Live from Pride of America

mooline

Didn't know they didn't do the Na Pali coast anymore. That would be a total deal breaker for me. That is hands down the most memorable part of all my Hawaii trips, except the one to the Big Island, because we never got to Kauai on that trip.

image.thumb.png.2cf10298dc23c68caeb4d5171199a3da.png

image.thumb.png.44e3df77dc487cd9054e7aa07a7c9788.png

And the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. That's why Hollywood loves filming there.

• Like 1

Sadly, yes, Bob - NCL announced this about a month ago, and if ours wasn't the last to enjoy Na'Pali, it was probably the cruise right after us. Even the staff was very excited as we approached Na'Pali. Our daughter's cabin steward made a point to come by and ask, very enthusiastically, "are you ready for 5:30?" to which she said, "what's special about 5:30", and he replied, "just look out your window" (and her cabin was right up front)... 

Interesting that we had the rainbow, too - a sort of goodbye from Na'Pali to POA, perhaps.

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

Edited by mooline
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mooline said:

Interesting that we had the rainbow, too - a sort of goodbye from Na'Pali to POA, perhaps.

I think it will be back when the balance sheet improves (along with other good things).

9 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

I think it will be back when the balance sheet improves (along with other good things).

So, it was fuel cost that prompted the change? Interesting. I wonder how much extra fuel it costs them to go that way.

2 hours ago, mooline said:

@PTV, just our drivers licenses, and the kiddos didn't need anything (their parents were with them - there is an attestation form to be completed if they are traveling with adults other than their parents.

I'm not an expert, but I think the copy of your Naturalization certificate would probably suffice, if you're even asked. Does your license indicate other than US citizenship?

Thanks, Mooline. I don't see anything listed in my DL (CA Real Id) like citizenship status or any other restriction.

Yes, i will take all copies of the documents i have. Hopefully I get to board just with my DL. 

Thanks for the detailed review of the cruise. Looks like you all had a fantastic cruise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, omahabob said:

So, it was fuel cost that prompted the change? Interesting. I wonder how much extra fuel it costs them to go that way.

They didn’t say, of course, but that’s the best guess. The ship will depart Kauai later, so it’s not terrible, more time in this lovely little port, and more revenue for the Kauaians, one would hope.

42 minutes ago, omahabob said:

We have no idea.  It was basically just an afternoon loop that got the ship nowhere.  My guess is that it HAD to be fuel costs (and maybe reduced food and beverage because of an extended port stay).  The bean counters are working overtime these days and being forced to save beans wherever possible.  If it saves the cruise lines, then I'm okay with it (for a while).😎

24 minutes ago, mooline said:

it’s not terrible,

Nothing on a cruise is "terrible," but it is a kick in the groin for somebody who missed the Napali coast line on their once in a lifetime trip to HI.

4 hours ago, cruisinmems said:

Never sailed Norwegian before and we are doing POA.  Will you please tell me about the dress code for dining?  TIA

Hi @cruisinmems, hope you have a wonderful time on POA! There is a dress code (very relaxed) only in the Liberty Dining Room and in one specialty restaurant, Jefferson's Bistro. Of interest, the Skyline Restaurant, which sits right below Liberty, shares a menu, and is also called a main dining room, has no dress code.

The dress code is stated as collared shirts and pants for men, no flip flops, but we saw men in casual shirts without collars (not graphic tees, just plain non-collared shirts with a small logo) in Liberty. Women can wear nice shorts, tops, and dressy sandals with no issues. In other venues, there is no dress code, but one wouldn’t wear a bathing suit in any of the sit-down restaurants (except maybe the buffet…)

Definitely no need for any kind of formal wear, dress shoes, or suit coats.

Edited by mooline
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@mooline This is such a fantastic review. We are booked to go as well and on the same suite you were in. We were very excited but had some apprehension after reading the poor recent reviews. Thank you for putting our mind at ease with such an in depth review.

Thank you

• Like 1

@Chan50, happy it is helpful. I wish you a happy and safe cruise. We are all thinking of the people of Maui, such a sad and terrible time. 

Please come back here and let us know of your itinerary; there are some reports that you'll overnight in Kona vs Maui, and will cruise the Na'pail Coast once again. it would be good to hear firsthand how NCL is addressing the Maui disaster.

Thanks so much and safe travels!

On 7/2/2023 at 4:49 PM, omahabob said:

Prior to the Maui wildfires, it was still offered on select cruises. Not totally gone. It was done on last week’s cruise (diverted due to the hurricane) and listed for this week’s cruise (may be part of the revised itinerary until Maui reopens). 

• 2 weeks later...

This is making me so excited for our group trip on PoA in March!

Question - with the ports being more industrial, could you tell whether or not it was easy to catch a cab or Uber or public transport or something into a nearby town? Or if it was far of a walk to some sights? Thinking we're going to be doing mainly NCL excursions as well, but we have a few in the group who will likely go off on their own too.