If there is a no show at the port?

binro01

When Celebrity runs a special with 75% off for a second person, it is cheaper for a solo to book for two with a planned no-show for a second person.

Taxes and fees for a no-show person are refunded and the gratuities are not charged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sdancer said:

When Celebrity runs a special with 75% off for a second person, it is cheaper for a solo to book for two with a planned no-show for a second person.

Taxes and fees for a no-show person are refunded and the gratuities are not charged.

Not always.  I think they still the 32.5% discount off one.  At least when I priced out a single cruise they still listed 

celebrity 1 pax.PNG

9 hours ago, tschwa2 said:

Not always.  I think they still the 32.5% discount off one.  At least when I priced out a single cruise they still listed 

celebrity 1 pax.PNG

It looks like $2,678.57 is the total for two people, including taxes & fees.

It claims 75% discount of $3,265 but $3,365 out of $6,084 is 53.41%, not 75%.

Strange... it does not add up.

What is the total for a solo?

Edited by Sdancer

14 hours ago, Sdancer said:

It looks like $2,678.57 is the total for two people, including taxes & fees.

It claims 75% discount of $3,265 but $3,365 out of $6,084 is 53.41%, not 75%.

Strange... it does not add up.

What is the total for a solo?

That is what it gives me as the cost when I price it out for 1.  My guess is if I priced it out for 2 it would be $159.57 more for the taxes and port fees.   So I guess it is discounting off of the 100% single supplement as the second guest.

We have 4 cabins on an upcoming cruise. All were booked double-occupancy -- one we knew would be single but as mentioned above, due to the promo, booking as single cost more than booking for two. Another cabin was a "maybe" on the second pax. 

Shortly after booking, my TA canceled the second pax in one cabin, and the taxes/port fees went back onto my credit card about a week later.

For the other cabin, small chance the second guest will come; once that's confirmed we'll do the same thing. 

I didn't know about the double points. The two singles are both first-time Celebrity cruisers so we'll have to get them a Captain's Club account, will be a nice bonus!

I did this myself maybe 20 years ago (Zenith or Horizon perhaps?!), just had the fake pax no-show at the port. The agent seemed "upset" that Jim (or whatever name I used) was sick and couldn't make it., like she felt bad for him. Lol. Pretty sure I didn't get either a refund of port fees or the double points! Maybe I should file a claim? 😄 

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:38 PM, Sdancer said:

do y'all complete the check-in for a no-show person? Whether they are planned or an unplanned no-show.

Posted (edited)
On 9/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, rj59 said:

I'm doing a planned no-show in November, since the fare for a solo was 3X the cost of 2 people together. I had fears of being caught, interrogated, and forced to pay the solo rate, but the people at the port are just scanning documents and don't care, and once I'm on the ship, what are they going to do, make me share a cabin with a deckhand? They should actually be happy, because my no-show sister is a chowhound cheapskate who would  eat steak at every meal, whereas I enjoy pasta and Indian food. They'll also get more business from me if I can book for two, since by searching for cruises based on two people, I'll see more affordable fares than with a solo search. They'll also have to pay fewer commissions, since their website is convenient for booking for 2, but now impossible to search for a solo. 

How did it work out.  Did you purchase a drink package? What is the work around as the cruise line makes you purchase the same package for everyone of age in the cabin.  Asking because I too plan on doing a planned no show as the current promo works out less when paying for 2, then a solo.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Edited by Cruiz4Life
added info