Infinity Barcelona to Lisbon October 2023.

Ine

I have read various older reports about this cruise. We are about to book the sailing October 20 from Barcelona to Lisbon in  a room with balcony. We have sailed with X in the past a few times, but I have some questions re the various ports. My husband can only walk short distances. If we use the shuttles in the ports from the dock into town do they come more or less close to the centre and/or  e.g. hopon off buses? Any special tour , either booked in the ship or private you can recommand? We have been to Barcelona before and once did Palma in a rental car some years ago.  All other ports are new to us. 

I know many reports are from some time back, but I hope somebody who made this cruise can answer my questions. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Ine

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

It would help if you would name the ports.

People who sailed this earlier this year willl know, but indeed better to name it.

Starting in Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz, Porto and ending in Lisbon. 

26 minutes ago, Ine said:

People who sailed this earlier this year willl know, but indeed better to name it.

Starting in Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz, Porto and ending in Lisbon. 

Hi, I haven’t done your cruise itinerary but have visited all named ports either on a cruise or as a land stay.

Firstly, I must say uneven pavements and cobblestones pretty much all ports. Also by the end of October I would expect a few damp days and this can make the cobbles slippery too. Has Celebrity advertised shuttle buses into the town centre as they don’t always do this? Usually once you are off the boat either you access a booked tour, get in a taxi or walk to where you want to go to. The only times I have seen regular shuttles are when you are moored in a container port.

I do suggest you click on Celebrity excursions first and look at the tour ratings as mild, moderate…It will give you an idea as to how much your husband will be able to access. My personal recommendations for each port are as follows.

Barcelona. As you have been before and probably done the obvious there is an archaeological museum, very interesting and not very big. On the HoHo route. You could combine this with a tapas lunch.

Valencia, I seem to remember we did a couple of hour city tour with a few stops for photos, one church (can’t remember which but it was beautiful) and then a visit to the local market. The market was lovely full of local produce including lavender in pretty little bags. You could either look at doing this as part of a tour or simply see if you can taxi from the port. Celebrity sometimes does a chefs market tour, this includes a walk around the market with one of the executive chefs followed by a dinner later incorporating some of the produce bought…Might be worth seeing if this is available on your cruise.

Years since we were in Malaga, I seem to remember it being busy, busy. I would think most people head out. I seem to recollect you can get to Alhambra, Ronda, and Nerja from there. We visited all these sites on a weeks stay outside Malaga. Alhambra is beautiful and as much of your tour is inside it is pleasantly cool but it is big! Ronda has ups and downs but if you research you could work out if it is doable. Nerja also nice but includes caves…unsure if that would be suitable for your husband. If there was a coach tour that incorporated Ronda and other sites with photo stops this could be a good option. Hopefully someone can advise more on choices here.

Palma. Look up the train excursion from Palma to Soller. You could do this independently and just get a taxi from the port to the station. As you are sightseeing the mountain regions on a train it is ideal for those with mobility issues. If you do decide to do this independently I suggest you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the port.

Cadiz, we did a walking tour, about two hours. It was lovely but tiring. I honestly think it would be too much for your husband. I would suggest that maybe you look for a brief city coach tour. I seem to remember one RC option (we were on an RC ship when we visited this port) was a coach tour of both Cadiz and Jerez…If this is available it could be worth considering. Jerez is one place I have always fancied visiting. These type of tours tend to be mainly on the coach with photo opportunities so could suite you. If they offer ‘time on your own’ at the end you could simply enjoy a nice drink at a bar…

Porto, it would be rude not to book an excursion to one of the numerous vineyards and port distilleries. Usually coach trips available that include a trip through the valley and a light lunch with port, obviously!

Lisbon does have lots of up/downs and cobblestones. It is beautiful but hard to walk. There is a HoHo bus…You may decide to simply circuit if you have limited time. I seem to remember there were short river cruises offered too. I just checked and there is a HOHO boat…That could be an easy option for you. Obviously I haven’t used myself but I think I would if I visited again! Looks like it is just under €50 each…

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? Some fellow guests may have already done the on line searching and have arranged tours where there are still places available…I do suggest, however, that you are honest and open about your husband’s limited walking ability as he could end up on a tour that exhausts him or he could end up slowing down the rest of the group.

Sincere best wishes for a lovely cruise.

• Like 2

Thank you Chemmo for your grreat reply. Earlier this year there was a similar cruise and I hope some of those passengers will tell me more. On those earlier postings there were photos of the shuttles (often with a charge). We certainly know how little my husband can walk, so we often do private tours, rent a car or do shipstours. We have not booked yet, but hope to make the decision within a few days. 

7 minutes ago, Ine said:

Thank you Chemmo for your grreat reply. Earlier this year there was a similar cruise and I hope some of those passengers will tell me more. On those earlier postings there were photos of the shuttles (often with a charge). We certainly know how little my husband can walk, so we often do private tours, rent a car or do shipstours. We have not booked yet, but hope to make the decision within a few days. 

I have cruised a few times pre or post surgery and I know how hard it can be to find suitable tours.

Sometimes we have simply enjoyed an ‘empty ship day’ when options off ship simply sounded like too much hard work.

In all the ports you mention there are numerous little cafes and bars where you can break up your walking. I think you will also find lines of taxis at each port so even if you decide not to do too much you can always pick one museum or one church etc to direct a taxi to then go from there.

The only other comment I would make is that waits for the HOHO buses can be quite long and there are rarely benches. If he struggles to stand as well as walk a walking frame with a built in seat could be an idea…

We are on Infinity next September, let us know how you enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1