Opinion please on hotels

On 7/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, 1island2go said:

So these are places to have a drink and get something to eat close to St Ermins? Thank you! Will check them out. 

Is it a safe place at night to get to these pubs if walking?  We chose this to be centrally located and to be able to walk to some of the sights so not always on the tube. We do want to be in a safe area that is not deserted or dicey though we will not be out super late after sightseeing all day. Mayfair and Westiminster were suggested, but either cost (points) or reviews had me look at this hotel. Hence the question for anyone who has actually stayed there or knows that area well. 

As mentioned, if you look on the map this hotel is almost surrounded by high security government buildings.  It is a very nice hotel in a nice area.  I feel very safe in London, safer than in my own home town.  You don't have to stick close to your hotel for dining and being just steps from the tube station, you have a world palate of dining choices to explore .  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

As mentioned, if you look on the map this hotel is almost surrounded by high security government buildings.  It is a very nice hotel in a nice area.  I feel very safe in London, safer than in my own home town.  You don't have to stick close to your hotel for dining and being just steps from the tube station, you have a world palate of dining choices to explore .  

Thank you!

On 7/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, 1island2go said:

Mayfair and Westiminster were suggested, but either cost (points) or reviews had me look at this hotel. Hence the question for anyone who has actually stayed there or knows that area well. 

Pretty much however you define it, the St Ermin's is in Westminster. 

All the pubs I mentioned are no more than 10 minutes walk from the hotel and you may eat at all of them. Casual dining restaurants can be found towards Victoria Station, for example in the Cardinal Place complex, and if you want to walk to somewhere more upmarket head across St James's Park, across Pall Mall and into St James's itself. And, as has been mentioned, you can jump on the tube or bus and literally all the cuisines of the world are available to you 😀

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Casual dining restaurants can be found towards Victoria Station, for example in the Cardinal Place complex, and if you want to walk to somewhere more upmarket head across St James's Park, across Pall Mall and into St James's itself.

For casual dining in the immediate area, I'd also give a shout out for a newish place that's very close to the hotel: Chez Antoinette on Palmer Street - we were impressed with both quality and value there.

And there are actually a couple of upmarket restaurants nearby: one is a Michelin-starred Indian called Quilon on Buckingham Gate, and the other is The Pem inside the Conrad opposite St James's Park Tube. Although we haven't been to either of them, I believe that they're both highly regarded by at least some reliable commentators. However, I suspect that they may not be the sort of thing that the OP is looking for.

I think it's fair to say that the area is pretty quiet in the evenings. However, it's not unsafe and I don't have any concerns about personal safety around there.

14 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

For casual dining in the immediate area, I'd also give a shout out for a newish place that's very close to the hotel: Chez Antoinette on Palmer Street - we were impressed with both quality and value there.

Oh, interesting, thanks. I think I know the one in Covent Garden from the Before Times!

OP, I'd avoid the Albert on Victoria street itself - it is a pretty authentically Victorian pub, having survived the Blitz, but a tourist trap and not great food. But you can often enjoy watching some Chelsea Pensioners mumping drinks off said tourists, so maybe pop in for a pint 😀