Studio Balconies on Meraviglia

JamieLogical

@JamieLogical :

Please do submit photos.  On our recent trip aboard MSC Meraviglia, my daughter stayed in a studio inside.  It was cozy when the sofa was a sofa, and it was TIGHT when it was made up as a bed.  (Except the bathroom...  she had a full-size bathroom.)  And, of course, since it's a sofa bed, you can't store anything underneath it.

I'm curious if the studio balcony rooms also use a sofa bed?

ALSO - one thing to mention - MSC does twice daily service of the room (so the morning service the steward made it into a sofa, and the evening service he turned it back into a bed.)  BUT...  our room steward told us that they are being trained to do only once-daily service.  So I am pessimistic that MSC will succumb to this practice that is now becoming more widespread in the industry.  Which basically means that if you have a bed (e.g. sofa bed, pullman bed) in your room, it will stay a bed for the duration of the cruise, since there won't be anyone to change it back & forth as necessary.  (Maybe not as much a problem with a sofa bed, but definitely a problem with Pullman beds.)

Many thanks for your previous review of MSC Meraviglia; your pointers were very useful in helping the three of us prepare for the trip.  And we had a fantastic time!

-Jim

11 hours ago, Notch8 said:

@JamieLogical :

Please do submit photos.  On our recent trip aboard MSC Meraviglia, my daughter stayed in a studio inside.  It was cozy when the sofa was a sofa, and it was TIGHT when it was made up as a bed.  (Except the bathroom...  she had a full-size bathroom.)  And, of course, since it's a sofa bed, you can't store anything underneath it.

I'm curious if the studio balcony rooms also use a sofa bed?

ALSO - one thing to mention - MSC does twice daily service of the room (so the morning service the steward made it into a sofa, and the evening service he turned it back into a bed.)  BUT...  our room steward told us that they are being trained to do only once-daily service.  So I am pessimistic that MSC will succumb to this practice that is now becoming more widespread in the industry.  Which basically means that if you have a bed (e.g. sofa bed, pullman bed) in your room, it will stay a bed for the duration of the cruise, since there won't be anyone to change it back & forth as necessary.  (Maybe not as much a problem with a sofa bed, but definitely a problem with Pullman beds.)

Many thanks for your previous review of MSC Meraviglia; your pointers were very useful in helping the three of us prepare for the trip.  And we had a fantastic time!

-Jim

I definitely will post video and photos. There is obviously a dearth of information about this specific cabin type, likely because there are so few of them. Glad my reviews were of help to you and your family. I will be reviewing my upcoming sailings in September and October as well, though I fear I won't have as much information to report that I hadn't already covered in my past review of the Meraviglia.

Sorry,  my brain only saw studio.  I forgot about those few studio balcony cabins.  Video of Bellissima 14256 is likely the same layout.  I'd just avoid deck 14 under outdoor buffet seating.

Edited by Até

1 minute ago, Até said:

Sorry,  my brain only saw studio.  I forgot about those few studio balcony cabins.  Video of Bellisima 14256 is likely the same layout.  I'd just avoid deck 14 under outdoor buffet seating.

I didn't have a choice in my room location, as there are only four studio balconies on the ship and the other three were sold, so I will be on Deck 14. My only consolation is that the Deck 15 buffet seating is more concentrated toward the middle of the ship and my cabin is on the very corner, so there likely won't be people eating and hanging out at the railing *directly* above me. I have watched the one video of the Bellisima studio balcony about 100 times. I doubt there will be too much difference between the two ships. I saw the one video of a studio balcony on the Virtuosa (13265), the sofa is actually the kind that converts into bunk beds. Thought that was a little weird since I was under the impression studios were explicitly designed for one passenger.

1 hour ago, Até said:

This may be same person, booked when MSC was showing those corner Meraviglia+ cabins incorrectly and got a surprise once onboard.  He also has a second video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwQX2jNQtM

So it seems like on the Meraviglia Plus class ships, those cabins were just sold as balconies? Not studio balconies? I would be mad like the guy in that video if that happened to me!

Edited by JamieLogical