Whatsapp and Wifi HIA

Sailnsurf

1 hour ago, Sailnsurf said:

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to make Whatsapp telephone calls on either the standard HIA wifi package or the upgraded Premium package?

I have had success completing calls on the Premium package using both WhatsApp and T-Mobile WiFi Calling on both Nieuw Statendam (Quebec -> Fort Lauderdale) and Zuiderdam (World Cruise)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes we've done on both. But it also depends where the ship is as there are drop areas where the wifi doesn't work well. We also use FaceTime (iphone) or Facebook messenger calling. 

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I could use WhatsApp on our cruise to the Norway fjords.

Thanks (everone) but were you using the standard or premium packages?  Could you make telephone calls and message?

1 hour ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thanks (everone) but were you using the standard or premium packages?  Could you make telephone calls and message?

If I remember correctly, I was using the premium package for WhatsApp. I could send and receive messages and videos. I don't remember if I made calls.

We could use WhatsApp on the Noordam in Alaska. We messaged and had Premium package. Did not try to call. Used our cells in port. Skagway port was the worst for wifi and cell with Verizon. Mountains come down in a V and block the signal.

• Like 1