Live from NCL Spirit 06/21/23-07/05/23 - Alaska B2B Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver

15 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I'm currently monitoring the location of the Spirit as she sails south toward Vancouver.  I want to see which side of Vancouver Island she sails on.  Too early to tell for sure, but she seems to be heading toward the west side rather than the more scenic and protected east side.

https://www.cruisingearth.com/port-tracker/canada/vancouver-british-columbia/

The spirit is sailing around the outside of Vancouver island both ways.  It might be due to time management as the passage inside is slower, and may be due to new environmental regulations from the Canadian government.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

Bags are checked and we are at the gate waiting to board. 

Thankfully, we can check up to 70 lbs with no additional fees.  Yikes! 

I tend to have bags under 50 lbs when on warm weather cruises.  

IMG_4785.jpeg

That’s a back breaker for sure for those poor folks who have to handle it. 

Edited by bluesea777

3 hours ago, KDebreuil said:

The spirit is sailing around the outside of Vancouver island both ways.  It might be due to time management as the passage inside is slower, and may be due to new environmental regulations from the Canadian government.

There must another excuse.  Other sourthbound ships from Ketchikan to Vancouver take the inside route.

Would Canadian environmental regulations stop them from using the inside passage but still sail to Vancouver?

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

We are in Vancouver! 

Our flight arrived almost 30 minutes early and there were very short lines to clear customs. Vancouver airport is nice and I consider it to be one of the easier airports to navigate. There can be a lot of walking in our home airport and here. We are at over 6,000 steps today just getting through both airports.  

it was a short walk to find a taxi for C$34 before tip which was about the same price quoted for Uber. It was no problem to pay by credit card. If you use Uber or Lyft, the pick-up area was close to the taxi line. 

When we got to the taxi, we warned the driver that my bag was heavy and my sweet husband always offers to put our bags in the taxi or Uber. The taxi driver said he prefers to put the bags in himself and has learned good lifting techniques to use his upper body and save his back.  Our driver was very friendly and pointed out some neat looking buildings and  suggested places to visit today. 

We were able to check in early to our hotel room when we arrived about 10:20am.  I’ll post photos tomorrow. 

Time to explore the city! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Bags are checked and we are at the gate waiting to board. 

Thankfully, we can check up to 70 lbs with no additional fees.  Yikes! 

I tend to have bags under 50 lbs when on warm weather cruises.  

IMG_4785.jpeg

I usually just leave my barbells at home and use the ones in the ship's exercise room.🤣

disclaimer: I've never set foot in a ship's exercise room😎

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We are in Vancouver! Time to explore the city! 

Looking forward to learning what you will be doing...

We honeymooned in Vancouver for a week (24 and 26 year olds who didn't know what they were doing); we've gone back several times due to cruises but spent a week there to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  We're doing B2B 7/24-8/7 with 2 days in Vancouver before we board... staying at the Gage Suites at UBC so who knows what will happen😁 and have rental car.

• Like 2

@boltnut55 Since you are staying at Gage  towers, you’ll be close to one of the best beaches and walks in town. You can park at Spanish Banks West and walk next to the beach all the way to Jericho and back. There are food stands, washrooms and picnic benches dotted along the walk. A great place to stop for food and drinks is the Jericho Sailing Club.  Sit outside upstairs on the patio. Walking around Jericho you will see many wild bunnies.

Take a look at Purebread Bakery for treats. There is one on West Broadway and one in Kitsilano. There is a Purdy’s chocolates on 4th Avenue and it is very close to Parallel 49/Lucky’s doughnuts.  Park in the Safeway parking lot then cross the street and head east. In Vancouver we mark direction by the mountains which are north.

Since you are so close, consider a visit to the museum of Anthropology.  

• Like 1

@Seas2mountains Looking forward to following along.  I'll be on the Spirit from Vancouver to Seward on the next sailing (July 5).  I am curious how the embarkation/boarding process goes tomorrow; please report back.  I'm planning on arriving around 1:30 so I hopefully won't have to wait in as long a line to board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

That’s a back breaker for sure for those poor folks who have to handle it. 

Yes, I agree and I do feel bad it is heavy. But I also think the people who handle heavy bags for a job/career know what they are getting into much like I did when I was in the Army and had to carry very heavy rucksacks and equipment. 

It’s likely I won’t use all clothing items I used but I’m not yet regretting it but was also surprised at how much it weighed compared to a cruise a few weeks ago from Miami. Maybe it was the hiking boots, jeans, sweaters, fleece jackets and full size toiletries. 

Thank you for your past and current suggestions about the Spirit. It is appreciated! 

22 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Wow-great location!  Google OEB in Yaletown if you feel like a wonderful brunch.

The forecast is for rain and drizzle tomorrow so some of your Alaskan clothes may come in helpful.  Keep your umbrella handy.

You are very close to a water taxi (False Creek Ferry or Aquabus are the two companies) and a full day pass will take you to some great places. You have probably seen me mention Granville Island and Lee’s Donuts.  Granville Island is a stop for the water taxi and is one of my favourite places in Vancouver.  There are artisans, a Kids Only Market (if you like liquorice there is a liquorice parlour just outside the Kids Only Market) and a wonderful public market with a food court.  Lee’s will have a line but it moves quickly.

Once at Granville Island you can walk or take the water taxi to the Maritime Museum.

If it is pouring rain I recommend the Vancouver Aquarium or shopping at Pacific Centre or taking the Skytrain to Metrotown. If you don’t like big shopping malls skip Metrotown! The Vancouver Art Gallery is a good option as well.

