Disembarking Princess ship for 12:50pm flight from FCO

seapad

We're planning a Princess cruise in March round trip Civitavecchia. This is our first time on a Princess cruise in Europe, so I'm not familiar of their embarkation process. 

Husband and I plan on doing the walk off (do they have self walk-off?) as soon as possible. We're looking at a 12:50 pm return flight (AA Airline) out of FCO. If we  hire the RomeCab as soon as we walk off, do we have enough time to catch our plane? Will we get there at least 3.5 hours before departure?  I heard FCO departure for American airlines could be chaotic, plus heavy traffic, and also long lines? 

If we stay overnight and catch the next day's flight, we'll have to pay $500 more plus an extra night of hotel. Any advice? 

Thanks in advance! 

You don't say what time your ship arrives in Civitavecchia, but I think you should be fine. Most ships arrive very early in the a.m., but don't count on being able to get off the ship until around 6:30 or 7:00. There are no immigration or customs formalities.

Princess does have the "walk off" option. If you reserve with Rome Cabs or another service, your driver should be waiting for you just outside the terminal building.

The airlines generally recommend being at FCO 3 hours in advance of your flight, which would be 9:50 am. The drive from the port generally takes an hour or maybe even a few minutes less. So you should be fine if you are on your way around 8:45 am. If it makes you feel more comfortable you could even make it 30 minutes earlier. You should have no problem making it -- again, that's assuming your ship arrives early, as per usual.

• Like 1

Thank you so much @Cruisemom and @CruiseBruce. The ship is scheduled (per itinerary) to arrive at 6 am. 

I usually cruise in the USA and 12:50 pm flight with walk off usually is fine as long as ship arrives smoothly, right? 🙂 

Just wasn't sure how this works in Europe. Plus heard a lot of chaotic stories on line regarding how long one needs to stand in line for security etc. 

Glad to hear that the process is similar to the USA. 

Thanks! 

As others have posted, 12:50 is completely fine (some might say near perfect).  You can easily use the cruise ship transfer options or book a private transfer.  We prefer private transfers and use Stefano's Rome Cabs.  No reason to rush as leaving the port around 8:30 will give you more than enough time to dislike the wait at FCO  :).

Hank

• Like 1