Similarities/differences Marella P&O

Son is taking girlfriend on a cruise for their 1st holiday together. Son has cruised several times with the family, mainly on P&O, girlfriend has not cruised. Girlfriend is one of those who has to be informed of every last detail before she goes anywhere and is expecting son to provide said info as he's cruised before, regardless of the fact he's never been on Marella. So son has tasked me with finding out the info for him! 😄 So please be kind to a Marella virgin...

The cruise is on Discovery 2, flying to Palma, departing in 2 weeks' time.

1. The checking in/boarding pass/luggage tag process seems to be pretty similar to P&O, but I'm not clear about luggage, as I've seen conflicting info on here. If flying out to Palma, do you check in luggage in UK and not see it again until it arrives at your cabin, or do you have to collect it at Palma, take it on the coach transfer, and it's then transferred from the coach to your cabin?

2. Are Marella still doing Dress to Impress nights? I've read it's usually on the first sea day. Girlfriend loves to dress up and I believe was thinking of going full evening gown, but I said I thought that might be a bit OTT. Advice please?

3. Cabin plug sockets - UK, US or European? And are the hairdryers any good, or is it better to take your own?

3. Dining arrangements - are you allocated an MDR, although not a time/table, or do you just turn up to whichever one you fancy? Is there are charge for room service?

4. Excursions: if you've pre-booked excursions, are you issued with tickets and will they be waiting for you in your cabin? When you set off on the excursion, do you just hand over the ticket to board the coach or whatever? If an excursion sells out quickly and there is a lot of demand, are Marella likely to put on extra coaches/sell extra tickets? 

5. The son & girlfriend are thinking of having a beach day in Ajaccio. Is there a nice beach near the cruise port or would they have to go further afield?

6. Any recommendations of reliable companies you've used that offer transfers to and guided tours of Pompeii and/or Herculaneum? Son desperately wanted to do this (one of main reasons for booking this cruise) but the excursions appear to be sold out. When do excursions go on sale, as I wondered if it was showing "sold out" from the previous cruise?

7. They are thinking of doing the excursions to Rome where you have a guide with you for the first part, then have time on your own. Is Rome fairly compact, easy to navigate and see additional sites, or are attractions widely spaced? How is Rome for pickpockets (son is well trained, but girlfriend less careful)? And what if they want to grab drinks/ices/snacks - are prices extortionate? I presume it's best to find somewhere in a quiet side street rather than a café on a main square? How easy is it to get to the Trevi Fountain - is it near other sites of interest? 

Thank you very much in advance for your patience dealing with all these questions.

Some Answers
1.  I believe for Palma you will have to collect your luggage at the airport and take to the coach. It only goes directly to the ship in a limited number of ports, for example the caribbean.
2. Dress to Impress does take place, but not well observed and nothing enforced like on P&O. Evening gown would probably be OTT.

3.  Plug sockets will be European and US - Probably only one of each. There may be USB sockets by the beds on some of the ships.

3 again (you had two of them). You can go to any of the main dining rooms or other venues. No fixed times. If they are busy you may be given a pager so they can notify when a table is free.

• Like 2

And re 4 - For pre booked excursions tickets will be delivered to your cabin (but may not be there on first arrival). You can cancel an excursion up to 24 hours before it departs.

And one of the main difference between Marella and P&O is that a lot of drinks are included in the standard price.  There is a drinks upgrade available which gives you a bit more choice but I have never found it worthwhile. You can always pay the extra on individual drinks if you want. On any of the drinks menus, drinks with no prices are included. Where there is a price you can pay that (or it is included if you have bought the upgrade).

Feel you should advise them to only go with ships excursions until they have been on a couple of cruises, because the ship will sail without them if late back, we have seen this a few times. Also recommend that they take the phone number of the guide just in case they get lost or separated from the group. 👍 

• Like 1

Thanks Pensioncruiser. That's what son (who is organising everything) is intending to do, but he was so disappointed to find that the Pompeii/Herculaneum excursions seem to be sold out because he's wanted to visit there since he was a child.  He's done enough cruises to know the risks of DIY; our first couple of family cruises we stuck to ship's excursions bu then tended to go DIY as much cheaper and usually better. We DIY'd the Caribbean without mishap, but all the operators were very carefully researched beforehand.

• Like 1

6   You can get to Herculaneum on your own by train. 15mins walk to Train station in Naples from the port then train out to Ercolano and a short walk to the site. We've been to both sites and in my opinion Herculaneum is a better one to visit.

7.   If it's first time visit to Rome from the cruise I would do a ship excursion as it can be a bit daunting getting to Rome in your own. It can be done by train fairly easily but there are likely to be other ships in the port and train will be busy.

• Like 1

Totally agree with that SS have done both, but would still recommend that for first timers that they use the ships excursions, and if not they take passports with them, some friends of ours had a problem with the return train from Herculaneum with a two hour delay and mised the ship it was very expensive to catch up fortunately they had taken passports. 

Thanks Shipshape. I'd already told them that it wasn't advisable to try Rome on their own, and Pompeii/Herculaneum is really only if the ship's excursions sell out. We just got a quote from a very reputable company for a private tour of Pompeii/Veusvius/Herculaneum but it was way beyond their budget (and mine, come to that!). They just ned to get their finger out and book what they can.

Hi groovechick, when we arrived at Naples there were lots if taxis and tours outside the dock so they could easily pick up a tour. However,  we have visited Naples many times and love walking round the city itself.  It's very busy but there are some lovely buildings and tiny streets to explore.  Don't forget the pizza is great, we found a cafe in a small backstreet.  Delicious pizza and drink for 6 euros!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GC, Naples is the home of pizza. Lovely little places all around selling it.  Just pick a place full if Italians and you'll be ok.

Sorrento is beautiful.  Again just find a local restaurant with a view and enjoy!