If the sun comes out and you enjoy flowers Van Dusen gardens is wonderful this week.  I took my dad there for Father’s Day yesterday. 

Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions! We did use the water taxi to go to Granville Island and were super impressed by the experience.  The donuts looked amazing! 

I really love Vancouver and am excited to return in the future. We did not make it to the restaurants you suggested but will put those on the list for future visits. 

• Like 2

Welcome to Vancouver!  I hope you found an awesome dinner downtown (I always recommend Carderos on the sea wall just about 10-15 minutes walk west Of the convention centre/cruise port but too late now, add it to your list! )

Where did you wind up finding dinner?

you sail tomorrow?  Interested to hear the experience through Vancouver port, wishing you a smooth day ahead!!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Wait, did you look at the doughnuts but not try one????

We saw the Lee’s doughnuts and were so tempted. This time of year is when we both go  for our annual physicals with our doctors. Our goal is to avoid being pre-diabetic or diabetic. 

I am happy to report my A1Cs are lower than last year despite all the recent cruises and the pre diabetic results  are  lower than last year.

They look and smell sooooooo good!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@boltnut55 Since you are staying at Gage  towers, you’ll be close to one of the best beaches and walks in town. You can park at Spanish Banks West and walk next to the beach all the way to Jericho and back. There are food stands, washrooms and picnic benches dotted along the walk. A great place to stop for food and drinks is the Jericho Sailing Club.  Sit outside upstairs on the patio. Walking around Jericho you will see many wild bunnies.

Take a look at Purebread Bakery for treats. There is one on West Broadway and one in Kitsilano. There is a Purdy’s chocolates on 4th Avenue and it is very close to Parallel 49/Lucky’s doughnuts.  Park in the Safeway parking lot then cross the street and head east. In Vancouver we mark direction by the mountains which are north.

Since you are so close, consider a visit to the museum of Anthropology.  

It's like you're a mind reader... I plan our vacations around the food.  Get the food places organized first and then see what's there to do.  I have all this mapped out already.  THANK YOU!  I will pass on the clothing optional one - good to know so that I don't accidentally end up there😁

2 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We saw the Lee’s doughnuts and were so tempted. This time of year is when we both go  for our annual physicals with our doctors. Our goal is to avoid being pre-diabetic or diabetic. 

I am happy to report my A1Cs are lower than last year despite all the recent cruises and the pre diabetic results  are  lower than last year.

Yeah, this is going to be a problem for me since A1C is in September, but hopefully I'll be okay.  Keep up the great work to avoid the D!

@YVRteacher    Can you help me find the Seawall?  The last 2 times I went we had problems.  Most recently, we went into Stanley Park via Robson, got to a place where we stopped to take photos (maybe had totems), but every time we tried to go further into the park, we kept getting stuck in a loop even w/GPS!  I know there's a trail where people walk, run, bike, take pictures... and I can't get to it!  Thank you!

Edited by boltnut55
  • Like 1

Yes, I can help you! I’ve gotten stuck on that loop myself before so I know exactly what you mean.  I’ll come back to this tomorrow with some photos and diagrams. The biggest tip I’m going to give you is to park either at the aquarium or where the horse drawn carriage tours start. This way you will be entering Stanley Park off of Georgia Street and not off Robson.  Stay to the right to ensure you don’t get in a lane that goes over the Lions Gate Bridge.  (However, if you do go over the bridge, keep on going to West Van for a stop at Savary Island Pie Company!)

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1

Here is the intended post. 

We loved the water taxi to Granville Island as suggested by @YVRteacher.

After walking around the market area which had so many yummy food options, we were hungry but wanted a sit down restaurant and seafood. We walked over to The Sandbar restaurant. I highly recommend it for the excellent food, view and service.  

I got the Brussel sprouts as an appetizer followed by Arctic Char with broccolini and peppers and they were all delicious. My husband got a cup of clam chowder followed by a salmon burger with a Caesar salad. He really liked his food, too. Mine was supposed to come with coconut rice or mashed potatoes but I asked for extra veggies instead. 

I thought the fruit stacked like that in the market was really neat. The market reminded me of Pikes Place market in Seattle but the market on Granville Island seemed cleaner and well organized. 

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4816.jpeg

IMG_4818.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4833.jpeg

IMG_4828.jpeg

• Like 3

After walking around Canada Place and that area, we walked to the train station to figure out where to go as we plan to take the train to the airport when we disembark. It’s about a 2-3 block walk from the cruise port. 

When we got back to the hotel, we were tired and hungry and didn’t want to walk very far to a restaurant even though I really want to try Cactus Club as suggested by @YVRteacher 

We decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, the Honey Salt which was listed as a farm to table type of restaurant. I got the arugula salad and my husband got the Caesar salad again. We were really hungry with all of our walking and we asked the waitress for her recommendation.  She suggested the beef short ribs if we were hungry or the fish entrees if we wanted something light. We both ordered the beef short ribs. The food and service were great. The best part of the arugula salad was the roasted artichokes. 

IMG_4860.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 3

We are staying at the JW Marriott Parq with a discounted rate. It’s a beautiful hotel but with the very discounted rate, we are on a low floor with no view unless you like looking at the wall of a stadium. We cannot complain as they allowed us to check in so early and it also was nice to stay in a different part of the city. The room is very clean and quiet.  

My favorite amenity is the park area on the 6th floor with the fountains. The rooftop like deck area with a hot tub and bar with food service on the 17th floor has a Vueve Clicquot theme. 

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4788.jpeg

IMG_4790.jpeg

IMG_4792.jpeg

IMG_4793.jpeg

IMG_4789.jpeg

IMG_4791.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

• Like 5