For those familiar with Venice, Florence, Rome and the Amalfi Coast-itinerary help please!

I thought I had this all figured out, but now I'm wondering if I should do Rome after the second cruise instead of in-between.  For those that are familiar with these places in Italy, which makes more sense?

We will fly into Athens on July 1 so we can tour Athens for a couple days pre-cruise.  After our NCL cruise from Athens to Venice July 3-12th (hoping to disembark in Venice on the 11th):

Spend the 11th in Venice (day and night), then take the high speed train to Rome on the 12th and stay there until we board our second cruise in Naples on the 15th.  After that cruise, go to the Amalfi Coast for 2-3 days and possibly back to Tuscany/Florence for a couple nights (This last part may very well get cut by dh as it involves staying more nights and a lot of backtracking).  This is my current plan but dh was surprised when he overheard me tell our daughter I wanted to go to Florence after.  One issue with this is I may not be able to get a Pantheon view at my chosen hotel since we would only be able to stay 3 nights, instead of the minimum of 4.  The Junior Suite I currently have booked at Hotel Smeraldo looks nice and much larger, but no views.  I think we would be happy with either, but dh really wants that Pantheon view.  Second issue is I don't know if I would be able to convince dh to go back to Tuscany/Florence.  

OR

Spend the 11th and maybe the 12th in Venice, then go to the Amalfi Coast (Or Sorrento) until our cruise on the 15th.  If we stay two nights in Venice, I would get an early train to the Amalfi Coast.  I see it's a little over 5 hours.  Yikes!  Maybe that would be better to do in the evening after we're tired from walking all day and then wake up refreshed on the 13th. I need to check the train schedule to see if they have any after dinner time.  I think that would take us to Sorrento, not the actual Amalfi Coast, correct?  Post cruise, stay at the Albergo del Senato in Rome (they have a 4 night minimum for a pantheon view) July 22-26, and do a day trip to Tuscany and/or Florence.  

Other important info:

I want to visit Positano for sure.  Not sure if we will stay there, stay in a nearby town, or Sorrento. We would also like to see Pompeii if we have time, but it's not my top priority.  I do love seeing beautiful churches, beautiful architecture, and beautiful beaches and shorelines (Almafi coast).  Rome is a top priority because there is so much to see and do there!  Getting it all in would be perfect!  

I want to see Venice, Rome, Positano, and Florence and a beautiful vineyard in Tuscany.  I may not be able to do it all... If something has to go it will be Tuscany/Florence.

I got a response from my NCL PCC.  His response was, "we cannot guarantee early disembarkation, but of course we will not trap you onboard."  What does this mean?  Do you go through immigration when you disembark there?  I don't know legally what a big deal it would be if we just got all our stuff and didn't get back on.  I'm sure it would be obvious lugging 4 bags with us.  

I need to plan out as much as I can this weekend, because Monday I need to start lesson planning for next school year.  Fyi, in case you didn't notice my name, I'm a teacher.  We are planners.  That's what we do.

I like your second plan better.  By all means, stay in Venice 2 nights.  There are trains that go from Venice directly to Naples (Napoli Centrale).  They are the Frecciarossa (red arrow) trains.  The overnight train is NOT direct, you have to change trains in Rome with a 50 minute layover.

Here is a Saturday schedule for the direct trains. (It will be the same next year.) 

If you take the 7:26 or 10:26  trains on Saturday July 13, you can arrange a transfer/tour with one of the tour companies that takes you to Pompeii first and then to your hotel.  Then you have the whole next day (July 14) to go to Positano and the Amalfi Coast, whether by ferries or car. 

If you stay in Sorrento you have the view of the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the background. In the AC, you have great views of the sea and it is more convenient to sightsee the coast by ferry.  

There are no direct trains from Venice to Sorrento.  The only one leaves at 6:26 am and requires two changes.

Your plan for Rome and Florence works.

There is no immigration when you disembark.  Just make sure you notify the cruise you are leaving so they don't go searching for you.

BTW - Do you teach at CMS?  What subject? (Just curious, I have friends with kids in CLT.)

Edited by marazul

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

I like your second plan better.  By all means, stay in Venice 2 nights.  There are trains that go from Venice directly to Naples (Napoli Centrale).  They are the Frecciarossa (red arrow) trains.  The overnight train is NOT direct, you have to change trains in Rome with a 50 minute layover.

I think I do too.  It makes it much easier to fit in Florence and we could get a Pantheon view room at Albergo del Senato since we'd be staying an extra night, which dh really wants. 

Here is a Saturday schedule for the direct trains. (It will be the same next year.) 

If you take the 7:26 or 10:26  trains on Saturday July 13, you can arrange a transfer/tour with one of the tour companies that takes you to Pompeii first and then to your hotel.  Then you have the whole next day (July 14) to go to Positano and the Amalfi Coast, whether by ferries or car. 

I like that idea.  So this would be Venice to Rome and then a private transfer to Pompeii and then on to our hotel, wherever we decide to stay?  Cruisemom had also suggested hitting Pompeii on our way to the Amalfi Coast.  Do they just sit in the vehicle and wait for us to tour Pompeii? Like RomeInLimo or someone else?  Either of those times would work.

