Anyone do Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward?

leisuretraveler223

9 hours ago, ljandiernp said:

Thanks for your reply. I think I may splurge on an add on boat trip to Kenai Fjords over the Gold Star seats as I haven't found an appealing thing to do in town. The big attraction there seems to be the aquarium, and I'd prefer to chance seeing wildlife in the wild. What did you enjoy doing in Seward? Laurie 

We went on the Resurrection Bay tour. The waters are more calm than the other tours. I saw several people talking about how rough the Fjords tour can be so we opted for calmer waters. We saw lots of orcas. It went from boring to very interesting I’m just a few minutes. 

Yes, the train from Anchorage to seward is scenic and nice, but different scenery than skagway if you want to do both. Unless you are going to drive so you can make stops, it sure beats the bus. More comfortable and you can walk around.  I am doing it again in 2 months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kat915 said:

Yes, the train from Anchorage to seward is scenic and nice, but different scenery than skagway if you want to do both. Unless you are going to drive so you can make stops, it sure beats the bus. More comfortable and you can walk around.  I am doing it again in 2 months. 

I agree - they are entirely different train trips, entirely different scenery and the history of the Skagway train is worthy of knowing. I think the train ride in Skagway is good to do at least one way.

I have done it 2x RT but only because the first time, it was too foggy to see anything.