Charleston Port Access

Lancer525

It's been a minute since we've been to Charleston, and at my age, it's difficult to remember what the place is like! Can anyone explain the process of actually getting into the Port itself? What is the best street to be on to get into the cruise port? Is there adequate signage? We're looking to do it as smoothly and efficiently as possible, since we both get thrown with unexpected happenings!

Thanks!

I would also like to know these details as well. I have reviewed street views on Google maps.

It appears as though pedestrians can reach the vessel from Concord Street, between Cumberland Street and Market Street, opposite the customs house, by walking through Parking Lot A and across a path elevated above the water to the off-shore passenger terminal and the vessel docked alongside. The Google maps street view from July 2019 shows many persons appearing to do this. See https://goo.gl/maps/2PVKxqAPDe6pUgKh8

It appears as though motorists can reach the vessel from southbound Washington Street, south of Laurens Street, and driving themselves into a large parking lot. There appears to be remote baggage drop-off and passenger check-in within the parking lot, and then buses transport motorists to the aforementioned passenger terminal. A helpful video shows the motorist route. See https://youtu.be/upzsVmIbVIc

What is not entirely clear to me if whether there are baggage drop-off and check-in facilities for pedestrians at the aforementioned passenger terminal (accessed from Concord Street), or if Carnival Cruise Lines compels its passengers to walk from outside the passenger terminal off of Concord Street, up to Washington Street motorist entrance, and weave themselves on foot through all the motorists who are driving into the large parking lot, only to return to the passenger terminal by bus. It would not make sense to compel non-motoring passengers to do this, but it would not surprise me if the cruise line did so compel its passengers. Can anyone who has walked to the passenger terminal advise?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess not many people are taking Carnival short 4-5 days  cruises  that  embark there 🙄

It has been a port stop  when we have docked there  so no need for parking /driving  info 

Enjoy the cruise

We live near Charleston and have cruised out of there a few times so I will try to answer.   There is the parking lot and there is the pedestrian path.   The pedestrian path is where you see people walking from the port down a causeway into Charleston.  That is the people who are going for a cab or rideshare.  It is a bit of a walk but since non-port vehicles are not allowed near the embark/debark building, it is what it is.   If you wanted to take the pedestrian path and walk to your car parked at the port, it is possible but a bit of a longer walk.  

The alternative to the pedestrian path is a shuttle/bus that will take you to the parking area inside the port.  There is often a sizable line at debarkation but it does move pretty quickly and given the oppressive heat/humidity we have in South Carolina, a long walk after a restful cruise is not an option I would take so I always wait for the shuttle.   The shuttle takes you to a building sort of in the middle of the parking area and it is a short walk to the cars (mostly).  

Parking at the port can be confusing.  There are signs but, as with most places, the signs are not overly clear.   Here is a link with more information - https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/charleston-cruise-port-parking-address-amenity-info.  The entry into the parking area is not where you think so unless you follow the directions, you are likely to have to double back.  The cost is $21 per day (as of 8-1-23).  It is secured and patrolled.   Vehicles with a valid handicap placard or license plate are free.  Credit cards, debit cards, or money orders are accepted but note that cash is NOT accepted.   There may be other areas to park nearby but parking is always a problem in downtown Charleston and seldom cheaper so for me (who is very cheap) I park in the secured parking for the port as the best option.  

Getting from your car to the ship will sometimes be a challenge but it is not as hard as it sounds.  Things change so I can only speak to how it was last year when we cruised.  We parked and there was a guy with a little shuttle bus who picked us up and took us to the embarkation building (NOT the same as debarking).  There we checked in, left out luggage, etc. and then boarded another larger shuttle bus that took us to another building were we went through security and eventually boarded the ship.  That was the same building you go through at debarkation.  The embarkation building where we checked in was mostly temporary type buildings (think old mobile classrooms) but clean and most people were nice.  The shuttle bus driver from embarkation building to the building where we board the ship was not nice or helpful but of course had a tip jar.  The security people were decidedly unfriendly in my opinion but I may just have encountered some people in a bad mood.  Try not to let them ruin your time.  

Suggestions and thoughts - the port does not open for parking all that early and there is quickly a long line of cars waiting to get in.  If you have one of the first boarding times, you may want to either arrive really early to avoid the line or arrive a little late to avoid the line that will have built up waiting for the port gates to open.  When disembarking, there will be guys with luggage carts offering to help you but that is just to help you get the luggage to the shuttle bus (not from the shuttle to your car) so keep in mind you will be tipping them for a pretty short trip distance wise.  Traffic is sparse leaving so don't let the traffic when you are getting in make you think it will be bad leaving.  At the best of times, traffic in Charleston is confusing and you should plan on at least once going the wrong way down a one way street since it is inevitable.  Don't panic.  