If you stay in Sorrento you have the view of the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the background. In the AC, you have great views of the sea and it is more convenient to sightsee the coast by ferry.  

There are no direct trains from Venice to Sorrento.  The only one leaves at 6:26 am and requires two changes.

I'm waiting for hotel bookings to open to decide which place we are staying.  If it's a big price difference, we'll stay in Sorrento, otherwise on the AC.  I like the idea of taking the train to Rome, then get someone to take us to Pompeii and our hotel.

Your plan for Rome and Florence works.

Good!

There is no immigration when you disembark.  Just make sure you notify the cruise you are leaving so they don't go searching for you.

So this shouldn't be an issue?  I could save money by booking nonrefundable rooms.  I'm torn.  We're going to buy travel insurance through our TA, I need to see if it would cover these hotel rooms.  I know she said it would cover flights and the cruise(s).  

BTW - Do you teach at CMS?  What subject? (Just curious, I have friends with kids in CLT.)

No.  We live just outside of Charlotte in Union County, which is where I teach.  Is your friend the reason you visit Charlotte frequently?

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

like that idea.  So this would be Venice to Rome and then a private transfer to Pompeii and then on to our hotel, wherever we decide to stay?  Cruisemom had also suggested hitting Pompeii on our way to the Amalfi Coast.  Do they just sit in the vehicle and wait for us to tour Pompeii? Like RomeInLimo or someone else?  Either of those times would work.

It would be Venice to Naples (Napoli), not Rome. You don't want to pay for a transfer from Rome!

Cruisemom is wise. 😁 Yes, stopping in Pompeii makes a lot of sense and it would save you a lot of time. And yes, they wait for you with your luggage safe in the car. Ask them to arrange for a private guide in Pompeii.  The site is huge and the guide will take you in a well organized route to the highlights. Either Joe Bananas or Rome in Limo are good choices.

You will be glad you are spending the extra day in Venice. 

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So this shouldn't be an issue?  I could save money by booking nonrefundable rooms.

No, it should not be an issue. As they said, they can't stop you. But you must tell them before you disembark. 

I don't like prepaying for rooms this far in advance. The savings may not be that much and you might find another hotel you like better. The insurance might not cover itin that case. 

And we do have both friends and family in Charlotte. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, marazul said:

It would be Venice to Naples (Napoli), not Rome. You don't want to pay for a transfer from Rome!

Oops!  Thanks!  

Cruisemom is wise. 😁

Yes she is!! 

Yes, stopping in Pompeii makes a lot of sense and it would save you a lot of time. And yes, they wait for you with your luggage safe in the car. Ask them to arrange for a private guide in Pompeii.  The site is huge and the guide will take you in a well organized route to the highlights. Either Joe Bananas or Rome in Limo are good choices.

I will contact both for quotes.  Thank you!

You will be glad you are spending the extra day in Venice. 

I'm sure you are correct.

No, it should not be an issue. As they said, they can't stop you. But you must tell them before you disembark. 

Fingers crossed this works out!  lol

I don't like prepaying for rooms this far in advance. The savings may not be that much and you might find another hotel you like better. The insurance might not cover itin that case. 

It was quite a bit, but you are right.

And we do have both friends and family in Charlotte. 

Nice!

• Like 1

Wow, that is an ambitious itinerary!  We traveled last month from the 13th through the 27th, and those two weeks felt like a perfect amount of time for us. I am envious of those who can travel for a month, but that length is just not a good fit for our family...spouse is ready to return to work and my girls are ready to return to friends. Like you, I work in education (though an administrator now), and I understand being a planner!

We visited Venice, Bologna, Florence, and Ravenna, followed by a Croatia and Greece cruise on Royal Caribbean. We adored Italy! For a July trip, it will be hot and busy, but also amazing, I am sure.

41 minutes ago, TKATeacher said:

Wow, that is an ambitious itinerary!  We traveled last month from the 13th through the 27th, and those two weeks felt like a perfect amount of time for us. I am envious of those who can travel for a month, but that length is just not a good fit for our family...spouse is ready to return to work and my girls are ready to return to friends. Like you, I work in education (though an administrator now), and I understand being a planner!

We visited Venice, Bologna, Florence, and Ravenna, followed by a Croatia and Greece cruise on Royal Caribbean. We adored Italy! For a July trip, it will be hot and busy, but also amazing, I am sure.

It is!  lol Dh signed off on it so that's our plan.  I'm giving him several options for lodging, and letting him choose where he wants to stay.  We are doing this all in one trip because we aren't typically the type to fly this far for vacation.  I'm terrified of heights and flying so we love to take cruises from ports we can drive to.  I love the beach and dh the mountains so we do that quite a bit, and we both love cruises!  Next year, all our vacation budget will go to this trip, so I'm sure we won't do the beach, and if we go to the mountains it will be brief.  He says this will be a one and done for this area because there are places he would like to see as well, like Australia and Iceland.  Our children are young adults so it will just be the two of us, except the first cruise we will be with friends.  After that cruise we're all going our own way.  We realize July isn't the best time to do this, but with me being a teacher our options are limited.  

You're vacation sounds amazing too  I've seen some beautiful pictures of Bologna!  Congrats on becoming an administrator!!