Hotel info needed

orla56

Hi we are  a couple in our sixties coming to Miami for 3 nts in April for a Transatlantic cruise to Barcelona from Scotland. 

My husband has Parkinsons so we don't want to have walk too far for anything although when he's feeling up to it he enjoys walking.

We are looking for a  hotel near amenities and places of interest that we can safely walk to.Not too far from the cruise port.

We have stayed in South Beach on Ocean drive about 15 years ago and although we enjoyed it think maybe it would be a little bit too busy and noisy for him now.

Maybe a quieter beach or near some nice restaurants and bars for the evening.

We'd like to try and spend no more than  900$ or £700 and to have a room with plenty of space for him to move around.

I would appreciate any advice you may be able to give us with this trip.

In terms of getting a room with enough space, I'd recommend trying to book an accessible room. Because they're built with wheelchairs in mind (theoretically, at least), they tend to have more open space than standard hotel rooms, and less need to sidle past tight spaces. (My father also has Parkinson's, so I understand, to some extent, the needs/limitations.) From what I've seen, most hotels in the US have at least some accessible rooms, so you should be able to find one, especially 10 months out. 

Thank you for your reply neeuqdrazil.

Yes an accessible room is good for the space but for some reason my husband doesn't like the bathrooms.He prefers an ordinary walk in shower.

I was thinking of a room with maybe a couch or a small kitchenette in case he didn't feel like going out but hopefully that won't happen.

I'm sure we will get sorted we've plenty of time to start looking but I know on Cruise Critic there's always people to help with suggestions if they can help.

Edited by orla56

Check out the EB Hotel Miami Airport- we are staying there pre and post cruise in January, along with others on our ship. It is 5 minutes from the airport and about 15-20 minutes to the cruise port.

the rates are very reasonable for a luxury hotel and the rooms are a nice size.

It is not as lively an area as South Beach, but it is a safe area.   https://www.ebhotels.com/miami

Thank you for your reply JHLH821.

That hotel looks good if we were only staying one night but as we are staying for 3 nights we wanted to be near attractions,shopping and some nice restaurants or a quieter beach area than Ocean Drive.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.Enjoy your cruise.

I assume thats the Oasis TA Orla? We're on that too, but we are doing the one week cruise before as well, so doing a B2B. However, we are staying in Miami for 4 days prior to getting on Oasis. We have plumped for the Holiday Inn at the Port of Miami (on Biscayne Blvd). Not the cheapest, but you can get breakfast included, the Bayfront Park is right across the road which also has a 'marketplace' and an observation wheel. There is a Metromover station about 100yds away, which gives free travel round the area, together with a network of 'trolleys' which I believe are free and a HOHO bus stop right outside the hotel. See what you think.

Simon

I looked at both these hotels and although the Holiday Inn was in a good location I saw quite a few bad reviews and I thought the Hampton looked the better choice.

Still trying to decided between the Hampton or the beach.

On 6/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, sddsddean said:

Is that from experience John, or reading the reviews?

Simon

From reviews.  When we cruise from Miami, or when I used to go there on business, we stay at the Doubletree on Biscayne Blvd - some rooms offer a port view, big rooms, nearby dining options, great pool area, close to the port, etc.  It is a quieter area of downtown.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - whatever bitter your local pours will be fine! 😎

56 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

From reviews.  When we cruise from Miami, or when I used to go there on business, we stay at the Doubletree on Biscayne Blvd - some rooms offer a port view, big rooms, nearby dining options, great pool area, close to the port, etc.  It is a quieter area of downtown.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - whatever bitter your local pours will be fine! 😎

Unfortunately I’ve booked a non refundable rate. Checked with them last night and if I cancel they will charge us the whole 4 days(!), so we’ll just have to make the best of it. We’re not there until April, so plenty of time for them to get the decorators etc in!🤞

Simon