Anything I should know about the Explorer?

You know, things like “don’t miss this” or “avoid that”. You see, my wife, daughter, and 12 year old grand daughter are boarding the Explorer in Seward this very minute. I didn’t go, as this is more of a “girls night out” on a major scale. And my last cruise was Alaska. So we decided to use the cost of my fare on this cruise toward a cruise with a different itinerary as a couple — perhaps next spring. In any event, nobody here has cruised the Explorer before, so we know little about the good and not so good (if there is any of that). So please inform me. I am in contact with the cruisers, and I can convey any info to them.

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

You know, things like “don’t miss this” or “avoid that”. You see, my wife, daughter, and 12 year old grand daughter are boarding the Explorer in Seward this very minute. I didn’t go, as this is more of a “girls night out” on a major scale. And my last cruise was Alaska. So we decided to use the cost of my fare on this cruise toward a cruise with a different itinerary as a couple — perhaps next spring. In any event, nobody here has cruised the Explorer before, so we know little about the good and not so good (if there is any of that). So please inform me. I am in contact with the cruisers, and I can convey any info to them.

I’d love to know what your granddaughter thinks of the cruise! I’m planning a family trip in 2025, including 15 & 17 year old grandkids. I want the focus on Alaska rather than a huge ship experience. 
Did they do the train from Anchorage? If so, what did they think?

TIA

Grand daughter is very mature for her age. She is onboard now, and she is very impressed! They did take the train from Anchorage, and all enjoyed that trip. My wife and I had taken the bus about 20 years ago, and it wasn’t bad. But wife tells me the train is far better. In fact they flew to Anchorage, spent the night, rode the train to Seward the next day, spent a night in Seward, and embarked the next day. In doing so, they hoped to avoid the unreliability of airlines that has been giving us problems — although there were none this time. And I assure all that grand daughter is very mature, and is in fact an artist. She is probably less likely to disturb fellow guests than I am. And I am almost 80!

• Thanks 1

Well, this, for me, is like taking a cruise without leaving home! By telephone conversations, I have learned some very good things. When the party of wife, daughter, and grand daughter arrived at the Regent check in point, there were no lines whatsoever. Wife asked if they were too early, and was told “not at all”. They were able to go for a buffet lunch that grand daughter reports as great. Of course, there was a wait to get the suite ready, but great places to wait, with food, snacks and drinks. Wife reports that the suite (something above Cat. H, but I don’t know what) was smaller than the Celebrity Royal Suite we last sailed in, but was in great condition. And she says it has great storage, in light of the three people sharing it. And  the included laundry is very handy, as the party left home two days before embarkation. 

Find seats downstairs in the theatre - I tried about six locations upstairs and none them worked!  The site lines are either looking thru glass,  can’t see the whole stage,  safety front bar in your view, the list goes on.  

Your granddaughter may be very useful on a trivia team -  to have someone young for the current popular stuff.  

Ice cream cone at the pool bar! I’m sure they will have a blast!  

• Like 1

Yeah, I had read about problems with lines of sight in the theatre, and warned them about that before they booked. Grand daughter might be of help in Music trivia. . iDK.  I’ll tell them to get an ice cream come at the pool bar. Thanks.

Both fun and a way to meet people, go to Trivia when it is not interfering with time in port.  If  you don't have enough for a team, just wait and someone will ask about joining you.  A great way to meet people.

If concerned about Trivia interfering with afternoon tea, have someone go to the tea and bring back a plate of goodies for the team.

A good report, as the wifeWell, my wife says she is really enjoying her Explorer cruise to Alaska. She tells me that she has been told that the ship is at full capacity, yet no crowds or lines.  She really likes this ship better tha all the Regent ships we have cruised on (Paul Guiguan, Diamond, Navigator, Mariner, Voyager). This is

• Like 1

Sorry about the mess in my post above. Either my computer or I were malfunctioning. My wife, daughter, and grand daughter are on the last leg of their cruise — Ketchikan  to Vancouver. They have really enjoyed the Explorer. Great food and drinks and service. Only problems reported to me were about cigar smoke getting into the observation lounge, and view blockage in the theater. And these are well known, I think. And there was a problem beyond Regent’s control. And that was the number of “mega ships” in the ports at the same time. In most of the ports, there were twice the number of passengers from other lines in the port at the same time as the population of those port cities. So the ports were “slammed” with “over population” while the Regent ship was in port. As we are locals of Durango, Colorado, we are experienced in the problem of “excessive tourism” and all the port stops in Alaska have this problem — on steroids. But again, this is not Regent’s problem. But all should ensure that they are on a ship they enjoy being on (like the Explorer) in booking an Alaska cruise, as the ship experience may be the majority of the trip due to “excessive tourism” in the ports.  Of course, Regent has included shore excursions, but not all of us older people can take some of those. Again, not Regent’s fault.  We are thinking about taking another Regent cruise to the Caribbean next spring for my wife and I. But are worried that “over population” in port towns due to other mega ships may be a problem. By the way, I hate to fly, the way our airlines are now, so the Caribbean seems to be the only choice, unless air service improves.

Well, she rapidly met other kids onboard. I don’t know about any Regent teen programs, but I’m sure I’ll have more info on this when she gets home in about two days. But she is not a teen yet, as she is only 12. And I understand that all the kids onboard were very well behaved, and caused no problems at all. In fact, the 25 or so kids on this cruise were much like “little adults” from what I have been told. That has been our experience with all the kids on the many Regent cruises we have taken in the past. 

• Like 1

Well, wife, daughter, and grand daughter have returned. The reports are positive about Regent, with only a few minor issues. But the airline service was hideous, even though they all flew first class. The problems with Regent were few and small. They include smell from the cigar lounge in the observation lounge, musical performers who lacked enthusiasm, and some understaffing at the pool lounge. Like I said, problems few and small. And Regent had no responsibility for the airline incompetence. We even booked the air ourselves. 

The flight home was another matter. There was a blocks-long line at the entrance to the Vancouver airport where ONE guy was checking passports AND rescheduling people whose flights were cancelled by United. This would have caused my people to miss their flight if wife hadn’t raised cain with a United manager, who brought in reinforcements. Then when they boarded their flight to Denver, there was a delay because United couldn’t find their flight crew! This put them in a tight spot for catching the Denver to Durango flight. Except the day was saved because the  United flight to Durango was also late in getting to Denver. This service was in stark negative contrast with the service they had received on Regent. 

Wife booked a Caribbean cruise for she and I on the Splendor in March, which we can cancel within 30 days. While I would love a cruise on the Splendor, I don’t know if I can tolerate the gross lack of service by and incompetence of our airlines. And I should note that the airline problem described is not the only such problem we have had with airlines in recent past — nor is it the worst. I won’t go into those now. But our entire recent experience with airlines make me hesitant to attempt a cruise that also involves flying —unless and until the airlines get their acts together. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Dolebludger! Wonderful to know they all enjoyed the cruise since I just booked same in 2 years for my family. (It’ll take me that long to save the $ I’m paying for the 7 of us🤣). I’ve been a little worried my 17 & 15 year old grandkids would get bored, so appreciate knowing your granddaughter had a great time.

Actually, there were children’s programs on the Explorer — one program for younger children and another for teenagers. But my grand daughter at age 12 didn’t think she fit in either program. But she was able to meet people of her own age group, and have a good time. 

• Like 1