Anyone do Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward?

leisuretraveler223

I had the same question and spent some time watching Youtube videos about it.  There were videos that showed both 'classes' available on the train, along with the food/beverages, and the view.  I was sold!

4 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Doing a southbound cruise out of Seward next summer. Has anyone had any experience with the Alaska Railroad to get from Anchorage to Seward? Worth it? Scenic?

Yes, I have. It is scenic. It is overpriced, with parallel bus services much less expensive. Is it worth it? If a railroad enthusiast, yes. If one intends to sleep, no. For everyone in-between it is a balancing of scenery against cost, a personal decision on being worth it.

GTJ has a good point.  It is pricey.  We paid $426 for the two of us in the Gold Star section.  

A few things helped in our decision to take the train as opposed to the bus:

• I hate bus transfers and do my best to avoid them when possible
  • We are considering it an excursion
  • Our cruise line did not include a transfer from Anchorage to Seward since we arranged our own flights
  • Skagway is not on our itinerary so we would not have the chance to take the popular train excursion there
  • It is scenic and has a chance to see wildlife (this comment is based on youtube videos I have watched where people give a review of their experiences)
  • The price of our tickets include 2 adult beverages and 2 meals

Some other random things:

• Our cruise line does not offer the 'cruise line train' so we booked directly through the Alaska Railroad website
  • If the Gold Star tickets were not available, we might have reconsidered taking the train even though I hate the bus 😞
  • The train leaves Anchorage at 6:45am and they ask you to check in around an hour early 😞 
  • I agree that if you are going to be sleeping most of the train trip, it might be good to determine if it's worth it

@leisuretraveler223:  While opinions about scenery are subjective a number of folks consider the train route between Anchorage and Seward to be more scenic than the roadway.  The rail tracks and roadway don't run parallel the entire route.  Approximately where the road way turns south to head to Seward the rail tracks divert into another valley.  The road and rail converge near the community of Moose Pass.  It is that valley which folks find so scenic, but the highway scenery is attractive too.  Just not as scenic in the opinion of a number of folks.  The drive from Anchorage to Seward takes about 2 to 2.5 hours.  In contrast the ARR trip is about four hours.

Given the size of your group have you considered contacting Salmon Berry Tours?  At least in the past they have done transfers from Anchorage to Seward which include stops such as the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and so forth.  

• Like 2

Post cruise, we spent a week in Alaska and took the train trip to Seward, spent the night there and caught the evening train back the next day. Yes, leaving Anchorage that early in the morning isn't fun, but we thought the whole trip very worthwhile.  We saw Beluga whales and a moose near the track on the way down and a spectacular sunset on the return trip.  I don't recall the price but know we booked early, so pretty sure the cost wasn't that expensive

• Like 2

RCI and maybe other lines offer a cruiseline train transfer. We used it from Seward to Anchorage and when we got off there were cruisers getting on to go the other way. This option can only be purchased directly with the cruiseline and it was we thought priced well, not as expensive as the train mentioned above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

RCI and maybe other lines offer a cruiseline train transfer. We used it from Seward to Anchorage and when we got off there were cruisers getting on to go the other way. This option can only be purchased directly with the cruiseline and it was we thought priced well, not as expensive as the train mentioned above.

Though you miss seeing Seward when you do that!

1 hour ago, lynncarol said:

I don't recall the price but know we booked early, so pretty sure the cost wasn't that expensive

The Alaska Railroad one-way fares between Anchorage and Seward are $119 coach, $243 first class. There is no discount for booking early. The distance between the two cities is 111 miles. Thus, the coach fare $1.07 per mile, while first class is $2.19 per mile. To compare, the railroad distance between Seattle and Portland is 146 miles. The Amtrak fares are as low as $27 advance-purchase coach, $66 full fare coach, $87 business class, which work out to be $0.18, $0.45, and $0.60 per mile, respectively.

