Anyone done low-salt since the new menus?

So, I was thinking between restaurant food being generally saltier, certainly more than at my home, and the water having salt in it left from the desalination, I will probably want to tell them I'm on a low-salt diet.  

At home, I'm not officially on a low-salt diet, but I really just don't like the taste.  If I buy canned soup, I reach for the low-salt version.  On popcorn I put butter and cheese powder, no salt.  Even the butter is usually unsalted.  With recipes I've figured out which ones really need to salt, e.g. bread and which don't and drop the salt from the ones that don't.  When I used to travel a lot for work, and therefore lots of restaurant meals, within the US I'd start to notice all the salt in the food, and I'd feel off.  When I spent a lot of time in Germany, at some point I'd crave Pringles which I figured out was a salt craving.  So I wouldn't say I'm ultra-low salt, but lower than an American diet.  

I understand during pre-new menu, this wouldn't have been a problem.  The waiter brings the next day's menu out, and you order the day before.  But, with all these no-substitutions rules, I wonder.  Will they tell me to just eat a naked chicken breast every night?  

I have a less common food sensitivity and they were very good about it. Each night the head waiter would bring the menu for me to choose for the next night. They were always willing to make what I needed. It worked out better with some dishes than others. E.g. sometimes n es they would just leave the topping off and the dish would be kind of dull. Other times, they would improvise an alternative topping and it would be good. 

Some in our party were vegetarian and one of the children was disappointed to see a meat lasagna on the menu with no vegetarian version. The head waiter said he would check on what they could do. The next night, there was a very nice vegetarian lasagna for all in our party who wanted it.

For what it's worth, I found the food to be lightly salted.

• Like 1

I do a lower salt diet.  I ask them to leave off gravies, sauces etc  from item. Be prepared for some sorry looking meals especially fish. And you can often see that the meal is overcooked.   They use sauces and gravies to cover the food to make it more appetizing.   Occasionally I might get the sauce on the side, but rarely.  If I order eggs for breakfast, I don't get scrambled, but get a more custom poached, fried etc. so that I know it is not part of a pre made pre seasoned batch.    No problem with the new menus. 

If in a specialty restaurant where food is cooked to order,  I ask that no extra salt be used in the preparation of the steaks, veggies, etc.  Easy request.  

I don't ask for any other low/no salt foods or a specific low sodium, menu and don't know what is available.  Years ago, they did offer to make me a no salt onion soup but that was only for the broth.  The cheese was the same.  

M

That is a thought on the scrambled.  I know for scrambled eggs in hotel breakfasts, the eggs are usually just poured from a carton and cooked.  I would guess that the ship is the same. With poached you know that it has been in a shell until recently.  I adore eggs, but I often don't eat them away from home because we have free-range hens.  But then at some point away from home, I miss eggs enough that I order some and I like to get the best I can.   

Soup is something that does seem to need salt, or at least some salt.  

I wish Brita removed salt from the water.  At home we have an RO unit, and that does remove salt, but it is the high-pressure membrane that does that.  We have Brita water bottles that we like to use on vacation.