Naples to Ischia

GizmoCat

I would like to go to Ischia on my upcoming trip on Getaway.  Ship is due to arrive at 6.00 am and leaves at 7.00 pm.  There seem to be a number of different options - ferry/hydrofoils with different companies.  Can anyone advise if buying a ticket for the 8.55  from Molo Beverelloto (which seems to be closest to the cruise port) then returning on either the 3.55 or 4.15 sounds like it is doable?  There is also one at 4.55 which takes an hour but am always wary of getting back at the last minute!

It's very easy to do, especially if you go from Molo Beverello.  You can purchase tickets in advance but there's really no need to.  If it happens to be pouring down rain on the day, would you still go?  The tickets will not be refundable.

Note that there are three different ferry ports on Ischia (Porto, Forio, and Casamicciola), so be sure you know where you want to go.

Which ferry company doesn't matter, this is basic public transportation, one is as good as another.

Regarding your return time, I would agree that the 4:55 is a bit late; however, if for some reason you miss your earlier time at least you have a fall back option that's still likely to be fine.

On Ischia it's not likely to be a beach day. What are you planning? (I only ask because I found it pretty dull....)

• Thanks 1

We have taken the hydrofoil/jetboats from Molo Beverello (twice) with no problems.  Completely agree with Euro Cruiser that there is no reason to buy tickets in advance.  Just get off your ship as early as possible, walk over to the ferry port, buy tickets on the next high speed boat, and away you go.  \\

However!  Keep in mind that there are only a limited number of boats moving between Naples and Ischia.  So definitely check the schedule and make sure there is a return boat that gets you back to Naples in plenty of time.  I will confess that when taking boats to places like Ischia or Procida, there is a "Plan B" in the back of my mind.  Plan B is what we would do if for some unseen reason, we could not get back to Naples in time for ship.  Ferries can break down, and unexpected weather can cause infrequent cancellations.   When we have done Ischia and Procida, it was on cruises where getting to the next port was relatively easy.  While we have never had to actually invoke "Plan B" this is part of the basic planning that goes with DIY.

Hank

• Thanks 1