Serenity to Alaska

Gregrat

Lee Ann and I are booked on the July 2nd Alaska Cruise round trip from Vancouver.

We plan on flying into Vancouver on Saturday the 29th giving us 2 full days to explore the city.

I have since learned that July 1st is Canada Day, similar to our Independence Day and I’m worried about crowds and possible chaos at the airport.

Since it’s still early we have the option to push the cruise back a couple of weeks into the 3rd week of July.

What would you do?

Thanks…Greg

48 minutes ago, Gregrat said:

Lee Ann and I are booked on the July 2nd Alaska Cruise round trip from Vancouver.

We plan on flying into Vancouver on Saturday the 29th giving us 2 full days to explore the city.

I have since learned that July 1st is Canada Day, similar to our Independence Day and I’m worried about crowds and possible chaos at the airport.

Since it’s still early we have the option to push the cruise back a couple of weeks into the 3rd week of July.

What would you do?

Thanks…Greg

Back in 2017 we took a July 3rd Serenity Alaska cruise from Vancouver,  we arrived in the early afternoon on Canada day, it was a Saturday.  I don’t recall any chaos at the airport but it was busy as usual, particularly going through a long line for immigration.  Then again, there were several flights from Asia that arrived around the same time as we did.  As far as crowds, it was very busy that weekend but it was fun,  we didn’t see it as a problem.  We stayed near Canada place at the shangri-la…our favorite hotel in Vancouver 

keep in mind that Vancouver is a very popular place, particularly in the summer months and more and more ships are sailing from there each and every year 

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Greg,I have flown to Vancouver near July 1 and it was not a problem. We were there over the July 1 holiday and thought it was a lot of fun. I feel the same way when we have been in certain USA cities including WDC over July 4. It's very exciting IMHO>

Summer is a busy time because Vancouver is a popular destination in itself plus it is Alaska Cruising Season. And you would be flying there rather than flying home before the holiday. I really don't think it makes a difference.

Since time is on your side if you want you could check the impact of the holiday on the cost of air and hotel. For hotels you should be able to see rates this month and for flights next month.

In the end, assuming no big difference in cost I would go with the date you prefer.

Keith

Have done this with Seabourn last year.  Issue was not the airport very quick through immigration.  Issue was the port area and transport in an out.  You can imagine how crowded port area is with all of the festivities.  But no different that DC, Baltimore or NY...  Hotel prices were high and we did book early.

During that period we had to Covid test on Canada day for our cruise, and the only place open was the airport facility (so had to make a special run back).

You should be fine..  Enjoy Vancouver, one of my favorite places.

Edited by PaulMCO