Mendelhall Glacier - Do we have time, how to do it?

BazAl

Heya,

Aug 8th @Juneau from 7AM-930PM.  Our first tour is with Allen Marine Tours for Tracy Arms from 915AM-415PM.

Looks like we have time - considering grabbing an uber/taxi and heading to Mendelhall glacier questions

1- Is it do-able, do we have enough time?

2-Best way to get there?  Shuttle, Taxi, Uber etc etc?

3- Waterfall + Glacier in close proximity right?  I see the visitor center closes at 730PM, but does the rest "close up".  Unsure if there's a gate or the other regulations

4- Any easy-moderate hikes/outlooks/places to get it

Thanks!!

I am going to tell you that if you go to Tracy Arm in a small boat, you will find Mendenhall incredibly underwhelming. I personally wouldn't bother going.

With all of the issues with Mendenhall - I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone can if you choose to go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I am going to tell you that if you go to Tracy Arm in a small boat, you will find Mendenhall incredibly underwhelming. I personally wouldn't bother going.

With all of the issues with Mendenhall - I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone can if you choose to go.

I agree with Coral. 

If the weather is decent, I might consider instead getting fish tacos at Deckhand Dave's and then walking down to the Mt. Roberts tram.

• Like 2

We have done the Tracy Arm excursion with Allen Marine, and throughly enjoyed it.  

Mendenhall has significantly receded so much since the first time I saw it.  I don't see the attraction of Mendenhall at all.  I agree with @Coral -- don't waste your time in trying to visit Mendenhall.

Interesting - I remember going onto Mt Roberts Tram back 10 years ago and I just remember there being a gift shop there.  On their site - looks like there is more now.  Including hikes.  Mind you the hikes are VERY VERY long - 9 miles +.   I do see one that is 4 miles long. Any recommendations on
"shorter" walks up there/other things to do now that it may be a bit different.

55 minutes ago, BazAl said:

Interesting - I remember going onto Mt Roberts Tram back 10 years ago and I just remember there being a gift shop there.  On their site - looks like there is more now.  Including hikes.  Mind you the hikes are VERY VERY long - 9 miles +.   I do see one that is 4 miles long. Any recommendations on
"shorter" walks up there/other things to do now that it may be a bit different.

I would only go up there if it is a clear day. I am not a fan of it - I also find it over-rated and over priced. With your schedule, I would probably walk around the docks, downtown area and maybe find a nice restaurant to have dinner in Juneau.