Viking Rinda and Capitols of Eastern Europe

twototravel

We just booked this river cruise with Viking for 2025. Looking at reviews it appears the Rinda is one of their older ships. Anyone have recent experience with this ship or route? The cruise route looks great, hitting Romania and Bucharest which was of special interest to us.

We took it and the Rinda is typical long ship.  They are all identical and we think very nice.  The ports were very interesting and the tours were excellent.  We learned a lot of history.

• Like 1

@caradara Any of the optional excursions you would recommend? We have been to Budapest before, so we were thinking of doing the thermal spas. Is there time to do the included tour plus an optional, or do you have to choose one or the other? 

We didn't do any optional tours but just all of the included and then we like to wander so I'm not sure on the time frame.  In Budapest there is time to do the thermal baths and the concierge on board can help you arrange it as we met people who did it.  My husband caught a cold and slept that day away but I wandered all over by myself.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:02 PM, twototravel said:

We just booked this river cruise with Viking for 2025. Looking at reviews it appears the Rinda is one of their older ships. Anyone have recent experience with this ship or route?

I haven't been on Rinda - built in 2013 - but I'd have no worries about its age. It is identical to the rest of the Longships, and each winter the Longships go to a shipyard where they are inspected and any wear & tear is repaired or replaced.

I also don't have recent experience with this route, as it's new this year. I went on Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe, from Budapest to Bucharest and thoroughly enjoyed it. Many of the stops are different, but I can recommend the optional Hungarian Horsemen excursion. I am not a 'horsey' person but the show was astounding.

Kalocsa-Hungary-Bakodpuszta-Horst-Farm.png

He's driving a team of ten horses standing on the backs of two of them. Excursion available from Budapest on your cruise. Re Thermal Baths: there is a fairly recent thread on this forum about doing it on your own cheaper. The baths are near the mooring spot, within walking distance.

Note that Bucharest is some distance from the river and as the roads are in poor condition and the traffic in Bucharest more than the roads there can cope with, it took a very long time to make the journey from the boat into town.

Now there are different stops I may be joining you in 2025!

• Like 1