The Alaska Railroad cost is exceptionally expensive, with few railroads being more expensive (in my words, "overpriced"). Yet, the railroad can charge such expensive fares because there are so many people willing to pay these exorbitant fares, either not realizing the degree to which the fares are expensive, being carefree on vacation and not being concerned about cost, being a railroad enthusiast and succumbing to fare as fare required to ride upon this particular train route and/or its equipment, or similar reason.

The bus fares, $69 one-way via Alaska Cruise Transportation, $75 one-way via Park Connection, are less expensive than the Alaska Railroad, but are nonetheless overpriced as well. These fares are $0.62 and $0.68 per mile, respectively. To compare, between Seattle and Portland the Greyhound Lines fare is $25 one-way, or $0.17 per mile.

There is very little in Alaska that is inexpensive. Transportation in Alaska is generally expensive (perhaps the only significant exception being local public transportation, which in Anchorage costs $2.00, a fare comparable to cities of its size in the Lower 48).

I've taken southbound train several times.  I enjoy it.  If you take the 6:45 a.m. train, you will arrive in Seward around 11, and in plenty of time to take the 6 hour boat tour of Kenai Fjords, before boarding your ship.  Pretty much a perfect day in Alaska, IMO.

Kenai Fjords by small boat (catamaran) is not to be missed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

The Alaska Railroad one-way fares between Anchorage and Seward are $119 coach, $243 first class. There is no discount for booking early. The distance between the two cities is 111 miles. Thus, the coach fare $1.07 per mile, while first class is $2.19 per mile. To compare, the railroad distance between Seattle and Portland is 146 miles. The Amtrak fares are as low as $27 advance-purchase coach, $66 full fare coach, $87 business class, which work out to be $0.18, $0.45, and $0.60 per mile, respectively.

The Alaska Railroad cost is exceptionally expensive, with few railroads being more expensive (in my words, "overpriced"). Yet, the railroad can charge such expensive fares because there are so many people willing to pay these exorbitant fares, either not realizing the degree to which the fares are expensive, being carefree on vacation and not being concerned about cost, being a railroad enthusiast and succumbing to fare as fare required to ride upon this particular train route and/or its equipment, or similar reason.

Thanks for the update, although since we used the railroad pre=pandemic, i know fare were less than presently quoted. However, you are certainly correct that fees reflect what the public is willing to pay.  This past Forth of July holiday my husband and I plus a grandchild were in Philadelphia visiting my sister.  We thought our grandchild would enjoy taking Amtrak into New York city and back for the day. (Something we did several times in years past).  To my horror, for the 3 of us the cost would be almost $400 dollars.  And, as I am sure you know, that distance is under 100 miles. Obviously we nixed that idea but I just now rechecked the current fares and found them to be considerably less, now the holidays are over. Still, my philosophy is if I know I will never get the chance to do it again, go for it, regardless of cost and that is how I feel about the Alaskan railway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lynncarol said:

We thought our grandchild would enjoy taking Amtrak [from Philadelphia] into New York city and back for the day. * * * To my horror, for the 3 of us the cost would be almost $400 dollars. And, as I am sure you know, that distance is under 100 miles. Obviously we nixed that idea but I just now rechecked the current fares and found them to be considerably less, now the holidays are over.

The northeast corridor is as well overpriced, largely because the trains are used by business travelers and Amtrak is able to get away with it (particularly when business travel is time sensitive). The problem is exacerbated during holiday periods, with the result being that the northeast corridor is the only place where Amtrak consistently makes money. Fortunately, the corridor is so densely populated that there are many competitive transportation services and one can find transportation at very good fares. Even Amtrak offers some good fares, with off-hour trains between New York and Philadelphia having advance purchase fares as low at $10 one-way, and during the day at $19 one-way (though next to Acela first class fares over $200 and approaching $300!).

