Options to get from cruise port to Alta Museum?

37 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Would there be a taxi or other transport? It's too far to walk.

Thanks.

Try to go. The Rock  carvings are amazing. I was in Alta in the 1980s, shortly after they were discovered. And then some more were discovered along the coast of Western Sweden (don’t remember when). Would love to experience the museum now that more is known about them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the ship provided a shuttle into town for $20 r/t.  Definitely go to the Cathedral, they have a great movie about the Northern Lights.  The Cathedral is at one end of the town on a main street, walk towards the Salmon fishing museum and across the street is a hotel that is known for their chocolates.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 3:38 PM, Sallyandtex said:

Would there be a taxi or other transport? It's too far to walk.

Thanks.

I was there with NCL in June, and yes the Museum is too far to walk (if your not used to run marathons) - when I was there, there was a inexpenisive public bus, which sometimes runs only to the city center bus hub (right beside the "Northern Lights Cathedrale") and sometimes it carries on to the Museum (otherwise you change buses)...I heard there might be a App for the bus which makes the payment easier...and sometimes the bus is really full as many people don't like to pay $$$ for the shuttle or the guided tour...

And I agree the Alta Museum with the rock carvings is amazing but of course almost everything is open-air, so if the weather is horrible don't go there and if you do prepare for it. Also try to spend at least three hours there to do both loops to see everything there is to see...

Edited by onyx007
  • Like 1