Overall, stay calm and be prepared to follow instructions and you will have an easy time.  Stress too much ahead of time, which is easy to do trying to figure out Google Maps, will make things worse.  You will probably think "they should mark this better" or similar but remember that the City of Charleston dislikes the cruise port and is closing it soon so they can build more condos and shops so making things easier for cruisers is not something they are interested in.  The Carnival workers there do care and will try to do their best.  

As for Charleston itself, this is a port where you should definitely arrive a day or so ahead of time or plan to stay a day or two after the cruise.  There is so much to do and see and i find it a challenge to find a bad meal in Charleston.  The restaurants are all terrific (including my favorite place - Hyman's- right downtown).   

I'll watch in case there are any other questions but please keep in mind that the directions on that site I linked are far better directions than I can give so asking about specific street names will likely not be helpful. 

Wgeddings - thanks for detailed explanation - very helpful - have one question

You mentioned " the port does not open for parking all that early and there is quickly a long line of cars waiting to get in."

I have 9:30-10 arrival time.

I believe the entrance is at intersection of Concord and Lauren Streets

Generally where does the line star"

along Lauren Street? 

or

does line go up Concord Street

I was planning on coming down Washington St and making left on Lauren - is that OK or should I come down Concord St

On 8/5/2023 at 2:17 PM, mantle said:

Wgeddings - thanks for detailed explanation - very helpful - have one question

You mentioned " the port does not open for parking all that early and there is quickly a long line of cars waiting to get in."

I have 9:30-10 arrival time.

I believe the entrance is at intersection of Concord and Lauren Streets

Generally where does the line star"

along Lauren Street? 

or

does line go up Concord Street

I was planning on coming down Washington St and making left on Lauren - is that OK or should I come down Concord St

I wish I could give more precise helpful directions but I would end up causing more harm than help.  There are condo/apartments under construction in that area so traffic is frequently re-routed.   I could give you great directions (assuming I knew great directions) and when you go, a street here or there could be closed and I would end up messing you up.   

If you are coming in a day early (which I highly recommend and, unless it is somewhere like Charleston to me which is only about 1.5 hours away, I always do) when you get into town, drive to the port and see.   If you are flying in, since your tag mentions you are from Delaware, you would not be driving but then you would also not be asking about the route to take so I have assumed you are driving.  If that's wrong, let me know.  

Hotel prices in Charleston can vary wildly.   It is less expensive to stay further out in the city but then you have the cost/issue of coming into the city for the best food and sites.  Tell me where you plan to stay, confirm if you are driving, and I will try to give you some more specific tips.  

17 hours ago, mantle said:

Will be driving and staying at Sleep Inn, West Ashely - 1524 Savannah Hwy 17

Have arrival time of 9:30 - 10 

Thanks for offer of directions 

Directions would be as I mentioned.  Follow directions on the website I linked on the night before to look for closed roads and such. Traffic will be light in the port area the night before so you can get a good idea of exactly what to do Monday morning.  Looks like you will be about 5.8 miles from the port and with light traffic allow about 15 minutes. For Monday morning, allow at least 30 minutes.  

if you get in early enough Sunday, I encourage you to go to Patriots Point where you can walk though several navy ships.  Good way to stretch your legs after a long ride.  If you don’t like navy ships or lots of walking, head down to the old slave market downtown. There are horse-drawn carriage tours that are great.  There is also a great museum and aquarium available, again depending on how time you have and what interests you.  

if you do not plan to get in too early, be sure to get great food.  My favorite downtown is Hyman’s Seafood.  About 2 miles from the port and right next to the old slave market their food is outrageously good and very reasonably priced.  The gator sausage appetizer is great.  There is a place beside Charleston called Shem Creek (in Mount Pleasant so about 10-15 minutes from the Port) that is known for irs seafood. Almost every restaurant in Shem Creek is great but my favorite is Red’s Icehouse.  My favorite place in Mount Pleasant is Page’s Okra Grill.  Great seafood and other things.  The have won tons of awards and if some of your group want non-seafood while others want seafood, this is a great place.  

I hope that is some help.  Enjoy the cruise.  I really like the Sunshine so I know you’ll have a good time.  PS, watch for speed traps on I-95 in SC and when in Charleston!  While in Charleston, expect to go the wrong way on a one-way street at least once. 🙂. When you get back, you might want to post your turn by turn directions and others can see if that helps or if their trip to the port will be by a different route. 

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the detailed information. 

If I may ask an additional question- we have 6 middle aged/elderly ladies going on the Sunshine in December. 

Walking a long distance will be a problem. Will they be able to book a taxi or private transportation to drop them off directly at the cruise terminal? Their hotel is in Mount Pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and no.  There is no "directly at the cruise terminal" since you check in at one place then are bussed to another place to go through security and board the ship.  However, there are buses that take you and the uber/taxi can drop them at the first point pretty easily.  From there, transport is provided so they should not have long walks.  Don't hesitate to request a wheelchair if necessary though and I am sure they have arrangements there.  

• Thanks 1