Alaska is unlike the northeast corridor because neither of these two characteristics is present. First, there is virtually no travel on the Alaska Railroad for business purposes (although there is periodically discussion of commuter train travel). But like business travelers, the Alaska Railroad has a market of leisure travelers who are willing to pay exceptionally high fares. Second, there is no dense population in Alaska. There is simply not enough ordinary demand for there to be a network of competitive transportation service. But like the northeast, there are many leisure travelers without automobiles so that there is at least some demand for competitive services (e.g., Seward-Whittier to Anchorage, Anchorage to Denali), although not that competitive because, again, the travelers are will to pay high fares. Between the similarities and differences, coupled with the high cost of doing business in Alaska generally, transportation costs in Alaska are exceptionally high, and there are few choices to avoid those high costs.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, quack2 said:

I've taken southbound train several times.  I enjoy it.  If you take the 6:45 a.m. train, you will arrive in Seward around 11, and in plenty of time to take the 6 hour boat tour of Kenai Fjords, before boarding your ship.  Pretty much a perfect day in Alaska, IMO.

Kenai Fjords by small boat (catamaran) is not to be missed.

I completely agree!

We took the train (gold dome service) a few years ago and LOVED it. We arrived into Seward a day early and were able to take one of the glacier/whale watching tours. We boarded the ship the next day at 11 with no line because most people arrive later in the day due to an 8 pm departure time. We were the first people to board the ship.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in whether or not anyone has an opinion about the Gold Star vs Adventure class seats? Since an Adventure class passenger can chose to purchase a dining room meal and an adult beverage if they want to, the only real difference seems to be access to the high-up dome seating. Even the Adventure class information refers to some seats that sound like they are large-paned, just not up at a height. Having viewed the videos on You-tube, I think that there may be advantages in either location. If an animal were at a distance, up high would be good. If it were close to the tracks, lower might be better. Laurie

2 hours ago, ljandiernp said:

I'm interested in whether or not anyone has an opinion about the Gold Star vs Adventure class seats? Since an Adventure class passenger can chose to purchase a dining room meal and an adult beverage if they want to, the only real difference seems to be access to the high-up dome seating. Even the Adventure class information refers to some seats that sound like they are large-paned, just not up at a height. Having viewed the videos on You-tube, I think that there may be advantages in either location. If an animal were at a distance, up high would be good. If it were close to the tracks, lower might be better. Laurie

We traveled using the Gold Star service last September. We enjoyed the experience and considered it to be the first excursion of our trip.  We enjoyed being under the glass roof the whole time.  Even thought it was raining, we always enjoyed the viewed.  I felt there were fewer people in the Gold Star section.  The bar was very accessible in each of the Gold Star cars and rarely had a wait.  If you can splurge on the price, I think it's worth it.  But the Adventure class is still good.  You will have a glass roof car and open air car that is shared.  If you do not drink or want a meal, it could be the more affordable option. 

15 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

We traveled using the Gold Star service last September. We enjoyed the experience and considered it to be the first excursion of our trip.  We enjoyed being under the glass roof the whole time.  Even thought it was raining, we always enjoyed the viewed.  I felt there were fewer people in the Gold Star section.  The bar was very accessible in each of the Gold Star cars and rarely had a wait.  If you can splurge on the price, I think it's worth it.  But the Adventure class is still good.  You will have a glass roof car and open air car that is shared.  If you do not drink or want a meal, it could be the more affordable option. 

Thanks for your reply. I think I may splurge on an add on boat trip to Kenai Fjords over the Gold Star seats as I haven't found an appealing thing to do in town. The big attraction there seems to be the aquarium, and I'd prefer to chance seeing wildlife in the wild. What did you enjoy doing in Seward? Laurie 

55 minutes ago, ljandiernp said:

Thanks for your reply. I think I may splurge on an add on boat trip to Kenai Fjords over the Gold Star seats as I haven't found an appealing thing to do in town. The big attraction there seems to be the aquarium, and I'd prefer to chance seeing wildlife in the wild. What did you enjoy doing in Seward? Laurie 

I would definitely do the Kanai Fjords trip! I think that is a good compromise.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I would definitely do the Kanai Fjords trip! I think that is a good compromise.

