HAL's Lifeboats

BobbiSox

39 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

So one would hang their butt out the exit and hang on tight?  (Assuming one could make their way through the masses.). I’m also picturing a chain reaction of vomiting.  That would be fun.  On the bright side… the less to digest, the less to eliminate.  

Yes, that is how it would happen, much like in the old sailing ship days, when the crew  would climb out on the cathead (the spar that is over the anchor at the bow on either side) and hang their feet on one side and the business end over the other.

As for vomiting, that is what the bilge pump is for.

• Thanks 2

I'm curious about space for lift support items. I have a pump connected to my heart. In case of an evacuation (given there would be time) I would have extra batteries, wall unit and charging unit. This takes up the room of a small suitcase. However, without those items I won't live longer than 20-30 hours. I mostly do Alaskan cruises and the closest hospital that can support my devise is Seattle. So if we are evacuating somewhere in Canada I will need those batteries in order to survive until I can be brought to a hospital. 

I know there is always a risk going on a ship,m especially for my own circumstances and I need to make that decision personally. But will I be in an arguing match with someone if I show up to a life boat with a small emergency bag telling them my life depends on it? I would have documentation of course as well. 

1 hour ago, Linaeve said:

I'm curious about space for lift support items. I have a pump connected to my heart. In case of an evacuation (given there would be time) I would have extra batteries, wall unit and charging unit. This takes up the room of a small suitcase. However, without those items I won't live longer than 20-30 hours. I mostly do Alaskan cruises and the closest hospital that can support my devise is Seattle. So if we are evacuating somewhere in Canada I will need those batteries in order to survive until I can be brought to a hospital. 

I know there is always a risk going on a ship,m especially for my own circumstances and I need to make that decision personally. But will I be in an arguing match with someone if I show up to a life boat with a small emergency bag telling them my life depends on it? I would have documentation of course as well. 

While the batteries would be considered essential, not sure the charger and wall unit (not sure what this is needed for) would be.  Best bet would be to notify medical about your equipment soon upon embarking, and they may tag it, or at least note it on muster lists.  Do you request to use the "special needs" muster station?  There is always a nurse there.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While the batteries would be considered essential, not sure the charger and wall unit (not sure what this is needed for) would be.  Best bet would be to notify medical about your equipment soon upon embarking, and they may tag it, or at least note it on muster lists.  Do you request to use the "special needs" muster station?  There is always a nurse there.

Next year will be my first cruise since having the pump installed. I have 4 sets of batteries, 1 set wearing, 1 set in an emergency pack that is always on me and then 2 additional sets left charging. Each set has a charge of about 17 hours. The wall unit is how I plug into power at night. The chargers are of course for charging the batteries. 

I am submitting all information through our HAL TA. I didn't even realize there was a "special needs" muster station, thanks! I'll reach out and I definitely plan to talk to someone on embarking to ensure they have all the information needed. Thank you so much!

• Like 1