on the cake. My opinion, only.

I agree with you with how beautiful Flam is and loved the train.  When I planned my Norway cruise 6 years ago based upon the recommendations of this board I chose the one cruise that year that was on Cunard (I had a 2 year old who would only have daycare on Cunard) that went to both Geiranger and Flam.  We were incredibly lucky and Olden was also on that cruise.  I hadn't known much about Olden prior to booking the cruise, but found out on these boards that the Loen Sklift was scheduled to open 3 days after we arrived.  So Olden turned into an equally spectacular port.  Prior to Norway's restrictions I would also have told people to try to get to Geiranger, Flam and Olden (and also people seem to love Alesund, which I didn't have a chance to see but people on the forums seem very happy with) if they are doing a 7 day cruise to the fjords instead of the arctic.  But now with the restrictions it is going to be tough to find cruises that sail to those ports.  I feel particularly badly for the operators of the Geiranger Skywalk, which must be pretty significantly affected by the decrease in cruise tourism to Geiranger.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

The iconic deep fjords are into the ports of Geiranger (Hellesylt), Flåm, Olden and Skjolden. In fact, Skjolden and Flåm are in the same fjord system (Sognefjord) - the fjord to Olden is not that long.
The World Heritage Fjords are the fjords into Geiranger and Flåm - already today there are restrictions on emissions from ships in these fjords - from 2026, 'zero emission zones' will be introduced at Geiranger and Flåm - then very few ships will be able to visit these ports - work is being done to permit ships that sail on Bio-LNG. I assume that some of the cruise lines with LNG ships might be able to visit Geiranger and Flåm at least until 2030.

Hurtigruten and Viking are the only two ship companies that I know of that will meet the new standards. 

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Hurtigruten and Viking are the only two ship companies that I know of that will meet the new standards. 

Yes, when it comes to hybrid/hydrogen powered ships.
However, the list of cruise lines will be much longer if propulsion using Bio-LNG fuel becomes possible until 2030.

So no issues with Tromso being closed on a Sunday or any Norweigien holidays in the second half of June? (some countries are strict with Sundays off)

Also, is late June good for the scenery in the Fjords? (waterfalls flowing from snowmelt, or is late June too late?)

Edited by bguppies

4 hours ago, bguppies said:

Thank you...

DW woulg love snow anytime as we only see flurries once a decade and measuarable snow every 30-40 years.

Last year at the North Cape I wore a t-shirt, it was so warm. However I have also been there in June in a heavy jacket and gloves! You can never predict the weather.