Hi Coral, and If anyone else is following this thread, I called the reservation line and talked to an agent about my options. Turns out one can travel on Adventure class in one direction and Gold Star in the other. So, we are going to Seward on Adventure class in the morning, going on the Kanai Fjords trip and then traveling back on the Gold Star level on the way back, allowing us to have dinner in the dining room. She told me that although their web site indicates that one can eat in the dining room even if not in Gold Star class, that is entirely dependent on available seating. At the end of May, when we are traveling, she expected we'd be shut out of dining room seating. I am now very excited about this first excursion of our Alaskan vacation. Thank you for helping me out, Coral! Laurie

Posted (edited)

These are my thoughts although I will admit that I am commenting on the basis of ignorance.  I have done the drive from Anchorage to Seward several times and have never done the train.  I have also done the train from Anchorage to Denali and disliked it intensely.  I have done the trains in Skagway several times but only because we were taking the grandkids to AK.  The kids enjoyed the Skagway train.  To me they were merely blah.  On the other hand I have just done the train ride from Bergen Norway to Oslo in the winter which is properly advertised as one of the great train rides in the world and the ride is truly great.

My problem w train rides is that when I travel I like to be in control of what is happening which does not happen on the AK train rides.  I like to take photographs - not snapshots but photographs.  This is not possible on a train which goes past the photo op at 30 mph and does not stop.  If I come to a place where there is wildlife I want to be able to stop and look at it with my binoculars or spotting scope or get out the camera AND the tripod and then compose a decent photograph.  I have no problem driving and looking at stuff and my wife is happy to tell me that there is a good photo op ahead.  She is also happy to drive while I am looking.  I do not want to be in the position of not looking outside of the window just as we pass something really great or not being able to get a photo because the damn trees on the side of the track show up in every picture I take.

Sightseeing from a train may work for some people.  They just don't work for me.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

These are my thoughts although I will admit that I am commenting on the basis of ignorance.  I have done the drive from Anchorage to Seward several times and have never done the train.  I have also done the train from Anchorage to Denali and disliked it intensely.  I have done the trains in Skagway several times but only because we were taking the grandkids to AK.  The kids enjoyed the Skagway train.  To me they were merely blah.  On the other hand I have just done the train ride from Bergen Norway to Oslo in the winter which is properly advertised as one of the great train rides in the world and the ride is truly great.

My problem w train rides is that when I travel I like to be in control of what is happening which does not happen on the AK train rides.  I like to take photographs - not snapshots but photographs.  This is not possible on a train which goes past the photo op at 30 mph and does not stop.  If I come to a place where there is wildlife I want to be able to stop and look at it with my binoculars or spotting scope or get out the camera AND the tripod and then compose a decent photograph.  I have no problem driving and looking at stuff and my wife is happy to tell me that there is a good photo op ahead.  She is also happy to drive while I am looking.  I do not want to be in the position of not looking outside of the window just as we pass something really great or not being able to get a photo because the damn trees on the side of the track show up in every picture I take.

Sightseeing from a train may work for some people.  They just don't work for me.

DON

I felt the opposite. I was on the bergen to oslo train a few weeks ago and just thought it was okay. No way to get pictures without window glare but the snow was pretty.

I much preferred the skagway train since I could get pictures outside without window glare and feel the wind on my face. I felt a part of the scenery and got great pictures. I liked the history and scenery also.  I find taking a train bus combo in skagway to be the most enjoyable.

Edited by Kat915

I prefer the Anchorage to Seward train ride over the Skagway one.

I haven't done the Norway one. I have been there, just haven't done the train ride. I want to do the cog in Flam.